While the ever diminishing number of diehards whip themselves into a frenzy over a surprise update, the truth is that it is merely the latest, and now, officially, last in a series of Playbook disappointments for this user.

This update purports to fix an appworld/PayPal issue that has stopped some would-be customers from doing business with BB. I haven't been able to give BlackBerry money on Appworld in almost a year.

The fix did not work for me. The issue was still there when I tried to make a purchase after the install and restart.

Perhaps worse was the abysmal selection of apps worth even plunking down 99 cents for to do a test. I hadn't looked at Appworld in a long time. I guess my standards rose after I bought an Iphone in January.

The circle has now closed for me, and an iPad beckons.

Noone ever accused the folks from Cupertino of making it impossible for willing customers to part with their cash.
    09-10-13 07:46 PM
    backup Device and Reload OS, Factory Reload as I had this issue way way way way long ago and that fixed it.
    09-10-13 07:53 PM
    You certainly should be able to use an accepted payment source such as PayPal but there are many other ways to pay so BlackBerry did not make it impossible. Maybe you should just donate your BB equipment to a charity, school, or church and take another bite of the Apple then disappear into the walled garden.
    09-10-13 07:58 PM
    09-10-13 08:02 PM
    While the ever diminishing number of diehards whip themselves into a frenzy over a surprise update, the truth is that it is merely the latest, and now, officially, last in a series of Playbook disappointments for this user.

This update purports to fix an appworld/PayPal issue that has stopped some would-be customers from doing business with BB. I haven't been able to give BlackBerry money on Appworld in almost a year.

The fix did not work for me. The issue was still there when I tried to make a purchase after the install and restart.

Perhaps worse was the abysmal selection of apps worth even plunking down 99 cents for to do a test. I hadn't looked at Appworld in a long time. I guess my standards rose after I bought an Iphone in January.

Noone ever accused the folks from Cupertino of making it impossible for willing customers to part with their cash.
    This is going to be long. Had the problem for a year, finally found the solution. I opened a PayPal account under a different email address and get a $25 visa gift card from the bank my wife works at and used that for my funds, skipped adding bank account information. Went to BlackBerry world settings and changed it to that PayPal account. I get another gift card when I need to add to the account. Her bank gift card requires you register it online at their site so it can be used for online purchases. Haven't had a problem in almost a year. Pain in the ****, but it works. I think they want that $.99 readily available. I don't know, but I tried several credit and debit cards with 0 luck.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 09:31 PM
    I agree with Blackman91's suggestion to refresh. I have on several occasions also experienced an inability to update and/or purchase apps and remember also on a number of occasions Error Code 10000 showing up.

I just helped myself to BlackBerry's resources, did some research and among the suggestions was to refresh the app list. There were also a few more complicated suggested solutions but I tried the easiest, i.e., refresh, and it worked. I currently have no problems updating or purchasing apps, and did not have any problems even before today's update.

You can search BlackBerry's support resources such as its FAQs, if I am not mistaken, by error code. Just type "error code 10000" and it should tell you what it is and also suggest solutions. I know you're frustrated but don't give up on your PB yet. It really is a wonderful tablet. It takes some work on the user's part though, to find solutions when problems arise. I wish I remembered more of what else I did to address this category of problem so I could be more helpful.

Good luck.

Edit- After I posted my reply, I saw jh07's reply (post #5, not #7) suggesting a payment method. It reminded me of one occasion where I had to change my payment option due to a credit card on file with BlackBerry which not only had expired, but was also replaced with a new card number because the bank received some fraud warning about its credit card customers' accounts. I failed to inform BlackBerry. When I could not purchase apps, I struggled for a while to find a solution, and finally remembered the new card issue and I proceeded to change the payment option. In case you do not know how to do that - Go to Blackberry World in your PB, tap on My World, swipe from the top downwards to open a menu, select payment options and proceed from there. By the way, after tapping My World, you will see right below it to the extreme left the Refresh List button. Tap this to refresh your apps list. Try this first before doing the payment options route. As I stated above, it has worked for me in the past, though jh07's experience is different.
    Last edited by bb4ty; 09-10-13 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Additional info-
    09-10-13 09:31 PM
    That's basically the same crap they been slinging for years, I do see its from 2013, but same suggestions. No disrespect intended to you of course. But I spent a year almost reading that same stuff. I replied with my solution above. I was told that it would be resolved when BB10 came to PlayBook. I'm going back over a year or so.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 09:38 PM
    That's basically the same crap they been slinging for years, I do see its from 2013, but same suggestions. No disrespect intended to you of course. But I spent a year almost reading that same stuff. I replied with my solution above. I was told that it would be resolved when BB10 came to PlayBook. I'm going back over a year or so.

Posted via CB10
    What about the app list refresh?
    09-10-13 09:44 PM
    Had that issue once, went onto a PC and signed into BlackBerry World with my ID, and selected my devices and my apps showed up. Went to the PlayBook and did a reset Vol+/Vol-/power button all at once. Went to App World and refreshed. Saw my missing apps in the uninstalled, reinstalled.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 09:52 PM
    This issue has been resolved by RIM apparently.
    09-17-13 04:32 PM

I was just curious if you tried opening a PayPal account with a prepaid Visa Mastercard and attempted purchasing apps.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 09:05 AM