I've found a few threads here and elsewhere on this error that you get during the initial setup, where you select the country to view the Blackberry ID Agreement, and all you get is this error:

"Unable to display the BlackBerry ID Agreement."

some solutions point to hotspot settings and that doesn't apply in my case.. so i thought i'd sniff the network traffic to see what the playbook is trying to do, and here's what i found out (at least in my case)

The Playbook attempts to download the license agreement from http://csbeta.websl.eval.blackberry.com/
    and it seems this URL is no longer valid, as it returns
    "Sorry! Nothing could be found here."

i figured the OS on my playbook is an early release so i'll be forcing an update.

to force an update, i fired up the latest desktop manager, completely turned off the playbook by pressing/holding the power button then clicking turn off, then i plugged it in..
    desktop manager then shows an error message and gives you the option to update.. click that and leave it alone for an hour++ (depending on your internet connection)

i started the updated playbook, went through the setup wizard and this time when i selected the country, i got the license agreement and was able to continue.

hope this helps!
    Last edited by DXBLouie; 05-07-11 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added more details
    05-07-11 11:48 AM
    i got that problem at my first PB, i had to force "debrick" update via desktop manager to get it working, otherwise you may want to change try using wifi internet elsewhere
    05-07-11 11:56 AM
    Well i'm in the process of forcing a de-brick as we speak.
    any idea how long this takes? been going on for a good 20 minutes, and the progress bar barely hit 15%
    05-07-11 12:01 PM
    i had to wait about 6 hours although my internet is 2mbps, the download speed at the DM only about 60KB/s, very slow indeed
    05-07-11 12:38 PM
    it's been a little over an hour now.. Download is completed.. Install is at about 75%
    will report back shortly
    05-07-11 12:46 PM
    If you can't display your blackberry agreement, its because your wifi is probably a hotspot and has some stuff that you need to click accept before they give you internet access.

Connected to the wifi doesn't mean you have internet access. Which was my case yesterday.

Try your own wifi at home. Or, be like me and just go find an apple store

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/of...ml#post6307871
    05-07-11 12:51 PM
    Yup! i can confirm this worked just fine.. updating the first post in case someone encounters the same problem
    05-07-11 01:03 PM
    If you can't display your blackberry agreement, its because your wifi is probably a hotspot and has some stuff that you need to click accept before they give you internet access.

Connected to the wifi doesn't mean you have internet access. Which was my case yesterday.

Try your own wifi at home. Or, be like me and just go find an apple store

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/of...ml#post6307871
    did you read the first post?
    my issue wasn't the hotspot thing.. my playbook is connected to my home network, and clicking the hotspot button says my playbook is already connected.

the issue here is the OS on the playbook was an early release that had to be force-updated.. and now everything works fine
    05-07-11 01:04 PM
    I connected to 4 different hotspots and could not display aggreement with any of them. I then forced an update, which of course updated my playbook, but still did not enable me to display the BB agreement. Without being able to accept the agreement I do not believe one will be able to update the playbook without forcing it each time.

Checking for updates gives this error "There was an error conecting to the update server. ...
    06-10-11 01:22 PM
    You might want to try calling them:

Rim Support 1-877-644-8405
    06-10-11 03:48 PM
    try changing the timezone
    02-09-12 10:17 AM
    I've found a few threads here and elsewhere on this error that you get during the initial setup, where you select the country to view the Blackberry ID Agreement, and all you get is this error:

some solutions point to hotspot settings and that doesn't apply in my case.. so i thought i'd sniff the network traffic to see what the playbook is trying to do, and here's what i found out (at least in my case)

The Playbook attempts to download the license agreement from http://csbeta.websl.eval.blackberry.com/

i figured the OS on my playbook is an early release so i'll be forcing an update.

to force an update, i fired up the latest desktop manager, completely turned off the playbook by pressing/holding the power button then clicking turn off, then i plugged it in..
    desktop manager then shows an error message and gives you the option to update.. click that and leave it alone for an hour++ (depending on your internet connection)

i started the updated playbook, went through the setup wizard and this time when i selected the country, i got the license agreement and was able to continue.

hope this helps!
    If the above doesn't work for you try this one:

I went full brute force on this solution so some steps may be overkill, but I think there are just to many variables involved when considering the many starting points different users have when implementing fixes to our playbooks. (firmware rev 1 vs 2 and others I don't know about.)

Steps:
    1. In your current desktop software, forget your existing device. (Found in the "Device" menu.)
    2. Re-install/repair desktop software. "Download here" Get a coffee and kick your feet up as this takes a few minutes(important ). version is 6.1 as of today. This step may not be necessary but given all my other failed attempts I will take no chances.
    3. Run the desktop manager with no playbook attached.
    4. In the Device menu the only available options are "Sync type", "Switch Devices.." and "Exit" power down the playbook if it's on. In the Desktop software, select "Switch Devices", and do as the screen indicates and connect your playbook to you pc via usb the playbook should startup. Note: The PC may flag that it is installing driver software at this point.
    5. Assuming you have a good Wifi connection, when it starts up now the countries selection for legal agreements work!
    6. If it still doesn't work swipe back to the Wifi access point connection and tap on "hotspot settings" and watch the screen until you get a notification of having a good connection and try again. I remember doing this but am not sure if it helps.
    7. If you have a the latest version of firmware or any version of beta OS already installed, you shouldn't be forced to update your firmware.

Follow my G+ madness at http://www.joelrichard.info

Cheers,

Joel
    02-09-12 11:01 AM
    I'm having this issue and i'm desperate for help. I've tried the above methods. This all started when I started up my device last week and saw the latest os 2.1 update. On the pb itself I clicked to install the update like i've always done. It starts and a less than 30 seconds later I get this message: "Unable to display the BlackBerry ID Agreement."-pbissue.jpg

So yes I got that message on the PB itself and couldn't shake it don't matter how many times I hit retry on the pb. So I decided to try a different approach. I backed up my pb through DM. Wiped my PB for through the security settings. Then I tried to connect it to DM and doing the software update through there. Well it didn't work. Got the same error. At this point I followed the steps you guys have laid out above and I'm still getting that same error I attached the screen shot off. Note: I'm using my phone as mobile hotspot for my laptop and pb right now. I tried my wife's phone too and it didn't make a difference. Still stuck on the blackberry ID screen. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
    02-18-13 04:54 PM
    Have you tried a different wifi location? When you tried using DM was that on a computer with a router connection or still using a wifi hotspot (not that is bad but it might be the issue?)
    02-18-13 05:24 PM
    Have you tried a different wifi location? When you tried using DM was that on a computer with a router connection or still using a wifi hotspot (not that is bad but it might be the issue?)
    I've tried 2 different wifi hotspot connections. My phone and my wife's phone. Both of us are with telus. I'm only around hotspots at the moment. There's someone else with a device from another carrier. Should I try that? meaning would it make a difference who the service provider was? It was still using wifi hotspot from my phone. I'm away from a pc with a router connection at the moment. That would be very weird if that's the problem since in the initial setup it prompts you to connect to a WIFI network. It made the issue worse by wiping the pb. Now I can't use it completely since I can't get pass the id agreement screen. Atleast I could of used it when i was getting the update error.
    02-18-13 05:49 PM
    **UPDATE** : I took my sister-in-laws Wind mobile blackberry. Enabled her mobile hotspot. Connected the PB through the wifi setup. Went over to the ID screen again and this time it populated the country list . Right now it's currently downloading the os update for os 2.1.0.1526. So far it seems to be something with telus?
    02-18-13 06:27 PM
    Thanks for getting back. Hope that the Update goes smoothly and you are back in business.
    02-18-13 07:07 PM
    I'm back in business now. Thanks for your help F2. I wonder what's the issue with telus that I can't do the updates using their network...but I can browse, use the laptop and everything else fine. I will call their tech support to find out. I find on the laptop the connection drops off and then comes back briefly. I wonder if they throttle or cut off the connections after a certain time. I don't know but it has me puzzled.
    02-18-13 10:15 PM
    Plz my blackberry play book unable display Id agreement problem
    03-18-22 02:09 AM
    Plz my blackberry play book unable display Id agreement problem
    BlackBerry shut down all of its services and infrastructure back in January. You're stuck.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-18-22 09:04 AM
    How do I fire up the desktop manager?

hope this helps!
    04-01-22 12:28 PM
    How do I fire up the desktop manager?
    Based on the post you replied to , you simply go back to May 2011
    04-01-22 06:47 PM

What do you mean desktop manager? Is it a certain program on a computer?
    07-22-22 07:04 AM

What do you mean desktop manager? Is it a certain program on a computer?
    Yes it was the original Desktop software that was provided with the PlayBook.... offered syncing options for data, along with backups from your PlayBook to a PC for restoring.

If you don't have a Playbook setup already... then it can't be done now as it required connection to BlackBerry's servers that are not there now.

If you don't have a PlayBook that is setup already and has been synced to the desktop software... you can't establish a secure "sync" without the BlackBerry's servers, that are not there now.

Post made before Jan 4th 2022 (BlackBerry Server shutdown date) are no long valid.... your quoting a post from 2011.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-22-22 09:40 AM

hope this helps!
    Maybe you could send a backup of yours and those of us who have one can upload your backup onto our playbook? I tried what you did and it didnt work sadly.
    07-25-22 02:18 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD