Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Two Questions!(Batteries and Printers)

Hi,

Two questions. Both of these I have done a little research on, and come back with quite a bit of (sometimes conflicting) information, so I thought I'd ask the people who should know (those that use the Playbook all the time).

I accidentally left my PB switched on last night, and as the battery was already low it obviously ran right down and switched itself off. I tried turning it back on, and the battery meter said 0% and after about 20s it just powered down again. I plugged it in using the USB charger that comes in the box so charging from a mains socket, not a USB device. It must have taken 45-60 minutes for the battery meter to even get off 0% which caused me no small amount of panic, but it eventually started going up. However, it has now been on charge for 5.5 hours, and it is still not fully charged (though at 94% now). So question 1 is how long does it take for most people's playbook to charge from empty? Don't worry mentioning Battery Guru by the way, I've already been convinced that seems like an invaluable app, and will be downloading that soon.
    EDIT: Finally reached full charge (Plug Icon over battery) after 5.75 hours. Is this normal for a charge from 0%?

Question2 - Is there an (easy?) way of printing directly from the PB, or do I have to transfer the file to a PC and print from there? At first I thought Print-To-Go was what I'm looking for, but that just seems to be a way of printing TO the PB (as a PDF).
    EDIT - Actually, unless you have an amazing way of printing from the Playbook, don't bother answering thsi. I just found a thread that says pretty much it can't be done, except for the occasional special printer, or complicated techniques involving installing 'server' apps on PC which sound like more hassle than just transferring the file and printing from the computer...!

Suggestions and comments welcomed.

Thanks,

Chris.
    Last edited by ChrisMay; 01-17-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Additional Info.
    CrackBerry Genius

Is there a lightning bolt or plug icon over the battery? After you get the Battery guru app check the voltage. I belive 4.2 volts is fully charged.

If you have WiFi sharing set up:
    On the PC highlight your file-right click and print. Don't need to transfer the file. You won't get all the printing options but it works fine for printing text.
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Most new, cheap printers now have email addresses. You can email your docs from anywhere in the known universe and get it printed. There is also an App called "Print". You have to have your laptop turned on but when you print your docs, it goes directly to the printer. You don't have to do anything on your laptop.
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-17-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Also most new printers are wifi. I use that all the time with my PB

Even the rapid chargers can take about 3.5 hours to recharge a pb.

Also don't try running anything when recharging if you want it to charge faster and fully. And while it may not be a great impact, each time you bring it out of standby to see what it's doing, you turn on the screen which is one of the biggest power drains and so probably slow the process.
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-21-2013) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMay View Post
    EDIT: Finally reached full charge (Plug Icon over battery) after 5.75 hours. Is this normal for a charge from 0%?
    Yes, this is normal behaviour for a depleted battery (0%) per the battery meter.

Question2 - Is there an (easy?) way of printing directly from the PB, or do I have to transfer the file to a PC and print from there? At first I thought Print-To-Go was what I'm looking for, but that just seems to be a way of printing TO the PB (as a PDF.
    You need a networked printer capable of accepting print-jobs via email to the printer. A "true" network printer solution does not exist though Research In Motion could have ported CUPS to the BlackBerry PlayBook as part of the basic operating system. Maybe BlackBerry OS 10 will bring this feature. Fingers crossed.
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

For easy printing from a PB to a computer printer and for transferring files from a PB to a computer look at the apps from "Daniel Bigham". Both of these apps are easily installed and easily used.
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    331EEA46

I have been told (unofficially ) from a RIM person that BB10 printing support is planned. I wasn't given any details on how or when.
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

I use 'Print' by Daniel Bingham, as mentioned above, works perfectly well as long as your computer is on, and your printer. If your computer or printer are off, the document will print when you turn them on again. I've had no problems with this app, and find it quite valuable, at least until BB10 has it as a native function. Hope this helps!
    Chapple13

Z10 and loving it!
    Torch 9800 (retired, not forgotten)
    PB 32 gb
    PB 64 gb

We don't need no stinking Ipads!
    Thanked by:
    ChrisMay (01-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Jimberry Storm View Post
    Also most new printers are wifi. I use that all the time with my PB
    How?