Been enjoying exploring my PlayBook for a half a day!

When I used the PB at Staples it was bolted down so I didn't get a good feeling of it in my hands. It fits nicely!

The only other tab I have used is my parents iPad occasionally to see if I wanted a tab. I always set it on my lap to use it, especially when typing.

However, using the PB, I find myself holding it like a phone and typing with my thumbs. I didn't think that would be possible but the size is perfect for that, and I type fast like that!

Does anyone type on their iPads like that? Is it possible? I will be showcasing my PlayBook tomorrow at my parents house and there will be debate, lol. My dad already said he hopes the PB works and that it is old tech.

Looking forward to showing him the pre-installed videos, browser with Flash, and bridge feature!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-19-12 08:13 AM
    Yes, I believe you can type on the iPad in portrait mode. However< you would need some very long thumbs to do it!

Enjoy your PB! (You may want to hold off until the release of OS 2 to really show off the device!)
    02-19-12 08:18 AM
    Yeah.....the split keyboard makes it pretty easy.

Last edited by ugahairydawgs; 02-19-12 at 08:27 AM.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-19-12 08:19 AM
    yeah you can its ok I used to type that way, but now use a keyboard for my iPad2
    def cant compare to the feel of the playbook which just feels
    like a big smartphone in your hands no keyboard needed.
    02-19-12 08:24 AM
    I think the ipad split keyboard is not as efficient as typing on a 7" PlayBook. The split keyboard appears in the middle of the screen and the on-screen keys are just too small, and it just makes holding the ipad even more weird! There are things that you just cannot do right on a bigger tablet.
    02-19-12 08:27 AM
    What's the weight difference between the two? Honestly, I never used the iPad while holding it up. I will try it tomorrow. Just seems too big.
    02-19-12 08:29 AM
    You know, I never learned how to type with my thumbs, whether it was on a BB phone or the PB. I watch my daughter whirl away with her thumbs, but I can't do that. I would imagine that a 7" tablet such as the PB would be infinitely more user friendly for you thumb typers though.
    02-19-12 08:29 AM
    You know, I never learned how to type with my thumbs, whether it was on a BB phone or the PB. I watch my daughter whirl away with her thumbs, but I can't do that. I would imagine that a 7" tablet such as the PB would be infinitely more user friendly for you thumb typers though.
    How do you type on your phones then?
    02-19-12 08:33 AM
    How do you type on your phones then?
    With my index finger, hunt and peck style, or if it's handy, my stylus.
    02-19-12 08:41 AM
    I have mastered the art of typing with my thumb on the PB
    It was difficult at first, but now I can go pretty fast, off course not as fast as on the laptop.

Overall I love the typing experience on the PB, and I use the landscape mode, as it makes what I type easier to read
    02-19-12 08:42 AM
    With my index finger, hunt and peck style, or if it's handy, my stylus.
    I do too, never have used my thumbs
    02-19-12 08:47 AM
    So non thumb typists, you have to set your phones down on a surface to type?! Isn't that a hassle?
    02-19-12 08:49 AM
    So non thumb typists, you have to set your phones down on a surface to type?! Isn't that a hassle?
    Not at all, why would that be? Hold phone in left hand, and type away with your index finger from your right hand.
    02-19-12 08:52 AM
    Oh ok, gotcha. Man that seems inefficient! But I guess you get fast if you're used to it!
    02-19-12 08:57 AM
    Oh look another thread about the iPad. Shocking.
    02-19-12 08:58 AM
    It is? I like the iPad too. No need to get defensive either way. They are both really good tabs. Just found it interesting that I always used the iPad on my lap. And find myself picking up the PB.
    02-19-12 09:02 AM
    There are many people who do not type with their thumbs. The popular Swype keyboard on some phones and a few Android tablets, for instance, is meant for use with a different finger. Swype on a Playbook would actually be quite nice but it is certainly never going to happen....
    02-19-12 09:04 AM
    using the PB, I find myself holding it like a phone and typing with my thumbs. I didn't think that would be possible but the size is perfect for that, and I type fast like that!
    I know exactly what you mean! It's just like typing on your phone... I'm quite the thumb typist!
    02-19-12 09:06 AM
    There are many people who do not type with their thumbs. The popular Swype keyboard on some phones and a few Android tablets, for instance, is meant for use with a different finger. Swype on a Playbook would actually be quite nice but it is certainly never going to happen....
    I did not get a chance to check out Swype when i had my Thunderbolt. I know a lot of people love it. Will have to try it out sometime. Maybe that would be quicker.
    02-19-12 09:14 AM
    Playbook in Landscape mode is doable for my small hands but I find I type pretty well and few errors even without the 2.0 error correction coming.

Portrait mode is quite easy and phone like.
    02-19-12 09:55 AM
    Yes, I should mention I have only used the PB in landscape mode!
    02-19-12 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD