Posted this in WHERE ARE the updates?....

I have a friend that developed an app for the PlayBook using Webworks and he just received an email from Mike Kirkup saying to update the app using the Gold Webworks SDK rather than the one that was used prior to launch because there will be an update soon that will cause old webworks app to not function correctly

Here's the actual email

Hello,

I�m emailing you to inform you about an upcoming change to the BlackBerry Tablet OS that will affect your applications currently published in BlackBerry App World. You should have received a notice from the BlackBerry App World support team, however I am personally contacting you to ensure this message is clearly received. The reason for this proactive notice is due to an upcoming change in the BlackBerry Tablet OS that will directly impact applications created using BETA versions of the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS. Details of this change are explained in the following forums post.

Any BlackBerry PlayBook applications deployed in App World that were created using a BETA version of the WebWorks SDK are going to experience problems soon when users begin upgrading their OS. We have recently ran a report and discovered that you have apps currently deploy in App World that were created using Beta3 of the WebWorks SDK.

It is highly recommended that you download and install the latest version of the WebWorks SDK (not BETA, but Gold release � currently v2.0.0, published April 19th) which can be found here: BlackBerry - WebWorks SDK for Tablet OS features, downloads and documentation. This version of the SDK includes a fix that will prevent issues from happening in your application(s) after users update their OS. You must then re-build, re-sign and re-submit your application to App World in order to ensure that users can continue to access a functional copy of your application after they have updated their OS. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, however we want to ensure that you can continue to provide an optimal user experience for your users in BlackBerry App World going forward, as we improve the BlackBerry Tablet OS.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Mike Kirkup
    Sr. Director, Developer Relations
    -------------------------------------------------
    tstrike34, pkcable and JCjoel360 like this.
    06-02-11 12:11 PM
    the letter refers to a forum post from 4/20 that details the change in webworks. I am not sure how you think that means an update will come "soon" Of course there will be an "upcoming" update though, it could be next week, or next month though.
    06-02-11 12:18 PM
    Hate to burst your bubble, but your friend was using the pre-release version of the SDK.

I know this for two reasons, I'm an app dev and I've done webworks app also and remember when this came out.

And "(not BETA, but Gold release � currently v2.0.0, published April 19th) " from the very quote you used.

I still hope they come out with an update next week because of the UK release or whatever but sadly this post is debunked.
    1rico1 likes this.
    06-02-11 12:21 PM
    totally agree, what a waste of time ... lock this thread !!! or even better delete it !!!
    belsunce and rjkolo like this.
    06-02-11 12:24 PM
    the letter refers to a forum post from 4/20 that details the change in webworks. I am not sure how you think that means an update will come "soon" Of course there will be an "upcoming" update though, it could be next week, or next month though.
    The email itself is dated today, there have been several emails sent out by the App World team but this one sounds more urgent meaning that an update is around the corner and they want to make sure that everyone is using the latest SDK

It could also be wishful thinking but like I said, this email sounds more urgent than the others.
    06-02-11 12:24 PM
    True, but at the very least this provides some evidence that RIM does in fact know that the Playbook exists and are in the process of working on an update. <--sarcasm intendended.

But to be serious for a moment, does the email from Blackberry that the OP posted mean that many of the existing apps that have been approved and are available for sale/free on AppWorld were all created with a beta version of Blackberry Webworks SDK? If so, can we infer that those apps that will be created/updated with the Gold Webworks SDK will be more stable? Would using the Gold version mean that the quality of the apps would improve?
    06-02-11 12:25 PM
    Rim sent everyone an email telling them a new update was available two weeks after the update was release. That was a few weeks ago now. So, e-mails don't mean much to me.

Rim has been so quiet lately that it seems like an update will never come. One will come and probably within the next few weeks. I would imagine that it will come before the international release and Rim's next earning report. I could be wrong though.
    06-02-11 03:17 PM
    I saw today that Sprint has let slip that they will begin offering the wifi only Playbook on Sunday, June 5, 2011 (4G to follow at a later date). But its not as if RIM has to update the Playbooks before they ship. Media guys with revieiw models received multiple updates over the course of a few days, and we had 2 quick updates within a few days of launch. It would make sense, however, for RIM to time an update to create some positive buzz right as the new markets are opening up, but all of these marketing nuances may be subject to the programing difficulties iherent in a new device running a new OS.
    06-02-11 03:46 PM
    Hey everyone,

I can vouch for what the OP is saying. I am a developer and have an app that is in the app world. Because my playbook app hasn't been updated with their latest SDK, I was emailed directly by Mike (from RIM) to inform me that I need to do it asap because when the next release goes live, my app will not be functional. When I replied back to him, requesting when to expect the release and how much time I have to get it re-submitted, he said next week. No exact date was given and I did try to ask him to drop a few hints as to what we can expect but didn't budge. Just the 'you have to wait until next week to find out'

First post here and I know it may not help in my credibility but I do have the email thread.
    yolare likes this.
    06-02-11 03:50 PM
    When do u receive this email sir drjg

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-11 04:04 PM
    Received it this morning and just got his reply less than an hour ago.
    06-02-11 04:07 PM
    When do u receive this email sir drjg

Could it be last week? Please. Rats! So now we shift to "coming soon" means next week, which could mean Sunday in the wee small hours or late Saturday following. . . . I do like the over all tenor of the email though, because it suggests a sustantive update is on the way.
    06-02-11 04:10 PM
    I suspect the update to be a rather large one as well - at least functionality wise. To have him email me (and others) directly to tell us that we need to take action on our app suggests that this could be the case.
    06-02-11 04:16 PM
    Fingers crossed. I am getting bored now and require new features.
    06-02-11 05:07 PM
    I suspect the update to be a rather large one as well - at least functionality wise. To have him email me (and others) directly to tell us that we need to take action on our app suggests that this could be the case.
    Al it really means is that this update will break your app. You can't infer anything else from it. RIM doesn't want people complaining about an update breaking an app that they use. That will be perceived as RIM introducing bugs when it is not really their fault.

I hope that there is a big update coming and that it adds email, fixes the bridge browser issues, and does a ton more things as well. Unfortunately, no one knows when this is all going to happen.
    06-02-11 06:19 PM
    update? if RIM even just communicated with us i would be happy - lol ..... the silence is killing me.

06-02-11 08:03 PM
    Friday is the day folks. Have patience and fsith on the great rim.
    06-02-11 08:36 PM
    For what it's worth, I got that email AGES ago.
    06-02-11 09:09 PM
    Friday is the day folks. Have patience and fsith on the great rim.
    Friday? I doubt they would ever release it on a friday. If something went wrong before the weekend it would take until monday to rectify it. Releasing it on a monday or tuesday ensures they can fix any problems throughout the week.
    06-02-11 09:28 PM
    Heh RIM knows the screwed up so they are waiting until the October when the world ends, and the purging will begin. Then people would have more important things to worry about. Trust me I know this, I work for RIM and thats the word around the office.
    06-02-11 11:23 PM
    i work for RIM too.... and i haven't heard this. I actually heard that Mike and Jim have been to busy golfing..... just water cooler talk so who knows....

06-03-11 01:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD