Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeepBB
  • 1 Post By djenkins6
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Unauthorized photos in my media library!!

Hi guys, my playbook is only a week old so I'm horribly new to the inner workings of the media library, and for all I know this could be normal but...

I opened the fb app and decided to upload a screeshot I took. It opened the media library and there were a whole bunch of images I did not screeshot or save to my playbook! Random fb profile pictures, my lock screen, bits of overdrive app images, etc. It's weirding me out. Anyone know what the deal is, where they came from and how to remove them when they're not in my native pictures app???
    CrackBerry Newbie

Pretty sure you can find and delete them by going under playbook then pictures using file manager.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,847 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melimo View Post
    Hi guys, my playbook is only a week old so I'm horribly new to the inner workings of the media library, and for all I know this could be normal but...

I opened the fb app and decided to upload a screeshot I took. It opened the media library and there were a whole bunch of images I did not screeshot or save to my playbook! Random fb profile pictures, my lock screen, bits of overdrive app images, etc. It's weirding me out. Anyone know what the deal is, where they came from and how to remove them when they're not in my native pictures app???
    Heh-Heh... I think fat fingers might be your problem my friend. Don't worry, it happens to me too.

From what you describe, I reckon you've hit the volume +/- keys together whilst fumbling for the power switch. On the PB, that'll do a screen capture and save it to your pictures.

They can be deleted, just as with any other picture. Start the pictures app, go to the folder you want, swipe down from the top bezel to bring the menu up. Hit select, touch the picture you want gone to select it... hit delete.
    BerryClever likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,408 Global Posts
    PIN
    501BBBBB

PlayBook caches lots of images from browser, applications, etc.. Try clearing your cache..

Ive not faced this problem.. Only problem i have is all images are shown.. Have to scroll..

If you wanna quick search for your screenshot then type IMG and scroll to the bottom..
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by JeepBB View Post
    Heh-Heh... I think fat fingers might be your problem my friend. Don't worry, it happens to me too.

From what you describe, I reckon you've hit the volume +/- keys together whilst fumbling for the power switch. On the PB, that'll do a screen capture and save it to your pictures.

They can be deleted, just as with any other picture. Start the pictures app, go to the folder you want, swipe down from the top bezel to bring the menu up. Hit select, touch the picture you want gone to select it... hit delete.
    Thanks for the help in finding them so I can delete them guys!

Lol I assure you my fingers are very slight. These pictures are horribly pixelated, others are only part of a picture, and some are of people I have never seen on this playbook. I'm also very obsessive compulsive about locking my playbook when not in use. There are over 100 images, and this playbook's top buttons have very rarely been used. They can't possibly be all accidental screenshots... Also they are nowhere to be found in the pictures app. But they DID show up in the file manager app. If they were accidental screenshots, they would have shown up with the other screenshots I deliberately took, and ended up in the pictures app. I think varunsain might have the answer tho. It's probably a background caching of images from the web.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I looked at them a bit better and they seem to be cached from my sideloaded WWF app. Anyone else see this happening?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,408 Global Posts
    PIN
    501BBBBB

My second security wipe cause of android apps.. My pb feels new again..
    CrackBerry Addict

I was using bbm bridge today and went over to send my brother a photo. Went to send and I chose Playbook for the picture location.

By my count, there was well over 450 random photos just loose there!!! If I go directly to my pictures folder, only the pictures I've taken/downloaded showed up. Not sure what's going on here and why they're saving on my device.

So then I tried sending a pic to myself and it showed me an address, and sure enough it turned out to be StumbleUpon saving those photos! Problem is I cannot delete them either

Here's an example: cdn.stumble-upon.com__mainpics_19709374.jpg

Does not load but this is the path
    CrackBerry Abuser

By attaching my PB to laptop and then looking at PlayBook drive:Misc, I found over 23mg of cached images primarily from the Android Wall Street Journal application. They apparently aren't wiped when you clear the cache. I erased them by deleting via my connected laptop.
    CrackBerry Abuser

As a further update, the Android WSJ app created a HUGE cache, approaching 1 gig from images and text. The app stores 7 days of WSJ content, but must not be deleting older material.

Well, on my Windows' Vista system, it never seems to clean up its temporary files. I always have to go in and my own housekeeping. You'd think by 2012, programs and OS's would be able to do that themselves.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default finally got rid of it too

we have the same problem, all sort of highly pixelated photos whenever I use the media library for facebook to download pics, but i managed to delete them all (Thank God!) by using the playbook file manager app....clicked the "pictures" and voila...trash can icons for those "unauthorized pictures"..im so relieved to get rid of those photos....finally...
    CrackBerry Newbie

I noticed the exact same problem when uploading pics through the FB app. It looked to me like they were thumbnails cached somewhere, but I couldn't find them. I wiped the browser data several times and looked through the folders and couldn't find them. I found it funny that the PB is rated so high for security but leaves traces of FB profiles and other pics that are not easy to find or wipe.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,070 Global Posts
    PIN
    797F4953 Tab 3

One of the things I've noticed is some apps like e-readers save certain shots from the books and other Android apps have done the same for me. Weird random pictures from the books I've downloaded. Could this be part of it?
    Phone too slow? Then you need Flow.

The World's Most Fabulous Crack-Droid!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

This is why a lot of the android apps aren't allowed in app world... badly behaved download management etc. You sideload at your own risk - I do sideload a lot of apps just be prepared for the glitches and occasional wipes to get things back.
    Chaddface likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

The only time I had this problem was with a sideloaded android app.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,495 Global Posts
    PIN
    PINCH ME!!! My Z30 and Playbook are so great I must be dreaming!!!!

Definitely from sideloaded apps. My WWF does it too.
    CrackBerry Addict

Some non-sideloaded Android apps also do that also. Kayak downloaded through App World had a TON of crap images that loaded up on the native file manager. It was a few months ago but I am pretty sure uninstalling it didn't get rid of the images either, I connected the PB to the computer to find and delete the whole folder.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

If you want to get rid of the unwanted saved images etc, use AIR Browser or Ghost Commander to find the files and delete them.
    If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber. - Albert Einstein
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melimo View Post
    I looked at them a bit better and they seem to be cached from my sideloaded WWF app. Anyone else see this happening?
    WWF? World Wildlife Fund?

I did not know at first, but now - Words With Friends????