Ok, I am really warming up to this PB. I really like it a lot. I found out so many things about my PB today that I did not know. This thing has a lot of possibilities for what I do even though it won't do everything. But of course, nothing will do everything, right?

One little agrivation for me though is this: The email client doesn't sleep. It stays active and is constantly recieving messages all the time. There is a little icon in the upper left corner that continues to count up as new messages come in. This bugs me. I want the client to sleep when I close it. I don't want it checking for and loading new messages until I open the client just like it does on my PC. Is there a way to make this happen? I have looked in settings and everywhere and can find nothing. The only way I can find to get it to stop this is to delete the account on my PB and not use my PB for email.
    02-24-12 01:04 AM
    I had my Playbook in Standby mode and an email message came in at 4:00am in the morning and the notification sound woke me up from my sleep.
    02-24-12 01:20 AM
    Did you go to your main settings window (the one where you swipe down, has airplane mode, wi-fi, etc? Hit the accounts menu, there it will have your email account, , touch this, then there will be a sync email button you can slide off.

Otherwise the only other option is turn off the wifi, then put it in standby... Actually, its almost easier this way. Kind of a pain in the neck at the moment.
    02-24-12 01:36 AM
    Yes there is a way, I did it, but I did it for a different reason. There is a lot of talk about people not liking the duplicate alerts from the native email and the bridge email, and so turning off Bridge. But when you do that you have 3 disadvantages:
    1. You use more battery getting your email from WiFi vs BT.
    2. You then can't use the very handy mew bridge feature Open On Playbook.
    3. If you read an Email it is not Instantly marked as Read on your BB (and vise versa).

So my solution was to leave bridge email on and to turn off push on the native email. That way I get the best of both worlds.

So anyways on to your solution:

On your PB: Settings>Accounts>(select account)>Advanced>Push: Off>Sync Interval: Manual.

That way it Email will only come in when you open the app and not at 4am.
    Phylth and bradfordbantam like this.
    02-24-12 01:44 AM

On your PB: Settings>Accounts>(select account)>Advanced>Push: Off>Sync Interval: Manual.

That doesn't quite work either. At least not in my case...

I have 2 email accounts setup. The first (default) is my pop3 'work' email and it is set to manual. The second is my Gmail account. I cannot set the frequency here on the second - it is grayed out.
    So although it's set to receive when I want it to, my Gmail still comes in!
    Very annoying. Had the notification sound on too loud and woke me up at 2AM!
    02-24-12 02:19 AM
    That doesn't quite work either. At least not in my case...

I have 2 email accounts setup. The first (default) is my pop3 'work' email and it is set to manual. The second is my Gmail account. I cannot set the frequency here on the second - it is grayed out.
    So although it's set to receive when I want it to, my Gmail still comes in!
    The reason it is greyed out is because you havent turned Push off. Do that and it'll work.
    02-24-12 02:22 AM
    Yes there is a way, I did it, but I did it for a different reason. There is a lot of talk about people not liking the duplicate alerts from the native email and the bridge email, and so turning off Bridge. But when you do that you have 3 disadvantages:
    1. You use more battery getting your email from WiFi vs BT.
    2. You then can't use the very handy mew bridge feature Open On Playbook.
    3. If you read an Email it is not Instantly marked as Read on your BB (and vise versa).

So my solution was to leave bridge email on and to turn off push on the native email. That way I get the best of both worlds.

I have a similar kind of setup>> but what I've done is that setup a backup mail account on the Native BB email app which collects a backup of all my 5 email accounts (sent & received). Push settings are off on Native mail and Notifications are off on Native mail.

I mainly use my email via Bridge for all the adv. listed above. Beyond that I store only 30 days of emails on the phone so now my phone is not that heavy with emails. Any emails older than that can be found in my backup email acc setup on the Native mail.

Every night before sleeping > i run the native email application and let it collectively download all the emails via wifi at home..

Disadvantages is that you can't use the native email goodies but that doesn't matter much to me.. Bridge mail gets the work done for me..
    02-24-12 02:40 AM
    I have a similar kind of setup>> but what I've done is that setup a backup mail account on the Native BB email app which collects a backup of all my 5 email accounts (sent & received). Push settings are off on Native mail and Notifications are off on Native mail.

I mainly use my email via Bridge for all the adv. listed above. Beyond that I store only 30 days of emails on the phone so now my phone is not that heavy with emails. Any emails older than that can be found in my backup email acc setup on the Native mail.

Every night before sleeping > i run the native email application and let it collectively download all the emails via wifi at home..

Disadvantages is that you can't use the native email goodies but that doesn't matter much to me.. Bridge mail gets the work done for me..
    Do you mind if I ask why you do this? It causes extra work and more importantly like you said you then can't use the native Email and you miss out on the advantages of it. If you just turn off Push on the Native email you get the advantages of Bridge And the advantages of Native. It's Win Win with no downside.
    02-24-12 02:45 AM
    I love this in the forum, seeing different views of likes and dislikes. For example I love the notifications and prefer it that way. Never would have thought someone may like them off. Although I have turned off the email in the bridge in order to not get two of the same on the Playbook and rely primarily on the new native.
    02-24-12 02:49 AM
    The reason it is greyed out is because you havent turned Push off. Do that and it'll work.
    Yeah...just realized it 15 secs ago!!
    02-24-12 02:52 AM
    I just turn the volume on notifications down to zero. Then I sleep.
    kbz1960 and rcm1301 like this.
    02-24-12 05:24 AM
    Do you mind if I ask why you do this? It causes extra work and more importantly like you said you then can't use the native Email and you miss out on the advantages of it. If you just turn off Push on the Native email you get the advantages of Bridge And the advantages of Native. It's Win Win with no downside.
    Many reasons.. First you don't need to sync an additional device.. Pb here.. Bridge is instant.. I manage mails primary fm my phone so can't be bothered to wait for sync..

Secondly the native mail is just filled with fancies I don't use at all..

Lastly this way my backup is handy.. All existing mails.. So I can check back a few months..

I get a lot of junk fm subscription so it's easier to get rid of it of the phone..
    02-24-12 05:28 AM
    Okay ... Colour me stupid but I don't have an "advanced" option in my accounts setting - nor a "push" option. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
    02-24-12 06:25 AM
    Okay ... Colour me stupid but I don't have an "advanced" option in my accounts setting - nor a "push" option. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
    It's within your account setup
    02-24-12 07:22 AM
    Hmmm..Still doesn't work right! I had replied earlier that - sure enough - I had not turned Push off for my second Gmail account and that I was now able to set it to 'manual' once I did that. Thought the issue was resolved. Nope!

Woke up this morning and the PB had downloaded my FIRST account's mail during the night! Even though the 2 accounts are both set to 'manual'. I can take a screen cap for those in doubt...but I can assure you BOTH are set to manual.

This is a PITA. I want to control when and if the PB retrieves mail. I don't need the same email on multiple devices simultaneously. I work in IT and my systems at times email me 100's of alerts and warnings. I don't want to have to go delete them off my PB when I've already read them off my desktop PC. The PB email client is for when I'm away from the office.

Hate to say it but this setup works perfectly fine on my *other* tablet and my iPhone : they get mail when I tell them to...

I did however add a Twitter account at that time. I cannot control the frequency it gets tweets so now I'm wondering if the addition of this account somehow causes the PB mail client to also go out and get my email regardless...
    02-24-12 08:14 AM
    Boy am I confused,sorry for the stupidity.
    I have several pop email accounts on the PB
    I have been running both bridge and native.
    I now am not sure what I should have my native set to do,I found if I turn off sync it removes the mail address from the mail folder on the PB.Also if I delete a email after opening it it deletes it from my live account therefore when I go to my desktop it is not in the in box.
    Someone needs to right a book on various setup ways with this new o's for us not so tech savvy folks
    I guess if I understand part of this is,if I turn off native mail completely and just use bridge I get the option how I want to delete the mail after reading it.
    02-24-12 08:41 AM
    Hello all, I am getting mad with this Native Email.... with 1.0 I was used to Bridge and get all accounts on my PB, fine. With 2.0 I was excited to have a local "replica" of my accounts (not emails themselves) so to use them on-demand (i.e. my BB out of service or any other backup options you may think of); NO WAY. There is no way to DISABLE/ON-OFF the Native Email Client that continues to run in background, ruining your battery life for doing nothing. I've read your posts and let me say that also putting all OFF it continues to receive emails ! I discovered that it turns the OFF to ON by itself !
    It would be simple to just add a ON/OFF on the account(s) so to let them sleep until ME want it to come to life.
    This would able a twofold advante:
    - battery life
    - no annying notification for something that, when I am bridging, just duplicate emails

I hope this is a bug and will be solved, for now I have cancelled all of my Native accounts and will Bridge

Ciao
    Gianni
    02-24-12 11:00 AM
    I also want to turn off the automatic push of email to my PB, I rely on my BB9700 for that. I only setup the email account on the PB to be ready for when I need to bang out an email and its not worth connecting the bridge.

In the account>setup for my email account I do not see 'advanced' or 'push' selections. I see a drop down for "sync interval" which I have set to "manual", but email still comes in automagically.
    06-01-12 04:08 PM
    Turn your bloody sound off before going to bed!!!!
    06-01-12 04:18 PM
    Turn your bloody sound off before going to bed!!!!
    Such a simple solution. Also different strokes for different folks but I don't know why anyone with a bb would want both bridge and native doing the same accounts or going thru the hoops to get native synced. Just use bridged email for the bb addresses.
    06-01-12 04:39 PM
    I, also, want the ability to turn on/off Native email. As I've written before, my bb phone BIS account is filtered. So it does not get all of my, say, Gmail, or CIS mail. It gets selective emails from people in my filters. But there are those times, if I'm away, that I would like to get or see all of the email from those accounts UNfiltered. It would be handy to be able to create a Native email account but shut if off till I want it and not have to add it. The cis account is not as straightforward as others.
    06-01-12 05:12 PM
    I, also, want the ability to turn on/off Native email. As I've written before, my bb phone BIS account is filtered. So it does not get all of my, say, Gmail, or CIS mail. It gets selective emails from people in my filters. But there are those times, if I'm away, that I would like to get or see all of the email from those accounts UNfiltered. It would be handy to be able to create a Native email account but shut if off till I want it and not have to add it. The cis account is not as straightforward as others.
    I've got a rather simple solution here, with the Dev Beta of 2.1.0.560, the "manual sync" bug was fixed. So I'd say update to that OS version, and go into your account from the settings by swiping down, then now you can keep it in manual and keep push off. This way you can still use the native client, get all those emails unfiltered, no alerts, and you choose when you want it to sync. As well as no more battery drain issues because manual sync doesn't keep a constant network connection with the email server like in PlayBook OS 2.0 and 2.0.1.358
    06-01-12 05:17 PM
    Such a simple solution. Also different strokes for different folks but I don't know why anyone with a bb would want both bridge and native doing the same accounts or going thru the hoops to get native synced. Just use bridged email for the bb addresses.
    In my case I want the same accounts because sometimes I am on the Playbook and I just want to fire off an email without turning on bluetooth on the BB700, turning on bluetooth on the PB, starting the bridge.. What I want (and the reason for my original post), is for my PB email account to NOT automatically get (pushed) email. I do not see the "advanced' or "push on/off" settings in my account settings on the PB.

I see in the previous post that there may be a "manual sync" bug in the currently-released PB OS. So maybe that's my problem, it's just a bug!
    06-01-12 05:36 PM
    In my case I want the same accounts because sometimes I am on the Playbook and I just want to fire off an email without turning on bluetooth on the BB700, turning on bluetooth on the PB, starting the bridge.. What I want (and the reason for my original post), is for my PB email account to NOT automatically get (pushed) email. I do not see the "advanced' or "push on/off" settings in my account settings on the PB.

I see in the previous post that there may be a "manual sync" bug in the currently-released PB OS. So maybe that's my problem, it's just a bug!
    Understand. Different strokes. Is it an exchange account? If not I'm not sure there is a push selection.
    06-01-12 05:39 PM
    Understand. Different strokes. Is it an exchange account? If not I'm not sure there is a push selection.
    It's just a POP account. I'm betting that I'm seeing a "manual sync" bug.
    06-01-12 05:45 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD