05-18-11 07:24 AM
    Go RIM!

We got this.
    05-18-11 07:37 AM
    Only a 3rd party estimate, but if accurate a solid performance for the first 30 days by RIM! The low # of reported returns is an important indicator, given the relative immaturity of the initial release.

If these results continue, RIM should hit their full year targets.
    05-18-11 07:39 AM
    Wow, confirmation they are going to hit their lowered predictions is good news? That's some spin.
    05-18-11 08:01 AM
    RIM upgraded: ‘Things can’t get worse’ | Investing | Financial Post

looking for a rebound. but seems to be true, its management need to buckle up and speed ahead.
    05-18-11 08:07 AM
    This should be posted on the frontpage of crackberry.com
    05-18-11 08:15 AM
    250k in 1 month but only estimating 500k in a quarter?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 08:17 AM
    Wow, confirmation they are going to hit their lowered predictions is good news? That's some spin.
    Yes, it is good news. Investors don't like it when companies miss their estimates either way.
    05-18-11 08:20 AM
    I think the sales are steady because of all the ads and word of mouth... usually that's how it works. But man, those ads cost a fortune. Especially have one that blew out the page on CNN.com and MSNBC.com for a whole day.

I wonder if RIM is losing $$ with ads right now and hope stronger sales later...
    05-18-11 08:21 AM

I'm sure they are being conservative with that estimate, but you can't assume that just because they sold 250K PBs in one month that means the sales will continue at that pace.
    05-18-11 08:30 AM
    i chuckle everytime i sense people justifying their purchases with number of Sales.. unless you own some stocks with that company.
    Let me put it this way, Hey guys, this McDonalds double cheeseburger that i bought MUST be the BEST burger, guess what billions have been Sold.

at the end of the day, my iPad regardless if it sold millions, STILL don't have Flash, STILL has a crappy camera and STILL feels like an Oversize iPod Touch.
    good thing i also have the PB.
    Spawn12 and offthahorseceo like this.
    05-18-11 08:35 AM
    Only a 3rd party estimate, but if accurate a solid performance for the first 30 days by RIM! The low # of reported returns is an important indicator, given the relative immaturity of the initial release.

If these results continue, RIM should hit their full year targets.

I returned my 16gb PlayBook to Best Buy and bought a 32gb PB from Staples. Take 1 return off the total number because it wasnt really a return.
    05-18-11 08:59 AM

probably based on the financial quarter bearing in mind the playbook didnt launch at the beginning of the quarter. thats the way i see it at least.
    05-18-11 09:02 AM
    That's pretty good...I'm surprised especially with all the negative press the pb was receiving.

05-18-11 09:08 AM
    Huh?

RIM originally forecast 3 - 4mm units in the first 12 months, an estimate that they haven't changed yet to my knowledge, and which they appear to be on track to hit, given a simple straight-line extrapolation and not even counting the launch of the PB in new large markets like the UK.

If you are referring to RIM's forecast for their 2011/2012 year-end EPS, they haven't lowered that guidance either, even though their previous quarter results where off.

What lowered predictions are you referring to?
    05-18-11 09:10 AM
    Huh?

RIM originally forecast 3 - 4mm units in the first 12 months, an estimate that they haven't changed yet to my knowledge, and which they appear to be on track to hit, given a simple straight-line extrapolation and not even counting the launch of the PB in new large markets like the UK.

If you are referring to RIM's forecast for their 2011/2012 year-end EPS, they haven't lowered that guidance either, even though their previous quarter results where off.

What lowered predictions are you referring to?
    RIM never actually gave a solid (or even speculative) quarter by quarter expectation for the playbook.
    05-18-11 09:12 AM
    RIM never actually gave a solid (or even speculative) quarter by quarter expectation for the playbook.
    I remember reading it somewhere... but perhaps it was an industry analyst prediction and not directly from RIM. Will go search for the source.

Regardless, they appear on track to hit at least the 3mm unit mark, which would be quite impressive.
    05-18-11 09:17 AM
    Very GOOD to hear....the more sales, the more demand, the better the apps the faster the updates (hopefully), just better all around
    Last edited by spencerdl; 05-18-11 at 10:18 AM.
    05-18-11 09:39 AM
    im glad its doing well for a brand new device, i guess word of mouth beats biased reviews.
    05-18-11 03:18 PM
    Hopefully this news and the report about BB AppWorld being the most lucrative will get developers attention...
    05-18-11 03:25 PM
    Lowered extimates are about the financial quarter as a whole, NOT the Playbook sales. No spin.
    05-18-11 04:03 PM
    I see sales accelerating as all of the features get added and there is more app support. This is a new product that people are being cautious about, when it does what it's supposed to do the people will be more open to buy it.
    05-18-11 04:10 PM
    Also from the Globe and Mail Report on Business:

LinkedIn at lofty valuation in IPO, a test for social media - The Globe and Mail

....scroll past the linkedin story to see the report on PB sales
    Last edited by Slalom; 05-19-11 at 07:33 AM.
    05-18-11 04:22 PM
    RIMM closed up $1.65 per share today largely on one analyst upgrade which was based on the better than expected sales. Remember that most of the rest of the world has not even seen the PB yet. It WILL do well, just wait and see!
    05-18-11 04:27 PM
    500k in Q1. RIM's fiscal Q1 ends May 26 (or 27).
    05-18-11 06:27 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD