Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default The Two Nagging PB Mysteries

Ever since I got my PB more than a year ago, two major mysteries have fascinated me:

1. What was the real reason Skype and Google Maps never made it to the PlayBook?
    2. AT&T was the only carrier on the planet to try to block BB Bridge. Why didn't any of the other carriers follow suit?

When BB10 finally comes to the PB, will these issues be re-examined?

Global Posts
    24,206 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

1) RIM is not responsible for apps built by other companies. I am sure they tried to get those apps for the PB
    2) good question, i think a couple others did block but no other major ones
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Genius

Answer to question one.... bad PR and not enough units sold to bother...

Answer to question two... Its ATT&T.....
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

There was considerable excitement about the PB before it was released, and no doubt RIM contacted Skype and Google well in advance, so that their apps would be available on Day One. But I'm wondering if the former CEOs might have said something like, "Since your apps are free and will be popular, you'll need to pay us to put them on App World."

Regarding BB Bridge, here in the US at least, carriers love to charge $20-$30 a month for tethering / Mobile Hotspot. Such nickle and diming is their bread and butter. So I cannot fathom why they would just sit idly by and let RIM give it away for free.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

1. Skype is now owned by MS. It may or may never come to BB. Only time will tell. As far as netflix and such goes, they look for ways to gain customers. For PB users, they will only be satisfying current subscribers since the user base is so small. With iOS and Android, they have a much better opportunity to earn more customers. Then we have Netflix's financial issues which further prevents them from creating new stuff for a select few people. I hate to say it, but until BB10 comes out and proves itself, BlackBerry user may not get those apps. It's financially unsound (is that a word?) to make free apps when there's little or no potential benefit. Netflix and others are trying to make money. The only one in the near future that would benefit from Netflix on the PB is RIM.

2. I don't think the other carriers care. PB users don't exactly make up a large population of tablet users. Also, bridging our PBs is no worse than getting a Galaxy phone or iPhone and streaming a bunch of Netflix. My guess is that AT&T are run by a bunch of a-holes...

Global Posts
    24,206 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by dugggggg View Post
    There was considerable excitement about the PB before it was released, and no doubt RIM contacted Skype and Google well in advance, so that their apps would be available on Day One. But I'm wondering if the former CEOs might have said something like, "Since your apps are free and will be popular, you'll need to pay us to put them on App World."

Regarding BB Bridge, here in the US at least, carriers love to charge $20-$30 a month for tethering / Mobile Hotspot. Such nickle and diming is their bread and butter. So I cannot fathom why they would just sit idly by and let RIM give it away for free.
    carriers are getting better with tethering chargers. ATT and VZW have moved away from them. I think tmobile is free too. Not sure about sprint
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat