I just saw this in pb appworld, I think RIM is working on transparent apps between pb and bb phones
    07-11-12 01:23 AM
    Yeah I saw that.. Kinda disappointed when I read that it wasn't compatible with the device..
    07-11-12 01:31 AM
    Just curious, why would you need a app for Tunein. I have saved the bookmark to the home screen and it works great. When the browser opens the black bar at the top has all of the options the app for my 9700 has, plus you get the functionality of the rest of the page.
    07-11-12 01:47 AM
    I just saw this in pb appworld, I think RIM is working on transparent apps between pb and bb phones
    I spoke with the guys from TuneIn, and they informed me that there are currently NO ongoing work on a PlayBook version,... but no one could say anything about this app in AppWorld..

Can it be that someone just repacked the Android version and put it out there?

or perhaps it's just a mistake when TuneIn signed their last update for the Phone version.. You know how AppWorld can be confusion ..

just saying... so either a TuneIn mistake, OR - a fake upload of the Android version..

OR - the people I spoke to - are lying...
    07-11-12 09:36 AM
    This is just the kinda thing that frustrates the heck outta PB owners. Tunein is pretty awesome on BBs, why can't we get it on the PB?
    Graheem likes this.
    07-11-12 10:25 AM
    Just curious, why would you need a app for Tunein. I have saved the bookmark to the home screen and it works great. When the browser opens the black bar at the top has all of the options the app for my 9700 has, plus you get the functionality of the rest of the page.
    1. The app allows you to set a sleep timer so that you can fall asleep with the app and it will automatically shut itself off - the website does not.

2. The app allows you to set a wake up timer so that you can use it as an alarm clock and wake up to whatever radio station that you want to listen to - the website does not.

3. The app allows you to track which songs, artists, albums are being played and review these items after it has been played - the website does not.

4. The app allows you to search by songs (Pro Version) - the website does not.

5. The app allows you to share on facebook, twitter, and email directly from the app itself in a very simple interface - the website does not and/or is cumbersom.

6. The app (Pro Version) allows you to make recordings of the stations that you are listening to so that you could listen to these recordings later - the website does not.

7. The app allows you to query the current song - the website does not.

8. The app allows you to "shake for related" whereby you shake your device and get related content streams suggested to you - I dont use this but the website definately does not do this.

9. The app allows for push notification whereby you get notices of special events/artists/upcoming programs/etc that you may be interested in - you can find this on the website but it's a little more cumbersom to do so.

Your right that the browser does offer you to access TuneIN and I do use it alot. But seeing what the app, at least on iOS offers, I prefer using it there.
    07-11-12 10:44 AM
    ^^EXACTLY!
    Also I don't get why people need to ask why you need such N such an app like you HAVE To justify wanting a particular app! I luv tuneIN radio since I had it on my WP7...great app
    Graheem and kolok like this.
    07-11-12 01:12 PM
    Actually I believe you can. Instead of creating an entirely new listing, what vendors can do is they can add a fillebundle in the BlackBerry Vendor Portal to add compatibility for more devices.

This is already done for BlackBerry Smartphones. Depending on what apps you installed on your PlayBook, When you first got the PlayBook functional, if you were to check app world under the "Uninstalled" tab you would see some apps which are already listed, this apps were never installed on the PlayBook but they are compatible apps.
    07-11-12 01:18 PM
    This is just the kinda thing that frustrates the heck outta PB owners. Tunein is pretty awesome on BBs, why can't we get it on the PB?
    I think most major third party developers and content providers have given up on the playbook. RIM is showing little or no support for it anymore, a vast majority of features that should have been out by now arnt and at best we are still told "coming soon". Small updates increasing features on the device have stopped totally; at best we get a measily bug fix that .0001% of playbook owners even reported having an issue with so over a year past launch this device has changed unremarkably.

Now even small handheld gaming devices get skype while the worlds first "professional grade tablet" still doesn't have it or any other top tier apps. Developers will not write for a device they see as a dead end.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 07-11-12 at 01:38 PM.
    07-11-12 01:34 PM
    ^^EXACTLY!
    Also I don't get why people need to ask why you need such N such an app like you HAVE To justify wanting a particular app! I luv tuneIN radio since I had it on my WP7...great app
    Why people ask why, it may be as simple as they want to know. As I stated in my earlier post the the web site gives me every thing the app for my 9700 (os6) does. Now that Darlaten has answered my question, I can see why someone would want the app. The app l use doesn't do any of that, it's as simple as that.
    07-11-12 01:56 PM
    1. The app allows you to set a sleep timer so that you can fall asleep with the app and it will automatically shut itself off - the website does not.

2. The app allows you to set a wake up timer so that you can use it as an alarm clock and wake up to whatever radio station that you want to listen to - the website does not.

3. The app allows you to track which songs, artists, albums are being played and review these items after it has been played - the website does not.

4. The app allows you to search by songs (Pro Version) - the website does not.

5. The app allows you to share on facebook, twitter, and email directly from the app itself in a very simple interface - the website does not and/or is cumbersom.

6. The app (Pro Version) allows you to make recordings of the stations that you are listening to so that you could listen to these recordings later - the website does not.

7. The app allows you to query the current song - the website does not.

8. The app allows you to "shake for related" whereby you shake your device and get related content streams suggested to you - I dont use this but the website definately does not do this.

9. The app allows for push notification whereby you get notices of special events/artists/upcoming programs/etc that you may be interested in - you can find this on the website but it's a little more cumbersom to do so.

Your right that the browser does offer you to access TuneIN and I do use it alot. But seeing what the app, at least on iOS offers, I prefer using it there.
    With the app, your list of presets also always shows the current song playing on the stations. Incredibly useful when you have a large list of presets. The Tunein Pro app is fantastic. The browser allows you to use Tunein, but does not compare to the app in any way.
    07-11-12 02:26 PM
    why people ask why, it may be as simple as they want to know.
    Not likely.

People are getting a hair trigger in here because when they are asked "why" it is usually followed by the statement that the feature sought after is, in their opinion, unnecessary anblet shouldn't have that feature incorporated.

Its the most asinine, innane Thing I have seen posted in these forums outside "scheduled not promised"
    07-11-12 02:46 PM
    I can see all of my phone apps in App World on my Playbook all of my playbook apps on my phone. On your phone if you go into App World and select My World and then select 'Other Devices' from the dropdown on the top, you'll see all of your Playbook apps (which are not compatible with your phone).
    07-11-12 02:48 PM
    Not likely.

People are getting a hair trigger in here because when they are asked "why" it is usually followed by the statement that the feature sought after is, in their opinion, unnecessary anblet shouldn't have that feature incorporated.

Its the most asinine, innane Thing I have seen posted in these forums outside "scheduled not promised"
    exactly! couldn't have said it better myself
    07-11-12 04:03 PM
    Not likely.

It's surprising to see any app thread go this long on here without what you mention happening lol.
    towatai likes this.
    07-11-12 04:08 PM
    Not likely.

It maybe asinine in your opinion but until I ask the question I had no idea there was a Tunein Pro. My son loaded Tunein on my phone about 2 years ago so I never searched for it in app world. Since the reply I have loaded it on my phone. The thumbnail in the Op's original post is of the standard app which I did have. IMOP the standard app is unnecessary because it doesn't do anything the browser wouldn't and just uses up memory. So why would I want a developer to spend hours or days on an app they that will show them little gain with since most people won't pay for something they can get for free. That being said if they come out with Pro version for the PB I will buy it too. I was under the impression the purpose of these forums are to transfer information. While I agree some or maybe even most "why" questions may be cynical, if answered may help someone else.
    07-11-12 06:21 PM
    It maybe asinine in your opinion but until I ask the question I had no idea there was a Tunein Pro. My son loaded Tunein on my phone about 2 years ago so I never searched for it in app world. Since the reply I have loaded it on my phone. The thumbnail in the Op's original post is of the standard app which I did have. IMOP the standard app is unnecessary because it doesn't do anything the browser wouldn't and just uses up memory. So why would I want a developer to spend hours or days on an app they that will show them little gain with since most people won't pay for something they can get for free. That being said if they come out with Pro version for the PB I will buy it too. I was under the impression the purpose of these forums are to transfer information. While I agree some or maybe even most "why" questions may be cynical, if answered may help someone else.
    There have been several threads in the past that no matter how well it's explained that the apps have some missing features, or a better UI than the browser version, people still take crap for suggesting an app is 'needed'. So I don't think he meant any personal insult to you. He was only pointing out why people are sensitive. I'll admit, when I saw your question it was my first reaction too lol.
    TNNurse likes this.
    07-11-12 06:54 PM
    There have been several threads in the past that no matter how well it's explained that the apps have some missing features, or a better UI than the browser version, people still take crap for suggesting an app is 'needed'. So I don't think he meant any personal insult to you. He was only pointing out why people are sensitive. I'll admit, when I saw your question it was my first reaction too lol.
    Like I said earlier when I first posted I didn't realize there was a Pro version. When I first got my PB I couldn't use the Tunein website and there is no app. I love Tunein on my phone, so I emailed them asking for them to develop one. The response I got about a week later was they weren't currently developing an app for the PB but they had just recently made some changes to the website so it should work with the PB. She also wrote me that they did have plans to support future BB phones. So, yes if an app supplies more features, UI or service otherwise not provided I'm all for it. Not knowing there was a Pro version though, one of the reasons for my original post was to inform people that Tunein does work in the browser now.
    07-11-12 08:38 PM
    Like I said earlier when I first posted I didn't realize there was a Pro version. When I first got my PB I couldn't use the Tunein website and there is no app. I love Tunein on my phone, so I emailed them asking for them to develop one. The response I got about a week later was they weren't currently developing an app for the PB but they had just recently made some changes to the website so it should work with the PB. She also wrote me that they did have plans to support future BB phones. So, yes if an app supplies more features, UI or service otherwise not provided I'm all for it. Not knowing there was a Pro version though, one of the reasons for my original post was to inform people that Tunein does work in the browser now.
    Ya, and that's a polite way to do it. It's just that there have been a lot of debates on here, so people get 'jumpy'. There is a contingent of users who will insist that apps aren't needed or that the browser is just as good even if they have never used the app before to compare. In fact, a huge percentage of 'so and so app is not available' threads end up going that way. So people just expect the worst.
    07-12-12 04:10 AM
    Hi all!

TuneIn does not at this time have a Playbook application. We went and searched and we too see it showing up in the store under Playbook applications. If you click on the link, you are lead to the following page (see attachment) which says that it is not compatible with the Playbook (even though when I got to it I was searching for Playbook only applications). We'll let our contact at Blackberry know about this error. Thanks for pointing it out to us.
    07-13-12 06:00 PM
    Such a shame this isn't for the Playbook.

I want to stream Slay Radio on my PB. The website won't work. TuneIn isn't actually available, Retro Radio won't play the stream. The one app I can use, Nobex, they're too greedy for me to ever consider giving them money. ($10? Dream on.)
    07-13-12 06:37 PM
    cant we use the sideloaded android app??

EDIT: DOESNT WORK. use winamp instead
    Last edited by stormplaybookuser; 07-23-12 at 12:59 PM.
    07-23-12 12:55 PM
    I don't understand why TuneIn doesn't release an App for Playbook.

Pandora already has an App that runs on QNX. See this video at 15:13 minutes

It shows both Pandora and TuneIn running on the same OS as Playbook. That's actually a playbook inside the dashboard.
    12-03-12 12:42 AM
    App or not, I'm sure happy I opened this thread, because I didn't know about TuneIn at all.
    There are a few radio stations that I couldn't get to work straight from the browser, because they require pop up windows for their player or use silverlight (why, oh why?!!!). But with the TuneIn web page, I can now listen to all of them. Thanks !
    12-05-12 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD