is there anyway that playbook screen can be used as a monitor or display like for example if i have a machine like use the hdmi port an mini hdmi cable to use the screen to see my machine desktop that would be kinda of cool probably impossible but good imagination but then again probably won't really need it since i can just use the playbook as a computer by hooking up a wireless keyboard and mouse.
    08-28-11 11:19 PM
    As far as I know, the HDMI is uni-directional. So, I would say no.
    08-28-11 11:21 PM
    you can use a vnc program. I use Imc Vnc on playbook sine its free, but its not an everyday useable program. I have been wanting to try out rdm + but its $10 and I havent found any videos of it running in action. I use imc as a media remote when I have my computer hooked up to my hdtv for movies. I can also check on my computer while away.

Once a faster more reliable vnc app comes out on the playbook, your playbook can login to your computer and it will basically be a fully powered computer.
    08-28-11 11:33 PM
    you can use a vnc program. I use Imc Vnc on playbook sine its free, but its not an everyday useable program. I have been wanting to try out rdm + but its $10 and I havent found any videos of it running in action. I use imc as a media remote when I have my computer hooked up to my hdtv for movies. I can also check on my computer while away.

Once a faster more reliable vnc app comes out on the playbook, your playbook can login to your computer and it will basically be a fully powered computer.
    Don't Buy RDM+ , it is very slow and the action buttons are not work perfectly. The way IMTVNC works is a perfect.
    08-29-11 11:35 AM
    08-29-11 01:46 PM
    As far as I know, the HDMI is uni-directional. So, I would say no.
    I know some of the newer ones (since 3D Bluray came out) have an Audio Return Channel. Also, I remember reading about network capable HDMI cables. I'm not sure if they came out yet or not.

I don't know all the technical stuff behind that, but if its not capable yet, it should be soon. (as far as the uni-directional limitation is concered)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-11 01:56 PM
    I don't think that thread is what the OP was referring to....a cool setup though.

Unfortunately an extended desktop setup isn't quite as simple. First you need a way to hook the Playbook up to receive signals from the host computer, simple enough in theory given the tools we have available now, but would probably be some kind of wifi link. The second part is that the host computer needs a display driver to run the monitor. Like when you plug an external display into a laptop, and the display settings will show that you have 2 monitors that you can move around on the screen and set resolution...etc. This happens because there is a link between the computer and monitor, and the monitor is telling the computer "hey, I'm a display, give me some images brah. I can even do 1080 yo!" so the computer complies and voila, 2 displays.

In order to accomplish this, one would most likely need two apps: one for the computer to know that there is a 2nd monitor as well as transmit the data to the Playbook, and another app for the Playbook itself to receive and display the data.

tl:dr version: In order to have extended desktop with a Playbook, you need a virtual display driver on the computer, and an app on the Playbook to run the display
    08-29-11 02:03 PM
    I know some of the newer ones (since 3D Bluray came out) have an Audio Return Channel. Also, I remember reading about network capable HDMI cables. I'm not sure if they came out yet or not.

I don't know all the technical stuff behind that, but if its not capable yet, it should be soon. (as far as the uni-directional limitation is concered)

Yes they are out. That would be the 1.4 Standard.

New Features of HDMI include:

HDMI Ethernet Channel
    Audio Return Channel
    3D Support
    4K x 2K Support
    More Color Spaces
    New Connectors

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
    08-29-11 02:55 PM
    Don't Buy RDM+ , it is very slow and the action buttons are not work perfectly. The way IMTVNC works is a perfect.
    True, rdm+ on the playbook is slow for some reason, on the smartphone is acceptable considering it has less hardware, but on the playbook, loading time should be much better.

08-29-11 02:59 PM
    Yes they are out. That would be the 1.4 Standard.

New Features of HDMI include:

HDMI Ethernet Channel
    Audio Return Channel
    3D Support
    4K x 2K Support
    More Color Spaces
    New Connectors

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
    Cool, thanks for the info. I've been out of the Home Theater game for a few months. I'm a bit rusty.

08-29-11 03:03 PM
    thanks for the replys they were useful the reason to my post was becuase i have a macmini which i carry around and it has a hdmi port which would be awesome just to hook up the playbook as a display.
    09-06-11 01:41 AM
    a quick search brought up this post:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...onitor-639976/
    That's not related at all. All he did was mount the Playbook so he could view it while using his other electronics.
    trunks20022 likes this.
    09-06-11 02:54 AM
    Will playbook support displaylink?

DisplayLink for iPad on the iTunes App Store
    03-15-12 07:42 AM
    Will playbook support displaylink?

DisplayLink for iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Nope. There's no app for that here.
    03-15-12 07:52 AM
    Do you think that an app like that would be good to have on the playbook?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-15-12 12:42 PM
    Is there a chance to use BlackBerry Playbook as an external / additional screen of BlackBerry 10 devices? I don't mean connecting via bridge. I want to use my BlackBerry 10 device and wanna push the phone's screen image to my playbook?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-17 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD