The price of the PB in the UK has gone up after the price drop at Christmas - 16gb now 249 UKP (was 169), 32gb now 259 UKP (was 199) whilst the 64gb is still discounted at 269 UKP.
    In my opinion, RIM should have kept the lower price until the end of January in order to build a solid consumer base and so that us PB newbies (me!) can tell our colleagues, friends and family what a superb machine the PB is and perhaps influence them to buy one. Two of my colleagues have purchased one on the strength of investigating my PB and the low price.
    01-12-12 03:43 AM
    I am hoping that the price of the 64gb remains the same for the end of the month, I made a post further down the forum and someone has noted that you can get cashback with quidco I think.
    01-12-12 03:49 AM
    I wouldn't get too excited about the prices going up.

My reading would be that RIM expects OS2's launch in February to be a big boost for sales, and they will probably back this up with some proper advertising, so they don't want to be doing that at the low prices they have been offering.

What will then happen is that they will review sales figures and sales trends and work out they need to cut the price again

They also need to establish a higher standard price so when they offer money off discounts they appear to be (and actually are) genuine savings.
    01-12-12 04:15 AM
    Just got mine yesterday, how lucky i was. With cash being tight at the moment, the low price was the deciding factor. Hopefully RIM will continue to do things to increase the number of PB users, as it a good bit of kit that that if marketed better would be up there with the ipad. Why are there no Blackberry shops in the Uk?
    01-12-12 04:20 AM
    A shame that price was not avaliable for long at all (from 26th December to 11th January). I have just demonstrated the Playbook here at work and they said for the money it looked good.
    01-12-12 05:15 AM
    I wouldn't get too excited about the prices going up.

My reading would be that RIM expects OS2's launch in February to be a big boost for sales, and they will probably back this up with some proper advertising, so they don't want to be doing that at the low prices they have been offering.

What will then happen is that they will review sales figures and sales trends and work out they need to cut the price again

They also need to establish a higher standard price so when they offer money off discounts they appear to be (and actually are) genuine savings.
    I thought it made sense too.
    The last sale was in line with everything else around at that time. RIM lost a lot of money there although it also to enticed more developers. A lot of PB were bought around the world at that time. Everyone who was unsure before bought one as the price matched risk and I dare say the inventory was reduced significantly (people reported buying december builds of the PB).
    Naturally when OS 2.0 lands, RIM will see how sales respond and act accordingly.
    Early indications are that OS 2.0 is a serious bump in functionality and it remains to be seen how much the old PB reputation will harm its potential into translating into better sales. A second wave of adverts would help.
    01-12-12 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD