Hey guys.

I received a PlayBook yesterday and I cannot set it up as on the second page after I try to connect to my wifi, I get the message "unable to authenticate against the network".

There is nothing I can do after that only go back to the Welcome screen and choose my country???

Any help would be great, otherwise it will have to go back to the shop.
    12-26-11 03:23 AM
    Oh so sorry you are having problems...
    Check this thread and see if it will help you..

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...roblem-681930/

And welcome to the forums!

Click the link below for more 'tips and tricks'
    12-26-11 03:31 AM
    Hi Thanks I have already read trough that link. I don't get past the connect to wifi screen so I have no option to update?
    12-26-11 03:36 AM
    Hi Thanks I have already read trough that link. I don't get past the connect to wifi screen so I have no option to update?
    well shooot.... lemme go see if I can find a good thread...
    12-26-11 03:38 AM
    Make sure your battery is almost full.

Do a three finger reboot....
    Hold these down for 10 sec at the same time
    Power Button
    Volume - and +

This will reboot and hopfully reset your PB if any issues were hidden.

On your wifi, do you have other devices that connect ok? some posters have problems with there wifi settings and have had to change from N to B/G.

If those don't work, do the de-brick procedure....

Step 1: Connect your PlayBook to your PC via MicroUSB cable and open Desktop Manager
    Step 2: ****Ignore this for now***Backup your PlayBook! This install process is a CLEAN WIPE. You'll lose all data.
    Step 3: Within Desktop Manager, hit Device > Update on the menu.
    Step 4: No Update will be found. Just hit ok and go back to Desktop Manager homescreen.
    Step 5. From there, while still plugged in, Restart your PlayBook using the power button app.
    Step 6. A new popup window will appear giving you some options. Hit Update.
    Step 7: Let that baby update and you'll be on the latest software. Warning: it takes a while!

Also read this .... http://crackberry.com/tags/blackberry-playbook-101
    Last edited by jafobabe; 12-26-11 at 04:12 AM.
    12-26-11 04:04 AM
    Try knocking your router security settings down from WAP to WEP. I had the same problem and that worked for me.
    12-26-11 05:48 AM
    @jafobabe I don't have Desktop Manager. How do I get this?

@Rafkin I don't know how to change the settings on my router, it doesn't have any buttons and everything else connects fine (xbox, ds, laptop, etc...)

Thanks guys.
    12-26-11 06:22 AM
    The easiest way is to connect to a known, good network that doesn't have security enabled - like your nearest McDonald's.
    12-26-11 07:44 AM
    Try knocking your router security settings down from WAP to WEP. I had the same problem and that worked for me.
    I had the same problem and he's right I have a netgear 3700 that would not let me connect.
    I tried connecting thru the password with no luck. I went to my router and disabled the
    WEP and it instantly connected. I then turned the security back on and all is well.
    Last edited by Betmen; 12-26-11 at 08:40 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-26-11 08:16 AM
    You can download Desktop Manager here:

Blackberry Desktop Manager
    jafobabe and GettingAnnoyed like this.
    12-26-11 08:31 AM
    well shooot.... lemme go see if I can find a good thread...

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean that the thread was no good, just that I had already looked through the forum before I wasted peoples time asking my question.
    12-26-11 09:49 AM
    I had the same problem and he's right I have a netgear 3700 that would not let me connect.
    I tried connecting thru the password with no luck. I went to my router and disabled the
    WEP and it instantly connected. I then turned the security back on and all is well.

Thanks, I don't seem to have any switch or anything to adjust my router.
    Sorry if I seem dumb.
    12-26-11 09:50 AM
    Are you using BlackBerry Bridge?
    Did you seek out and installed the 2.0 Developer build?

If you are using the Dev build, downgrade, there isninformation on the forums how.

If you are using Bridge, disable Bridge, delete the saved wifi network, restart your PlayBook, use the three push button method another poster noted or simply hold the power button for a few seconds until it turns off then on, or touch the battery icon and restart.

When you boot back on, try connecting to your wifi network.

If you are running the dev build, that may also be your issue, and it also might not, it happens, I have been using the dev build since I got my PlayBook.

Let us now how it goes, I used to have this issue. A lot of this had to do because my BlackBerry was tethering and confusing my network when it would communicate.
    12-26-11 09:57 AM
    I found with my netgear router that even on my laptop it doesn't want to connect if I manually input my security key but if I use the button method everything connects with no problem.

So if your router has one of those buttons to connect devices try that instead of manual input.
    12-26-11 10:07 AM
    @ CL8Baller. I am not using anything I cannot get any further than the second screen where I am supposed to connect to wifi to begin set up?

@kellyjdrummer. I am using a netgear from SkyBroadband I cannot see an number other than a mac number and a serial number.
    12-26-11 10:09 AM
    I am wondering if it is a Sky issue as there is no other number other than the two I mention???
    Thank you so much for your help. I have downloaded the Blackberry Desktop and am I waiting for it to install, it takes soooo long on my laptop.
    12-26-11 10:41 AM
    Generally, to get into router settings, in a browser on your computer/laptop, at the address bar (where you'd type google.com or yahoo.com) you type

That will allow you to get to router settings. Sometimes the userid is Admin and the Password is "password" and then you might be able to see the settings.

Let us know.....
    GettingAnnoyed likes this.
    12-26-11 10:46 AM
    Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean that the thread was no good, just that I had already looked through the forum before I wasted peoples time asking my question.
    You didn't offend me, and it's my fault for choosing the wrong word 'good' for a thread I was looking for, that woould have helped you better in your particular problem. I appologize.
    12-26-11 10:48 AM
    That doesn't work for all routers. In your case, F2, I believe that's a Linksys router. I have a D-Link and use 192.168.0.1, they are not all the same. For a Netgear router, this info, which is not an IP number, is at the link I posted. It appears to be http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com. If you have a Netgear router as the OP does, clicking one or either of <-------those links will get you to your login screen.
    Thanks for that info. I expected it to be a somewhat universal method.
    12-26-11 11:39 AM
    It finally installed and I cannot use it as my PlayBook needs to finish set up! I wish I could, I have spoken to Blackberry support and they don't know what the problem is??? They just asked me if I could go somewhere and use they wifi connection. Which I think I will try tomorrow. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how I get on.
    12-26-11 12:41 PM
    Hi again. after rumaging around on youtube, I came across a way to change my router settings which I did temporarily to no security and bingo my PlayBook connected. Now my problem is I have obviously changed it back to secure and again my PlayBook will not connect. Anyone got a solution or does the PlayBook go back to the store??
    12-26-11 01:32 PM
    Hi again. after rumaging around on youtube, I came across a way to change my router settings which I did temporarily to no security and bingo my PlayBook connected. Now my problem is I have obviously changed it back to secure and again my PlayBook will not connect. Anyone got a solution or does the PlayBook go back to the store??
    If your router is now secure, you need to enter a password on the pb so it can connect on a regular basis. You may need to go back into router settings or if you know the password, enter it as the pb asks for that info. I don't recall the process at the moment.
    12-26-11 03:15 PM
    Does your router have a button you push to connect new devices? If so delete the profile on the playbook and then push the button on your router and search for a network on the playbook and choose the option for wps.
    12-26-11 03:52 PM
    Hi I don't have a button on my router.
    12-27-11 06:30 AM
    Hi I have tried to re join my network using my passkey but I still get the unable to authenticate against the network!
    12-27-11 06:34 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD