I have to start this by saying I know I can choose what I like, just feel like sharing experience of the past few months and hearing what other people have to say.

I had a BB phone supplied by work and hated it - it has been in a drawer from new and I bought an iphone instead. I have now had a Playbook since April, liked it but got a bit bored of keyboard lag, apps closing by themselves etc and picked up a Nexus 7 this week.

By all accounts it is vastly superior and I should junk the Playbook. But it just isn't. Let me share what I learned so far.

It 's good to be able to download all those great android apps. Except there aren't many that work well on a tablet.
    Great 4 core processor but still lags switching between apps. It's like they are stuck for a second when switching between them
    Why does the Playbook screen show more of a webpage despite lower resolution? The bottom navigation bar on Android doesn't help.
    Web pages load more quickly on Android but I spend more time reading them than loading them anyway. Lots of pages I use still use Flash. To get this to work I downloaded Flash, a beta version of Firefox and then some other thing so I can call on Firefox to make it work from Chrome. Then remember reading not to run it full screen or switch to another app. Phew.

Just done a few things and the app list has allsorts running.

Nexus screen is washed out and sound is tinny. Expansion with USB works okay. You can find apps and workarounds for most issues on Android, I end up feeling like I'm managing a full laptop. Addins, widgets, lots of similar apps doing similar things flakily covering up the fact it's not been thought out.

The Playbook is slower, bulkier, heavier and I just don't know what I like about it so much but I think the Nexus is going on ebay and I'll live with the Playbook's remaining faults. I just pick it up and use it.

Somebody needs to make an honest YouTube video exposing the truth - for browsing, Flash and media the Playbook is easier than the competition.
    FF22, DC506, bungaboy and 6 others like this.
    10-06-12 03:15 PM
    I will share my quick Nexus 7 story. A group of us get together for breakfast once a month. Last weekend one brought her new Nexus7 tablet. She was exasperated that she could not move around the icons on the "home screen." I was sure that it could be done and tried everything. I guess we realized that they stay Alphabetical. I was also hoping we/she could group them in folders - she wanted all her games in one place. I would guess there are workarounds for this but she was not happy with it and ran into other issues. The reason she purchased it was for a genealogy program for it and liked that.
    10-06-12 03:56 PM
    I will share my quick Nexus 7 story. A group of us get together for breakfast once a month. Last weekend one brought her new Nexus7 tablet. She was exasperated that she could not move around the icons on the "home screen." I was sure that it could be done and tried everything. I guess we realized that they stay Alphabetical. I was also hoping we/she could group them in folders - she wanted all her games in one place. I would guess there are workarounds for this but she was not happy with it and ran into other issues. The reason she purchased it was for a genealogy program for it and liked that.
    Not sure what you are refering to. I have both a PB and Nexus 7. I have no issues moving around my icons on my home screen. I have all my games in a folder on my home screen.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-06-12 04:15 PM
    I think you mean in the App Drawer which you can't really control. It's like the list of whereall your installed apps. You can drag icons from here to any of four home screens but they also stay in the app drawer you dragged then from. The four home screens can also contain widgets which are like a preview of bits from an app. Sort of. You can drag icons on top of each other to make folders.
    10-06-12 04:31 PM
    Haha wow. The PlayBook is good but the nexus 7 is a great device. It's very responsive and lots of needed apps are in it. I love the screen and downloaded screen filter to use it at night. The apps can pretty much move around all you have to do is unlock the desktop by tapping the screen twice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    10-06-12 04:33 PM
    I have to start this by saying I know I can choose what I like, just feel like sharing experience of the past few months and hearing what other people have to say.

I had a BB phone supplied by work and hated it - it has been in a drawer from new and I bought an iphone instead. I have now had a Playbook since April, liked it but got a bit bored of keyboard lag, apps closing by themselves etc and picked up a Nexus 7 this week.

By all accounts it is vastly superior and I should junk the Playbook. But it just isn't. Let me share what I learned so far.

It 's good to be able to download all those great android apps. Except there aren't many that work well on a tablet.
    Great 4 core processor but still lags switching between apps. It's like they are stuck for a second when switching between them
    Why does the Playbook screen show more of a webpage despite lower resolution? The bottom navigation bar on Android doesn't help.
    Web pages load more quickly on Android but I spend more time reading them than loading them anyway. Lots of pages I use still use Flash. To get this to work I downloaded Flash, a beta version of Firefox and then some other thing so I can call on Firefox to make it work from Chrome. Then remember reading not to run it full screen or switch to another app. Phew.

Just done a few things and the app list has allsorts running.

Nexus screen is washed out and sound is tinny. Expansion with USB works okay. You can find apps and workarounds for most issues on Android, I end up feeling like I'm managing a full laptop. Addins, widgets, lots of similar apps doing similar things flakily covering up the fact it's not been thought out.

The Playbook is slower, bulkier, heavier and I just don't know what I like about it so much but I think the Nexus is going on ebay and I'll live with the Playbook's remaining faults. I just pick it up and use it.

Somebody needs to make an honest YouTube video exposing the truth - for browsing, Flash and media the Playbook is easier than the competition.

I own a Playbook and a Nexus 7 (and an iPad 2 and a Touchpad). Just a quick response to a couple of your points:

"It 's good to be able to download all those great android apps. Except there aren't many that work well on a tablet."
    I have no idea what you mean by that. ALL of them work perfectly on the Nexus. Unlike on the iPad where phone apps just show in a small box in the centre of the screen, ALL Android apps work on the Nexus.

"Great 4 core processor but still lags switching between apps. It's like they are stuck for a second when switching between them"
    I have Never had this issue at all. Not at all. The nexus is undoubtably faster than the PB or iPad. There is really no comparison.

"Why does the Playbook screen show more of a webpage despite lower resolution? The bottom navigation bar on Android doesn't help."
    Agreed, it's not just the bottom bar, even more so it is the top bar and the tab bar, so you end up getting a lot more on the PB screen. However because of the significantly lower resolution of the PB you have to zoom in a lot more so you end up actually getting a lot Less on the screen than on a Nexus.

"Web pages load more quickly on Android but I spend more time reading them than loading them anyway. Lots of pages I use still use Flash."
    Agreed completely. Android dumping flash was a bad move. The PB has a better browser simply because of Flash. It's not a lot that I use flash but when I need it I really miss it on Android.

"Nexus screen is washed out and sound is tinny."
    There is no comparison the Nexus' screen is Way Way better. If you disagree there is something wrong with your Nexus. I agree about the sound though, PB has much better sound in every way.

"You can find apps and workarounds for most issues on Android, I end up feeling like I'm managing a full laptop. Addins, widgets, lots of similar apps doing similar things flakily covering up the fact it's not been thought out."
    I don't even know what this is refering to so I can't reply. Android in general and the Nexus is particular is very well thought out. Maybe you are just having dificulty adjusting to a different way of doing things? (the same was Android users complain that the PB isn't well thought out).

Anyways this sounds like I am saying I think the Nexus/Android is better. That is not the case. A PB with a higher resultion screen and better quality apps (not more apps) would be excellent.
    10-06-12 04:37 PM
    I had similar impressions when i picked up Samsung Galaxy Tab +. So after a week i just returned it back to the store. i like playbook better. Apps will run on the tablet but look like crap because they are designed for a phone.
    10-06-12 04:39 PM
    I think you mean in the App Drawer which you can't really control. It's like the list of whereall your installed apps. You can drag icons from here to any of four home screens but they also stay in the app drawer you dragged then from. The four home screens can also contain widgets which are like a preview of bits from an app. Sort of. You can drag icons on top of each other to make folders.
    Ya I think you are right that's what they meant, but they did say the homescreen. The homescreen is super customizable, so their complaint about that was simply not applicable.

And in regards to the app drawer, there are lots of very simple solutions for that. Simply install a new launcher that allows you to change the order. I can suggest a few if you would like.
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    10-06-12 04:41 PM
    @OP - Nice honest post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-06-12 04:46 PM
    op, kinda supports what I've said in many threads on cb about my long period of using, and working as an android dev. overall, whilst android is a good os it remains pretty laggy, buggy, memory hungry, and pretty rubbish at multi tasking.

imo the android market has gone too far now with the number of apps. whilst we would love more pb apps, and free quality ones to boot, for every need there's 100 apps kn playstore, each with conflicting reviews, many of which are unecessary or actually harmful, thru aspects such as silent autostart, information mapping etc. a gooe honest review whichis much appreciated.
    10-06-12 04:54 PM
    Wow D Mac very thorough response.

Let me respond:

In terms of apps, I meant they are generally big phone apps not suited to a tablet screen, So coming from PlayBook and expecting loads of new fancy tablet apps is a bit disappointing.

In terms of raw speed (within an app) or loading a Web Page, the Nexus is faster. When I switch between apps, however, on Nexus they seem to stop and then restart. Hard to describe but I do prefer the feel on PB where all the apps behave like they are running.

I have given the interface a few days, I don't think it works for me. My laptop is complicated and flexible with lots of options and ways of doing things. I don't want to think so much for when using a tablet - it needs to be simpler.

Thanks again

I'm not understanding why I can read a Web page better on PB than Nexus. I can see more of the page even though the resolution is poorer. You might be right about the screen but it's the colours that seem wrong to me.
    10-06-12 04:57 PM
    There's a lot to like in the Nexus 7. Great screen, great app availability and decent performance. I think the Playbook FEELS better as a device and has a MUCH better UI model (though people who like to customize their home screen beg to differ on that; I'll admit I like the widgets in Android).

I think BB10 will do a lot to make even the current Playbook more attractive, and the word is we're going to see new hardware... Someday...
    10-06-12 05:18 PM
    I have no idea what you mean by that. ALL of them work perfectly on the Nexus. Unlike on the iPad where phone apps just show in a small box in the centre of the screen, ALL Android apps work on the Nexus.
    No way you've downloaded all 600,000 apps. Some of them look quite crappy on the Nexus 7 even if there isn't a letterboxing issue.

I have Never had this issue at all. Not at all. The nexus is undoubtably faster than the PB or iPad. There is really no comparison.
    The Tegra 3 is a known crap processor, that's how they were able to get it for so cheap in the Nexus 7. The OMAP4 used by the PB is a better processor, and PBOS is more efficient than Android. You think that it's faster than the PB and the iPad because you think 4 cores should make it faster, but that's not the case.

Agreed completely. Android dumping flash was a bad move. The PB has a better browser simply because of Flash. It's not a lot that I use flash but when I need it I really miss it on Android.
    Long term, Android dumping flash is great. Flash is one of the worst things on the web, and even moreso on a tablet because flash still uses mouseover. Dumping flash on Android means in time over 80% of mobile devices won't support flash, and web pages will have to ditch it. That's great. Flash is what makes using the PB frustrating, I have it turned off the vast majority of the time.

There is no comparison the Nexus' screen is Way Way better. If you disagree there is something wrong with your Nexus.
    No, you just don't know what you're talking about. It's been objectively tested, the Nexus 7 screen is low quality.
    10-06-12 05:33 PM
    No way you've downloaded all 600,000 apps. Some of them look quite crappy on the Nexus 7 even if there isn't a letterboxing issue.

The Tegra 3 is a known crap processor, that's how they were able to get it for so cheap in the Nexus 7. The OMAP4 used by the PB is a better processor, and PBOS is more efficient than Android. You think that it's faster than the PB and the iPad because you think 4 cores should make it faster, but that's not the case.

Long term, Android dumping flash is great. Flash is one of the worst things on the web, and even moreso on a tablet because flash still uses mouseover. Dumping flash on Android means in time over 80% of mobile devices won't support flash, and web pages will have to ditch it. That's great. Flash is what makes using the PB frustrating, I have it turned off the vast majority of the time.

No, you just don't know what you're talking about. It's been objectively tested, the Nexus 7 screen is low quality.
    Reply by paragraph:

Like what? Name one. Bottom line having apps designed for a slightly smaller screen is still infinitely better than not having the apps at all.

Don't tell me why I think something. You are wrong. I have 4 tablets and 20+ phones. I know very well that the number of cores us largely irrelevant when it comes to real world performance. But the fact of the matter is the Nexus Does perform better than the PB. Even the OP agreed, he was just talking about task switching.

Agreed that Long Term dumping flash was a good thing. I just feel that it was too soon. There is still a Lot of flash enabled websites. Yes this will force webdesigners to fix their sites sooner but it doesn't help us the users right now.

Lol yes I do. Clearly you are the one that doesn't. I never said the Nexus was high quality. I said it was better than the PBs. There is really no comparison. First and foremost it comes down to PPI. brightness and colour contrast are only relevant once you reach a minimum PPI. And for a tablet that is Minimum 200. These comparisons you are speaking of are comparing the Nexus' screen to other current devices, not to the ancient (in tech terms) screen on the PB.

Have you even used both devices side by side? Your comments really make it sound like you haven't and you've just been reading web reviews.
    10-06-12 07:54 PM
    I had the Nexus 7, and it truly was redic fast. I have an Android phone so I knew what to expect OS and app wise, and they were amazimg as well. What led me to trade that tablet for my 64GB Playbook, was that it only had 16GB of storage.

Now, like I said, that's what led me to the PB. What's keeping me here is the interface, stability, ease-of-use, and all around good time I'm having with it. I mean, even the hardware itself keeps amazing me. Just last night I decided to play some music, and was amazed by the quality, and volume I could get out of the PB. I almost feel sorry for the guy that traded with me, like I ripped him off or something lol

Jay
    10-06-12 07:55 PM

Reply by paragraph:

Like what? Name one. Bottom line having apps designed for a slightly smaller screen is still infinitely better than not having the apps at all.

Don't tell me why I think something. You are wrong. I have 4 tablets and 20+ phones. I know very well that the number of cores us largely irrelevant when it comes to real world performance. But the fact of the matter is the Nexus Does perform better than the PB. Even the OP agreed, he was just talking about task switching.

Agreed that Long Term dumping flash was a good thing. I just feel that it was too soon. There is still a Lot of flash enabled websites. Yes this will force webdesigners to fix their sites sooner but it doesn't help us the users right now.

Lol yes I do. Clearly you are the one that doesn't. I never said the Nexus was high quality. I said it was better than the PBs. There is really no comparison. First and foremost it comes down to PPI. brightness and colour contrast are only relevant once you reach a minimum PPI. And for a tablet that is Minimum 200. These comparisons you are speaking of are comparing the Nexus' screen to other current devices, not to the ancient (in tech terms) screen on the PB.

Have you even used both devices side by side? Your comments really make it sound like you haven't and you've just been reading web reviews.
    10-06-12 07:55 PM
    I have a Nexus 7 as well as a Playbook.

To be honest I don't care much for the Nexus 7. I will keep it to tinker with and learn from as I only paid $183.10 plus tax.

I don't use my Aconia A500 much either.

The playbook serves my purpose so it will remain my main tablet.
    10-06-12 08:06 PM
    I have to agree with a lot said in this thread. I actually went to buy a Nexus 7 when they came out. Played with it in the store, and just realized how much I could do with my Playbook for what I paid for it - even without 600k of apps out there. I. I'm not going to knock the N7, because it seemed like a nice device and if I didn't already have a BB phone that I'm happy with and the PB, I also realized how much I've gotten used to & enjoy the PB environment.
    10-06-12 08:11 PM
    Reply by paragraph:
    Speed Forge. Yes, it's better, but PB native apps are much higher quality than any Android app is on the Nexus 7.

I've got a Nexus 7 and PB side by side, and the Nexus 7 doesn't perform any better. Certain apps might give the Nexus 7 an advantage, but that's less the hardware and more that the app as been designed better in that case for the Nexus 7 than the PB.

Lol yes I do. Clearly you are the one that doesn't. I never said the Nexus was high quality. I said it was better than the PBs.
    And it's not, the only thing the Nexus 7 has is resolution and PPI count, but when it comes to glare, colour quality and the like, the PB is superior.

There is really no comparison. First and foremost it comes down to PPI.
    No it doesn't, you fell for Apple's marketing there.

brightness and colour contrast are only relevant once you reach a minimum PPI.
    Quite the opposite, brightness and colour contrast is the only thing that lets you use it outdoors and still be able to tell the difference between anything. This is especially important in the 7" class since it's actually portable.

And for a tablet that is Minimum 200.
    You picked that number arbitrarily, just like Apple picked the number arbitrarily for the 'retina' display. The PlayBook's resolution is fine, and the pixel density is fine. The pixel density is higher than the original iPad and nobody complained about the iPad's lack of pixel density before.
    These comparisons you are speaking of are comparing the Nexus' screen to other current devices, not to the ancient (in tech terms) screen on the PB.
    The PB STILL has a leg up on current devices for real world performance. It actually performs well under direct sunlight, other tablets still haven't pulled that off.

Yes, I have, I already posted a thread on it weeks ago.
    10-06-12 09:03 PM
    Wow this thread is fantastic, keep up the civil and open discussion.
    I have to say that the N7 tempted me a lot, but I like what someone else already posted: I don't need MORE apps on my PlayBook. I have all my needed apps, they just are nowhere near the quality of their android or ipad counterparts. That's what really kicks me, seeing my favourite app on the iPad doing a thousand things better than the same app on my playbook.

Back to the comparisons, I find the playbook much more comfortable to use in the UI. In android or ios i sometimes felt "trapped" in apps, hard to explain, but in the playbook I just swipe up and I'm back to my main screen AND can see all my open apps, no endless back buttons, no holding in a button to multitask, etc.. No other OS offers that simplistic view. How does Jelly Bean compare to PlayBook on that front, as I have yet to really dive into 4.1?
    10-06-12 09:24 PM
    Sorry, but the Nexus 7 pretty much tops the PB every way except sound. It boots quickly, does not lag on input, and the OS is finally mature.

And it fits in one hand and weighs less than my PB. Don't get me started on apps...

My PB feels like last year. My Nexus 7 feels like it is ready for 2013. The processor is definitely not "crap!"

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    10-06-12 11:02 PM
    The nexus is an awesome device and just cos you like the playbook doesn't mean you have to berate another device. Most of the apps that people use on the playbook especially navigation was sideloaded from android. If android was then don't use their apps. The playbook is good yes but it misses some essential apps like a good voip client, chat, skype and netflix. It has its positives like bridge, the browser, etc but its age is showing in terms of weight, keyboard, screen estate lack of usb otg etc. each have their positives and negatives.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-06-12 11:06 PM
    Speed Forge. Yes, it's better, but PB native apps are much higher quality than any Android app is on the Nexus 7.

I've got a Nexus 7 and PB side by side, and the Nexus 7 doesn't perform any better. Certain apps might give the Nexus 7 an advantage, but that's less the hardware and more that the app as been designed better in that case for the Nexus 7 than the PB.

And it's not, the only thing the Nexus 7 has is resolution and PPI count, but when it comes to glare, colour quality and the like, the PB is superior.

Quite the opposite, brightness and colour contrast is the only thing that lets you use it outdoors and still be able to tell the difference between anything. This is especially important in the 7" class since it's actually portable.

You picked that number arbitrarily, just like Apple picked the number arbitrarily for the 'retina' display. The PlayBook's resolution is fine, and the pixel density is fine. The pixel density is higher than the original iPad and nobody complained about the iPad's lack of pixel density before.

The PB STILL has a leg up on current devices for real world performance. It actually performs well under direct sunlight, other tablets still haven't pulled that off.

Yes, I have, I already posted a thread on it weeks ago.
    "Speed Forge. Yes, it's better, but PB native apps are much higher quality than any Android app is on the Nexus 7."
    Your opinion is that the native apps on the PB are better than those on the Nexus. That is your opinion only. You really find the Maps better on the PB? If anything it is a wash, or at best personal preference. I don't think anyone could make a compelling argument as to how the native apps are better on either one. So that being what it is, it comes down to add on apps, and as you have already conceded having a app designed for a slightly smaller screen is infinitely better than not having an app at all. That's really all there is to it. RIM seems to be doing everything right to correct this deficiency when it comes to BB10, but for now a PB user complaining about Anroid apps realy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

"I've got a Nexus 7 and PB side by side, and the Nexus 7 doesn't perform any better. Certain apps might give the Nexus 7 an advantage, but that's less the hardware and more that the app as been designed better in that case for the Nexus 7 than the PB."
    Who cares why it is? I'm not talking about hardware, I'm talking about user experience. So what if it is just better designed apps, it is still better for the user. And if you don't find that the Nexus performs any better based on the way you use it, then that's great. However there are many many people that will tell you that based on their usage the Nexus does perform noticably better (heck just read this thread if you need examples).

"And it's not, the only thing the Nexus 7 has is resolution and PPI count, but when it comes to glare, colour quality and the like, the PB is superior.

You picked that number arbitrarily, just like Apple picked the number arbitrarily for the 'retina' display. The PlayBook's resolution is fine, and the pixel density is fine. The pixel density is higher than the original iPad and nobody complained about the iPad's lack of pixel density before"

Why are you talking about Apple's marketing? I didn't fall for anything. I think having a minimum PPI is the most important metric for a screen because IT IS. Period. This has nothing to do with marketing. It is a fact. Look at small text on the PB and the Nexus side by side and then try to tell me the Nexus' screen isn't better. You will need to zoom in on the PB because fine details are simply not visible on low PPI screens. And since you keep bringing up Apple and the iPad: The Nexus' screen is inarguably better than the original iPad's screen. The only reason people didn't complain about the resolution on the iPad and on the iPhone when they were released is because for that time they were satisfactory. Tech changes quickly and they became dated and poor quality quickly. That is why they were both upgraded. Nobody releases tablets with that low PPI anymore.

"Yes, I have, I already posted a thread on it weeks ago"
    Good to hear. The way you talk about number of cores, processors, and screen tests instead of actual performance made you come across as fanboy with very little actual knowledge.
    10-06-12 11:46 PM
    Wow this thread is fantastic, keep up the civil and open discussion.
    I have to say that the N7 tempted me a lot, but I like what someone else already posted: I don't need MORE apps on my PlayBook. I have all my needed apps, they just are nowhere near the quality of their android or ipad counterparts. That's what really kicks me, seeing my favourite app on the iPad doing a thousand things better than the same app on my playbook.

Back to the comparisons, I find the playbook much more comfortable to use in the UI. In android or ios i sometimes felt "trapped" in apps, hard to explain, but in the playbook I just swipe up and I'm back to my main screen AND can see all my open apps, no endless back buttons, no holding in a button to multitask, etc.. No other OS offers that simplistic view. How does Jelly Bean compare to PlayBook on that front, as I have yet to really dive into 4.1?
    Stock JB is so much better than earlier versions of Android that it is almost like a different OS. Way quicker and smoother.

Swipe up from anywhere to launch Google Now (think Siri if you don't know what that is).

No more holding home to open the multitasking menu. It now has its own dedicated onscreen button (it replaced the menu button with the menu button only appearing in the corner when needed).

Overall much better, more fluid, and much better multitasking.

However it still doesn't come close to the exceptional multitasking on the Playbook.
    10-07-12 12:08 AM
    I own an HP Touchpad, a 64 GB Playbook and a Nexus 7. The HPTP has by far the best sound and some good apps but an abandoned somewhat creaky operating system although it does true multitasking. The PB has the back camera a pretty decent email system, the HDMI asset, a really nice and improving operating system with some irritations like the way pictures are handled. The N7 Jelly Bean is smooth and very customizable and there are lot of apps including Google maps. The email app is nowhere near as good as the PB or TP email. The screen on the N7 has somewhat different color rendering than the PB but both are good and it is a matter of preference. I can compare the Playbook demo running on both. The extra storage on the 64 GB PB compared to the 16 GB N7 may be an advantage for some but you should realize that with acouple of apps a flash drive attached to the N7 USB port can be used to access 64 GB of documents, music, movies etc. Some have even accessed large external hard drives. I'm still learning things about all three and don't think you can "play with one" for even a week and become a great expert on the devices although you might discover a deal breaker for you.
    10-07-12 01:11 AM
115 123 ...