Hey all,

I follow @BlackBerryDev on twitter, and they just tweeted this:

"Update: The 300MB limit for bar files today is being fixed with a new OTA drop of software soon increasing the overall limit to 2GB ^SA"

As far as I know, BAR files are the executable files used on the playbook. I wonder if this update is only going to remove the file limit restriction or if we'll be getting something else.
    Speczorz and Intosh like this.
    05-11-11 02:51 PM
    interesting, i can't imagine they would drop an update to fix just one thing, crossing my fingers it's more and soon! tweet him back and try to get a time frame lol
    05-11-11 03:00 PM
    sweet maybe soon
    interesting, i can't imagine they would drop an update to fix just one thing, crossing my fingers it's more and soon! tweet him back and try to get a time frame lol
    haha, I did right after he tweeted it :P
    2GB. Maybe we will see some Navigation Apps with preloaded Maps soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 03:13 PM
    did some searching, search playbook update on twitter you'll get the articles,

see attached

Speczorz likes this.
    05-11-11 03:14 PM
    Holy crap! does that mean future PlayBook updates will be up to a 2GB download. That is screaming content, but..wow imagine updating 2GB every 2 weeks to one month.

The only reason I relate this to updates is because Software updates have been conveniently almost 300MB every time.
    Edit: Looks like it's App size only...Thanks everyone.

Note: I thought NFS was already over 300.

I wish the next update number was 1999, so we could party like it's...1999 :P

1690-->1710-->1868-->1997.

They have been working hard over at RIM!
    Last edited by BaconMunch; 05-11-11 at 04:45 PM.
    05-11-11 03:14 PM
    Holy crap! does that mean future PlayBook updates will be up to a 2GB download. That is screaming content, but..wow imagine updating 2GB every 2 weeks to one month.
    The only reason I relate this to updates is because Software updates have been conveniently almost 300MB every time.

Note: I thought NFS was already over 300.
    NFS is indeed over 300 MB. Weird

05-11-11 03:16 PM
    Sounds like its an App limit.

I thought NFS was like 253MB. I'm sure my memory us off here...

05-11-11 03:17 PM
    Ok, i'm guessing the update comes within the the next 12 hours. Place your bets.
    05-11-11 03:17 PM
    It must be a huge update then! I bet they will now include more native apps like FB and what not...

Can't wait to see what it is.
    05-11-11 03:24 PM
    Guys. BBDev says in his tweets this is App size limits. This is not OTA update sizes.

05-11-11 03:28 PM
    Holy crap! does that mean future PlayBook updates will be up to a 2GB download.
    No. The tweet was referring to app size limits, not OS update size limits.
    05-11-11 03:49 PM
    If this is true, great news. Until then, will keep on Playbook'n till an update rolls out.
    05-11-11 03:51 PM
    If this is true, great news. Until then, will keep on Playbook'n till an update rolls out.
    i havent seen any apps even near this limit. this is nothing to do with the OS update size

nfs is 345mb but thats made in ndk so might be more a thing of the dev tools used to compile the .bar files
    05-11-11 04:03 PM

Ain't gonna happen.

The 16 GB PlayBook would be useless by summer.
    05-11-11 04:10 PM

Ain't gonna happen.

The 16 GB PlayBook would be useless by summer.
    I'm pretty sure that the way the updates on the playbook work is they write over system files rather than add to them. I came to this conclusion after noticing all of the updates are around the same size.

If that's the case, they could push a billion 300mb updates and the 16gb one will be just fine
    05-11-11 04:16 PM
    A bar file is a container like a zip file. it contains several things. It contains the application, installation information, and more than likely data for the application. You could probably think of it being similar to a Windows MSI file. I am betting a developer somewhere hit the limit, and this required a change in the kernel code that unwraps the bar file, to enable it to handle much larger bar files.
    05-11-11 04:17 PM
    If that's the case, they could push a billion 300mb updates and the 16gb one will be just fine
    So many updates, so little time. Need more coffee.
    05-11-11 04:27 PM
    A bar file is a container like a zip file. it contains several things. It contains the application, installation information, and more than likely data for the application. You could probably think of it being similar to a Windows MSI file. I am betting a developer somewhere hit the limit, and this required a change in the kernel code that unwraps the bar file, to enable it to handle much larger bar files.
    i dont think theres a change to the OS needed, i seemed to cope just fine downloading the 343Mb NFS update. trust me 300Mb is a HUGE ammount of data for a air/flash/webworks app, like stupidly huge.

id be looking far more at the fact they announced this a day before the NDK webcast starts, which is where the larger filesize apps will come from is way more significant. biggest app iv seen in appworld (excluding NFS and Tetris) is 35Mb.
    05-11-11 04:35 PM
    I love that I'm at the top of that pic :-)

nobody replied to me either...so I have nothing new to add.

has anyone tried the OS reload work-around? via DM?
    05-11-11 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD