I say remove it then there is less chance of me swearing behind you to hurry up if TSA asks you to remove it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jpg likes this.
    05-16-11 11:11 PM
    i came through Newark on Friday - they made me take out my Nook Color, PlayBook, kodak HD sport camera, and asked if i had an iPod (which i didn't).

Depends on the airport you go through.
    05-17-11 12:46 AM
    Apologies for bumping such an old thread, but I figured it would make more sense to bring this thread back up instead of starting a new one on pretty much the same topic.

Are folks still being forced to remove their PlayBooks at security checkpoints by the TSA or is this something that varies from airport to airport? I've got a trip coming up in a few weeks and it will be the first time I've traveled with my PlayBook (I've previously traveled with a netbook and early on I had to take it out of the sleeve but later could leave it in the sleeve and take it out of my bag.).

If you have to go through the Atlanta Airport security take it out of they will have your bags rescanned. I know first hand as I fly out of there weekly (home airport) and those TSA agents don't care one way or another.

The worst part of any trip I take is the flight out of ATL. The TSA screeners there suck and are the worse ones I've dealt with. I've had to deal with them as a passenger and as an employee of a vendor that worked at the airport. I got yelled at one trip because I didn't take my netbook out of my bag (I misunderstood the policy, which was no reason to yell at me.) when going through security at ATL.
    11-17-11 02:08 PM
    it's about 50/50 for me in terms of requests to remove it when flying in the U.S.

I travel a lot, and quite often TSA asks me to take the PlayBook out. They also ask me to take out our portable DVD player when traveling with the kids.
    11-17-11 02:18 PM
    The TSA has established that since QNX is powerful enough to run airplanes and is the same OS used by the Playbook, it's a security issue and all PBs need to be handled because a hijacker could plug in a HDMI cable to the airiplane and hijack it and fly off to a warmer destination. That's why they are a security threat and need to be checked 100% of the time.

I just made that up.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-17-11 02:59 PM
    I've now flown two full round-trips with it and left it in my backpack along with (seriously), bb phone, tomtom gps, garmin hiking gps, camera, over-the-ear-noise cancelling headphones, extra batteries, chargers, wires and cigarette lighter adapter (turns wall socket into lighter socket). Oh, I forgot the Kindle!!! My hip gets more attention (think Penn State!!!! - yikes)
    11-17-11 03:04 PM
    I asked the TSA agents on my last trip through security if I needed to take it out and he said No. That was through Oakland and Burbank. It's a moot point for me because I would have it out anyway, using it in line.

One of the agents asked me if it got native email yet...

The thing they were very concerned over, since it was more than 6 inches, was one of these:

Seriously!?! It's not exactly a weapon-like 6 inch screwdriver. Besides, there's longer objects in every carry-on with an extending handle...

Pointy Objects Patrol
    11-17-11 04:01 PM
    It doesn't have to be taken out? Phew. And here I thought my PlayBook was subject to TSA fondling like my testicles.

Good to know some things are still sacred
    OniBerry likes this.
    11-17-11 04:41 PM
    What difference does it make whether one person or 1000 people make it through without being asked? If they decide that they want to "see it" they are going to see it. lol
    11-17-11 05:59 PM
    I've flown four times in the last two weeks and have left my PB in the bag each time without issue.

11-17-11 06:04 PM
    I asked the TSA agents on my last trip through security if I needed to take it out and he said No. That was through Oakland and Burbank. It's a moot point for me because I would have it out anyway, using it in line.

One of the agents asked me if it got native email yet...

The thing they were very concerned over, since it was more than 6 inches, was one of these:

Click to view quoted image

Seriously!?! It's not exactly a weapon-like 6 inch screwdriver. Besides, there's longer objects in every carry-on with an extending handle...

Pointy Objects Patrol
    Going to undo the bolts on the cockpit door, were you?
    11-17-11 06:56 PM
    TSA in Pittsburgh told me to not remove it. no need and it was also a liability thing because so many tablets were disappearing. San Diego and Newark both did not ask for it either yet Newark scanned my Kindle. Go figure.
    11-17-11 08:06 PM
    I've always taken my netbook and Playbook out of my backpack, but left them in their slip cases. No problems. On my last trip, the TSA guy saw the Blackberry logo on the case and asked if it was a Playbook. I said yes and he asked me if I liked it. Pretty cool.
    11-17-11 08:12 PM
    So I have flown 60+ times with mine and it really depends on the tsa person. Some have told me yes, some have told me no. One time I left it in and it went through and they had to take it out and re run the bag. They told me that I had to treat it like a laptop... Since then I take it out...

PG
    11-18-11 11:02 AM
    So I have flown 60+ times with mine and it really depends on the tsa person. Some have told me yes, some have told me no. One time I left it in and it went through and they had to take it out and re run the bag. They told me that I had to treat it like a laptop... Since then I take it out...

PG
    I guess the lack of consistency keeps us on our toes - bare toes! No ones even mentioned it on my much fewer flights. They did discover my 40 year old swiss army knife (sigh) and its gone.
    11-18-11 12:59 PM
    I guess the lack of consistency keeps us on our toes - bare toes! No ones even mentioned it on my much fewer flights. They did discover my 40 year old swiss army knife (sigh) and its gone.
    Almost got through with my pocket knife/cork screw also (I'm a wine drinker.)
    Dude even reminded me to take my belt off before walking through the metal detector.
    Despite publishing the "dos' and don'ts" its at the agent's discretion.
    I learned to take everything out, because I have nothing to hide.
    For those not wanting the agent's to fondle their PB. They never physically touch your belongings anyways (at least not in my experience)
    11-18-11 02:23 PM
    While I see that more recent experiences show that folks are not being required to remove it from their bag, you never really know until you get in line. I will keep it in my bag unless they specifically state to remove tablets from your bag. I would expect to have to remove it at my home airport, ATL, because everytime I had any situation involving the TSA screeners, it's been there. I wish all TSA screeners were like the ones at LAS (at least the ones that work the D-Gates checkpoint), as they are courteous, friendly, and the only time I've seen them yell is to get folks to move down to some of the other checkpoint positions.
    11-18-11 02:33 PM
    I fly 4 - 6 times a month and since April it has always stayed in my briefcase going through security. Never been a problem.
    11-18-11 05:17 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD