Before I get into my issues I want to apologize if there is already an existing thread with similar content as I made somewhat of an effort to search and couldn't find any.

1. The biggest issue I have with my PlayBook is that I can't sync the contacts and calendar with my handset. Does anyone know if RIM has this in the works for a future Bridge/OS release.... or for a Desktop Manager update? I use bridge on occassion but use my PlayBook most often over wifi as a standalone device, so I'd like to have a way to add contacts without having to do it manually or go through some elaborate workaround with gmail or some other app.

2. Does anyone know why I can't set up my att.blackberry.net email account and calendar on my PlayBook? It would be nice to be able to get these emails on my PB as well as I have to still constantly check my BB handset for blackberry.net emails that come through.

3. Has anyone heard if RIM is working on creating independent calendars? I would love to just be able to create a calendar that isnt' tied to one of my email addresses (i.e a birthday calendar).

4. Is RIM working on improving the file management system .. or does anyone know of a great app that will help with this? I use Air Browser and File Manager on occasionally browse for files, etc.. but it isn't great.

Overall, I love my PlayBook and use it daily. If RIM could fix at least #1 and #2.. and possibly #3 and #4 as well, my device would be perfect!!
    06-08-12 12:18 AM
    As to question 4, there are a number of file managers available for the PB that are better than the stock file browser,and each has its strenghts and weaknesses. Air Browser (which you have) is good for being able to quickly access all of you media files and documents. Its problem is that there is not too much it'll let you do once you access them (open, rename or delete).

Files and Folders, a paid native app in app world, allows you to do quite a bit more than Air. It can cut, copy and paste to move files, has a built in slideshow, can be used to upload and download files from several Cloud services, and is pretty intuitive and easy to use.

Ghost Commander, a free android app in app world, is particulary good for organizing your files. It is a dual pane browser that allows you to mutiselect files. Thus moving files is as simple as navigating to the folder with the files you want to move in one pane, then navigating to the folder you want to move them to in the other pane, multi selecting the files to be moved, and then tapping "move", and you're done. Ghost has the added benefit of allowing you to browse through shared folders on your home networked computer wirelessly and moving files from and to your computer. Ghost will also give you the option to open files with other than the native default apps, if any such apps are loaded on your PB. The downside is that it less intuitive than files and folders, and also should NOT be used to create Sub-folders on your PB- if you do so your PB will likely not see any files you might move into these folders (this is probably also true for any of the android file browsers). To create sub-folders, stick to Air Browser or Files and Folders.

Es File Explorer, an android app that I think needs to be sideloaded, like Ghost, will allow you to browse files on your networked computer, with the added benefit of letting you stream supported audio and video files stored on your computer to your PB.

Astro, another sideloaded android app, has a search function, that, in my experience, seems better and more thorough the the search functions contained in Files and Folders and ES.

These are the file browsers that I regularly use, depending upon what I'm looking to do, and as I said each has its strengths. There are other browsers out there, and probably someone else will will have their own preferences.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    06-08-12 04:04 AM
    RE Question 1 - there is no way of doing this yet unless you use a 3rd party like Google. Another way of doing it is using bridge to connect your BB Smartphone and Playbook.

RE Question 2 - I don't know att.blackberry.net but if its a BIS account then its tied to your BB Smartphone, again try using bridge.

RE Question 3 - Playbook OS 2.1 doesn't have this feature in the Beta.

RE Question 4 - I go with the answer above, Files and Folders is the best manager in my opinion.
    06-08-12 08:23 AM
    Before I get into my issues I want to apologize if there is already an existing thread with similar content as I made somewhat of an effort to search and couldn't find any.

1. The biggest issue I have with my PlayBook is that I can't sync the contacts and calendar with my handset. Does anyone know if RIM has this in the works for a future Bridge/OS release.... or for a Desktop Manager update? I use bridge on occassion but use my PlayBook most often over wifi as a standalone device, so I'd like to have a way to add contacts without having to do it manually or go through some elaborate workaround with gmail or some other app.

2. Does anyone know why I can't set up my att.blackberry.net email account and calendar on my PlayBook? It would be nice to be able to get these emails on my PB as well as I have to still constantly check my BB handset for blackberry.net emails that come through.

3. Has anyone heard if RIM is working on creating independent calendars? I would love to just be able to create a calendar that isnt' tied to one of my email addresses (i.e a birthday calendar).

4. Is RIM working on improving the file management system .. or does anyone know of a great app that will help with this? I use Air Browser and File Manager on occasionally browse for files, etc.. but it isn't great.

Overall, I love my PlayBook and use it daily. If RIM could fix at least #1 and #2.. and possibly #3 and #4 as well, my device would be perfect!!
    RE Question 1 - create a gmail account and install it on both your PB & BB - install googlesync on your BB, works like a dream and only takes a couple of minutes for the whole process

RE Question 2 - no idea

RE Question 3 - not sure what you mean - can't you just use the PlayBook (Local) calendar?

RE Question 4 - I use Files and Folders (and recommend it clients who have the PB)
    06-08-12 08:33 AM

1. You can bridge and use wifi simultaneously. PB will handle the best. If you want sync mails, contacts and agenda the same account you have on your Phone, then use the bridge Apps (within the Blackberry Bridge folder on the PB). It's the essence of bridge.

2. Not tested, but I can't find a reason why it wouldn't work. Just add another account in the PB accounts settings with your base parameters (email/password).

3. The Playbook handles "online" calendars (tighten to your "mail" account) and a "local" calendar (PB only). You can select them when you swipe down within the native calendar app. You could also choose to create a dedicated account for that (say, gmail). Just add it and it will be available.

4. We all wait for BB10 (or maybe OS2.1 final release) to solve this ...
    06-08-12 10:50 AM
    Re: #1, I completely agree that there should be an easy way to sync email, calendar & contacts between the PB native messaging app and my BB phone. Yes yes I know that you get perfect synchronization between the 2 using the bridge feature. That is really good. Except it doesn't allow me to use all the new cool features included with the OS2 messaging app.

Seems to me it would just take some additional programming to get these sync'd. In fact they did the opposite and kept them separate. I've heard this defended as "your laptop isn't sync'd with your phone so why should your PB tablet be sync'd with your phone?" My answer is cuz they're both BB devices and it would be so sweet if they did. And a lot of us expected OS2 would include a feature like this. There could simply be a checkbox to "sync email/contacts/calendar with PB pin # 123456".
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    06-08-12 12:32 PM
    RE Question 1 - there is no way of doing this yet unless you use a 3rd party like Google. Another way of doing it is using bridge to connect your BB Smartphone and Playbook.

RE Question 2 - I don't know att.blackberry.net but if its a BIS account then its tied to your BB Smartphone, again try using bridge.

RE Question 3 - Playbook OS 2.1 doesn't have this feature in the Beta.

RE Question 4 - I go with the answer above, Files and Folders is the best manager in my opinion.
    RE Re #1 - I realize there are workarounds, but I am curious if RIM is work on a solution to this that is easier and more tailored to RIM devices.

RE RE #2 - att.blackberry.net is a BIS account. It would be nice to have this email account llinked to my PlayBook as well and then I could use the device independently (ie. Non birdged) if I choose to do so. The way it is right now, I can monitor my other email addresses on my PlayBook but have to either bridge or check my Berry once in awhile to monitor my att.blackberry.net account.
    06-08-12 01:15 PM
    RE Question 1 - create a gmail account and install it on both your PB & BB - install googlesync on your BB, works like a dream and only takes a couple of minutes for the whole process

RE Question 2 - no idea

RE Question 3 - not sure what you mean - can't you just use the PlayBook (Local) calendar?

RE Question 4 - I use Files and Folders (and recommend it clients who have the PB)

RE RE #1 - Do all of the fields come over exactly or are there only certain fields? Or worse yet, do you have to "fix" some files because they aren't mapped?

RE RE #3 - I ca probably use the local PlayBook calendar but I prefer having my calendar layered (ie. Birthdays, work stuff, personal stuff, etc). That way, I can look at everything at once...but then filter things out like birthdays to get to the meat and potatos of what I have going on that day.
    06-08-12 01:25 PM
    I thought the @blackberry account will only work on bb, phone of course unless bridged.
    06-08-12 01:39 PM
    I thought the @blackberry account will only work on bb, phone of course unless bridged.
    It does... that is the problem I would like RIM to fix. I'm curious why my @blackberry account CAN'T be set up on my PlayBook and if it is in the works to be "fixed"?
    06-08-12 03:11 PM
    RE RE #1 - Do all of the fields come over exactly or are there only certain fields? Or worse yet, do you have to "fix" some files because they aren't mapped?

RE RE #3 - I ca probably use the local PlayBook calendar but I prefer having my calendar layered (ie. Birthdays, work stuff, personal stuff, etc). That way, I can look at everything at once...but then filter things out like birthdays to get to the meat and potatos of what I have going on that day.
    Hi hockey

As far as I am aware all of the fields come across ok using googlesync, certainly the std ones (emails, phones, addresses, PINs, notes) have come across fine

One of my clients (a husband & wife physiotherapy business) have bought PlayBooks as a cheap and easy calendar booking solution, they have three gmail addresses (and therefore three gmail calendar accounts) - his, hers, & family. Birthdays and family stuff go into the family calendar, physio appts go into either his or hers - by choosing which calendars are visible, they can see whatever they want (eg any combination of his work calendar, her work calendar, and family stuff)

Does this answer your question?

Alex
    06-08-12 06:49 PM
    It does... that is the problem I would like RIM to fix. I'm curious why my @blackberry account CAN'T be set up on my PlayBook and if it is in the works to be "fixed"?
    I imagine since you can't use it with a desktop etc. It's tied to having the radio. I never use that addy as if you change carriers or brand it's gone and unusable.
    06-08-12 09:02 PM
    Hi hockey

As far as I am aware all of the fields come across ok using googlesync, certainly the std ones (emails, phones, addresses, PINs, notes) have come across fine

One of my clients (a husband & wife physiotherapy business) have bought PlayBooks as a cheap and easy calendar booking solution, they have three gmail addresses (and therefore three gmail calendar accounts) - his, hers, & family. Birthdays and family stuff go into the family calendar, physio appts go into either his or hers - by choosing which calendars are visible, they can see whatever they want (eg any combination of his work calendar, her work calendar, and family stuff)

Does this answer your question?

Alex

I tried to use googlesync but it screwed up all my contacts that had an ampersand (�&�) in the name field. Like "Dan & Jan Smith" where I have Smith in the last name field and "Dan & Jan" in the first name field. I set up most of the couples friends like this but googlesync didn't like the ampersand. After I ran googlesync for the first time, all those contacts were duplicated twice, so for each contact with the ampersand, I now had 3 contacts. I decided to delete, uninstall, and just use the bridge for contacts. I could use the outlook csv solution mentioned by someone else but as far as I know, it is a static one-time sync, not continuously updated.

Too bad RIM doesn't allow BIS users to use the NOC (aka cloud) to keep contacts, calendar & email sync'd between the BB phone & the PB.
    06-11-12 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD