- CrackBerry Genius
- 1,714 Posts
Unknown Network Error - is this only related to the browser?
Does anyone know if the Unknown Network Error is an error message that is soley tied to the Playbooks browser and not to any other application that may/does access the Internet?
I ask as frequently, when using the browser to look at various sites, I will receive this error message. Normally i just hit the try again button or refresh icon repeatedly and the page that I wanted to view loads. What I hadn't realized before now is that even though the browser couldn't go to a website when this error was displayed, other applications such as Norbex (radio streaming) and twitter were accessing and using the Internet connection just fine.
So is the error tied specifically to the browser as opposed to the Playbooks whole network connection?The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
- CrackBerry Newbie
03-07-2013, 07:20 AM #3
- 8 Posts
I've been trying to resolve this for a while, it has rendered my playbook almost unusable, it loses information when the connections drops and it's at the point where it happens too frequently for me to send an email using my work account. I sent Blackberry detailed logs and a description of the problem and all they did was create a knowledge base article acknowledging the problem. I've given up on the stock browser mostly, Dolphin HD seems to work better but lacks some functionality and it is slower.
BB said they would resolve it with the next update which has come and gone with no fix. I've narrowed it down to the browser based on these symptoms;
- any third party browser works during the apparent disconnection (although sometimes appworld disconnects)
- I've side loaded the AIRBrowser which is essentially the stock browser but loads as a different instance, it also experiences the problems but not at the same time.
- the router logs and PB logs do not seem to show any problems (although I'm not entirely sure what to look for)
I even purchased a new router and changed many of the settings according to fixes other people have used, no luck. I've tried different DNS servers and disabling the NAT upnp on the router, no luck.
The strange thing is that it works fine on some networks (not all) and when it works, it works good. Unfortunately this problem isn't affecting everyone so those that are affected are only left with the options of third party browsers or returning the defective tablet. At this point, I'm leaning towards chasing a refund since I mostly purchased it to browse the web. I've called support several times, the last time they hung up when I told them I would return the unit, I couldn't believe it.
- 03-07-2013, 08:07 AM #4
No issues here, I did have that issue only if java script and flash were turned off.
I also changed from blackberry net to Google.ca or .com as the Internet settings.
No issues since about month or so now.
Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
On Rogers Service
"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
- By RFrancoeur in forum BlackBerry PlayBookReplies: 15Last Post: 05-12-2013, 09:48 AM
- By financeguy in forum BlackBerry Curve 85xxReplies: 7Last Post: 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM
- By MoonHowler2009 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 28Last Post: 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
- By spoiler2006 in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 9Last Post: 03-21-2009, 08:55 PM
- By TGO in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900Replies: 6Last Post: 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM