Hi guys,

Super happy with my PB here.

Just got a micro hdmi and was playing around with it.

If I connect it to a TV to say, watch a video or use fireplace app, is there any way to turn off the PB screen so as to not have two screens running and also save battery.

If I push the power button the screen still shows on the HDTV however it pauses the video.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.
    07-22-11 06:06 AM
    Maybe you are just accidentally pausing it when you use the button.

Try putting it in standby mode from the battery icon, that works for me.
    07-22-11 06:39 AM
    If the video is running full screen then you cannot press the battery icon. And I am definitely not hitting the pause button, I have played around with this a lot and it pauses the video any time you push the 'standby'button.

Anyone got any ideas?
    07-22-11 07:28 AM
    You can still access the battery icon (I think?).

Swipe down diagonally from the top right corner to access the the top bar. You can hit the battery icon and standbye from there.

Don't know if it will solve your video problem though!
    07-22-11 07:47 AM
    If the video is running full screen then you cannot press the battery icon. And I am definitely not hitting the pause button, I have played around with this a lot and it pauses the video any time you push the 'standby'button.

Anyone got any ideas?
    While the video is playing, press the double-square button in the top right hand corner. The PB screen will go back to your video overview page but the video will keep playing through the HDMI. Set your PB down and it will timeout like normal, but the video will continue playing.
    07-22-11 07:55 AM
    Ah Coco you are truly excellent! Thanks
    07-22-11 09:14 AM
    Ah Coco you are truly excellent! Thanks
    Was wondering if anyone knows a way while playing a video from the internet, if there is a way to turn off the display?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    amablek likes this.
    11-29-11 04:07 PM
    Under General options, turn Demo mode on. Demo mode plays videos while in standby and the charger is plugged in. Also note that media files created while Demo is enabled will be deleted during the demo.

You can also set the Application behavior on the same General options screen to Showcase, which leaves all open applications active, even in the background.
    11-29-11 04:21 PM
    Under General options, turn Demo mode on. Demo mode plays videos while in standby and the charger is plugged in. Also note that media files created while Demo is enabled will be deleted during the demo.

You can also set the Application behavior on the same General options screen to Showcase, which leaves all open applications active, even in the background.
    in demo mode it ask for retailer code can you help with that
    11-29-11 08:25 PM
    The default setting for HDMI out is Mirror Mode, meaning the external monitor/TV shows the same thing as what is appearing on your PB. In other words, you have two displays. Tap on the Gear icon to get into Settings, choose HDMI, and turn Default to Mirror Mode off. You'll then only see something on your external monitor when the application supports HDMI out in presenter mode, such as Videos and Slideshow to Go. That should give you what you want.
    sputneek likes this.
    11-29-11 09:29 PM
    no video will display if not in mirror mode .. only audio.. even if you are playing the default video BB provides.. just sayin..
    12-29-11 11:38 AM
    in demo mode it ask for retailer code can you help with that
    Password is "instoredemo"
    12-29-11 01:02 PM
    Many thanks cocothehouseboy for your tip, but when i playing a video online with native browser, i can not turn off display. Is there a way to solve this?

My OS 2.1.0.1088
    Last edited by amablek; 11-25-12 at 07:46 PM.
    11-22-12 06:40 PM
    No.

There's no way to turn off the PB's screen when you are streaming video in the browser through HDMI out. The only way is if you're playing a video that's stored on the PB with the native video player. Sorry. Also, the PB will not automatically turn the screen off, it will stay on. It sucks because it drains battery when you don't really need the PB screen to be on.
    amablek likes this.
    11-23-12 12:38 AM
    under general options, turn demo mode on. Demo mode plays videos while in standby and the charger is plugged in. also note that media files created while demo is enabled will be deleted during the demo.

You can also set the application behavior on the same general options screen to showcase, which leaves all open applications active, even in the background.
    WARNING- WARNING- : Absolutely do NOT turn on demo mode. I did,, and the result was that i lost all of my music and videos and most of my photos. I can't swear absolutely that turning on demo mode was the cause of this, but i have no other reasonable explanation for what happened.
    11-23-12 04:11 AM
    Glad I read this thread, I've been throwing the sleeve that comes with the playbook over the screen Works for me!
    11-23-12 08:10 AM
    WARNING- WARNING- : Absolutely do NOT turn on demo mode. I did,, and the result was that i lost all of my music and videos and most of my photos. I can't swear absolutely that turning on demo mode was the cause of this, but i have no other reasonable explanation for what happened.
    I THINK Demo mode allows folks to take pictures, record sounds and copy stuff and when Demo is ended, the pb does clean up "stuff!"
    11-23-12 09:17 AM
    I THINK Demo mode allows folks to take pictures, record sounds and copy stuff and when Demo is ended, the pb does clean up "stuff!"
    The "stuff" that it cleaned up was nearly 25 gig of media. Luckily, I had backed up my media about a month and a half ago so I didn't lose much, but it still took me over three hours to get that "stuff" back on my PB. Oh, and the one media folder that didn't get erased was my Camera folder.
    11-23-12 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD