I will be traveling through the airport next week with playbook so I was wondering if anyone has faced any difficulties. Is it the same process through screening as laptops? I will be traveling through Newark liberty international airport.
    11-10-12 08:06 AM
    Mostly I just pull it out and they look at it and pass you thru.
    11-10-12 08:12 AM
    Same here, haven't had any issues.
    rexrim likes this.
    11-10-12 08:42 AM
    Just treat it like any other electronic device (laptop, tablet...). I've had no issues so far.
    11-10-12 08:43 AM
    Just put it in the container along your keys, wallet, belt.
    11-10-12 08:46 AM
    never had an issue and have traveled in Canada and US airports with mine. You see 'em more in Canada obviously, but no one has ever questioned it in any I've been in
    11-10-12 08:53 AM
    I travel every week. You don't need to take tablets out of your bags. But if you prefer, just ask the people there....
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    11-10-12 09:14 AM
    In most European airports you DO have to take your PlayBook out of your bag, and put it in a separate container for scanning (along with your laptop, kindle, keys, coins, etc)

However, if your PlayBook is in a case (or sleeve) you don't need to take it out of this.... (eg my PlayBook case is a cheapie navitech flip stand faux leather one, and I just leave the PB in that, and put it in the container to go through the scanner)

When I first got my PB (early adopter) I got asked quite a few times to turn it on (to prove it was a working electronic device) and sometimes they also swabbed it to check for explosives residue... Haven't had my PB swabbed for over a year now (though they still swab my collapsible walking stick every time I fly!)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 11-10-12 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
    11-10-12 09:25 AM
    In the post above, my forum auto-signature is still showing my PB OS as 2....1032, yet I changed it some time ago to 2.1.0.1088 (and have just checked!)

Anybody else had this problem?

Do I need to update this auto-signature in two places?

Thanks in advance
    11-10-12 09:31 AM
    I was in Europe recently and I haven't encountered problems. At 5 airports, I was asked to take the PB out of my handbag and to put it in one of those plastic bins for screening - not really a major inconvenience for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    11-10-12 09:42 AM
    I've left it in my backpack with all kinds of wires and adapters and chargers and gps units and camera. Never asked to reveal it. My hip gets more scrutiny. But I'd make sure it was charged so you can demo it if necessary.
    Ben1232 and bcubedn like this.
    11-10-12 09:47 AM
    In most European airports you DO have to take your PlayBook out of your bag, and put it in a separate container for scanning (along with your laptop, kindle, keys, coins, etc)

However, if your PlayBook is in a case (or sleeve) you don't need to take it out of this.... (eg my PlayBook case is a cheapie navitech flip stand faux leather one, and I just leave the PB in that, and put it in the container to go through the scanner)

When I first got my PB (early adopter) I got asked quite a few times to turn it on (to prove it was a working electronic device) and sometimes they also swabbed it to check for explosives residue... Haven't had my PB swabbed for over a year now (though they still swab my collapsible walking stick every time I fly!)
    Off topic:

If you don't mind my asking - what material is your collapsible walking stick? And have you flown through the US with it? I ask because I recently purchased a very light weight set of hiking poles that fold and am hoping to get them on board without checking them. Carbon fiber and while they have interchangeable tips, they are currently equipped with rubber tips. I've got the HIP to possibly justify them!
    11-10-12 09:51 AM
    Ah, but thereby lies the problem. Whereas walking sticks are known for smuggling jewels, poison darts and machine guns a la James Bond, PlayBooks not so much LOL.
    11-10-12 10:30 AM
    I haven't had any problems either. I placed the PlayBook with other items in my carry on bag and no issues. It shouldn't be a problem.
    11-10-12 11:14 AM
    I am a frequent flyer in Europe and put my PB on the same tray as my laptop, because they will ask you to remove it if the scanner detects it in your bag.
    No need to remove it from its sleeve.

It's annoying when the security folks refer to all tablets as iPads.
    11-10-12 12:31 PM
    Just lay it on top of your laptop...or if not just take it out of your luggage ant put it in a bin.
    No big issue at all.
    11-10-12 12:37 PM
    Yes, just like ipads and all, they would like you to pull it out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-10-12 12:57 PM
    Came down to punta cana, DR today (from Toronto) and had no problem whatsoever.
    11-10-12 02:01 PM
    Never had an issue. Left it in my backpack with everything else. BTW: It's an awesome traveling companion! I downloaded movies and have a 3 way headphone connector. Me, my wife AND the guy sitting next to us watched a couple of good movies.
    11-10-12 02:44 PM
    I fly domestically (US) weekly and I have never taken it out of my briefcase (used to call it a computer bag, but I stopped carrying my computer!). Love the PB!
    11-10-12 05:32 PM
    Flew to Asia and southeast Asia, not a problem inside the carry on. It's not a laptop so I didn't have to put it separately for the scanner.
    11-10-12 11:59 PM
    Have never flown or gone thru a scanner with one, is it actually safe to go thru the scanner? on standby? off? I just imagine it getting fried, I dunno why lol. , my 9800 leather case with the magnet in it has done suff to my playbook when I put the 9800 on top of it (it somehow deleted all my saved wifi passwords and discon'ed me) Same goes for phones?
    11-11-12 02:00 AM
    No problems at all when I flew to San Diego a few months back. I put it into the tray at security and all they did was have me open the sleeve so that they could swab it.
    11-11-12 02:25 AM
    Ah, but thereby lies the problem. Whereas walking sticks are known for smuggling jewels, poison darts and machine guns a la James Bond, PlayBooks not so much LOL.
    That's owing to a paucity of apps.!!
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-11-12 03:49 AM
    Make it look like a ipod mini and you will be fine. If it looks like a RIM product they will treat you like a terrorist trying to board.
    dave1701 likes this.
    11-11-12 05:27 AM
36 12