Has anyone had any luck with WiFi file sharing using Ubuntu? I can not seem to get it to work. The Playbook shows up under my network, but shows an error. Failed to retrieve share list from server.
    04-19-11 03:55 PM
    I think I saw (in a store demo unit) a dropdown with options to select "Access from PC" or "Access from Mac" (or something like that). Maybe switching from whichever one you've got selected will help. No idea why that would be required, but who knows?
    04-19-11 04:24 PM
    I just tried it in Ubuntu, it worked fine. I didn't have to change / configure anything on the PB or in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 10.10 btw.
    Fubaz likes this.
    04-19-11 04:33 PM
    great to hear!
    04-19-11 04:33 PM
    humm trying to make it work as well...no luck...even with usb cable....
    when i plug the playbook to the computer the playbook prompt me to install something. obvously, i wont be able to.

Alex338, can you tell me where did you go and the steps you made?
    thanks!
    05-01-11 02:32 PM
    To configure the BlackBerry PlayBook I recommend the BlackBerry knowledge-base article (KB26068) How to transfer files to and from the BlackBerry PlayBook. Additionally, you might have to edit the WORKGROUP setting in /etc/samba/smb.conf to match the WORKGROUP setting on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Setting a password within the Storage & Sharing panel on the BlackBerry PlayBook is probably a good idea as well.

The other postings on this forum regarding this particular capability to wirelessly share files between the BlackBerry PlayBook and personal computers seem to have made an simple process overly complicated albeit with good intentions.
    Last edited by BB9700CA; 05-01-11 at 04:22 PM.
    05-01-11 04:17 PM
    In Ubuntu, just go to Places > connect to server and connect to a windows share

Server: playbook's IP (you can find this under About > Network on the PB)

This should connect you to choose either the media or certs folder.

Let me know if you need further help. You don't need to configure anything, other than have the PB connected within your network via Wifi. Wifi sharing, of course, has to be turned on within the Playbook settings.
    axllebeer likes this.
    05-01-11 04:33 PM
    In Ubuntu, just go to Places > connect to server and connect to a windows share

Server: playbook's IP (you can find this under About > Network on the PB)

This should connect you to choose either the media or certs folder.

Let me know if you need further help. You don't need to configure anything, other than have the PB connected within your network via Wifi. Wifi sharing, of course, has to be turned on within the Playbook settings.
    Not for me
    06-20-11 09:14 PM
    It worked perfectly for me. I just went into the settings on the Playbook as was stated and typed in the number under IPv4 in the top line labeled "Server" and it connected right away popping up a window. There was nothing else that I had to do at all. This has been a great help for me as not being able to connect my Playbook with Ubuntu is one of the few reasons left that I still run my PC in a duel boot mode with Windows XP. This has eliminated one more reason that I've not transitioned away from Windows entirely. Just make sure that that everything is updated to the newest OS on both devices. Don't know if that will make a difference, but it never hurts to stay up to date on the latest OS.
    07-02-11 01:08 AM
    Works as described - just had to make sure PB network settings'storage and sharing' had file sharing and Wi-fi sharing 'ON' and Workgroup name was the same on both devices
    08-27-11 12:58 PM
    This is great information and I managed to connect my PB to Ubuntu according to the instructions above.

Maybe this is a silly newbie question, but I do I browse Ubuntu's file system from the PB and vice versa?

I've poked around on both by pc and using Files and Folders on the PB, but I don't see either file system.

Cheers.
    01-28-12 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD