Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Touchscreen not responding after applying skin

After receiving my invisible shield from bestskinsever.com and following the application instructions on Application | Best Skins Ever pretty much to a tee including the right measurements of liquid and soap and waiting over 24 hours to turn it on, but unfortunately my Playbook has essentially been bricked. The touchscreen no longer responds to touch, although using bridge and other BT devices will be able to control it. The entire device functions fine, so it is ONLY the touchscreen that has been nuked. Certain parts of the touchscreen still register/respond, but it is not enough to be usable. I've wiped the device and reloaded the OS and the problem still persists

I have owned the PB for a little over a year now and have no support eligibility from RIM. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on what I should do? Sell it as-is for parts on eBay? Buy a screen and attempt to install it in hopes that it may work? Bug RIM to send a replacement?

I like bestskinsever. Seems like a good, responsible company that is just interested in making affordable skins, and the quality is great, so I have no idea what went wrong. I'm not blaming their skin or product at all.. if anything it seems like a freak accident mixed with human error. Still, I don't know what process I messed up on other than possibly not using the right soap (they specified a liquid, non-abrasive soap which is exactly what I used).

Did you get liquid in the speaker ports?

Have you tried removing the skin and seeing if that fixes it. Maybe the type of soap does mess with the "electro-whatever" screen. Have you called Best Skin? I used their skin ages ago on my Creative Zen mp3 player - still looks new (when I blow the dust off)
    CrackBerry Abuser

From the OP's post, sounds like the skin was applied incorrectly as the skin manufacturer is not being faulted and some 'human error' is mentioned.
    Before selling it for parts on ebay, should try drying the PB out by removing the back cover. Drying out the interior parts may get it working properly again.
    Thanked by:
    svelt (12-15-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Is the unresponsiveness with both finger touch and with a stylus?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I don't have a stylus, so I can't comment on that. The skin has already been removed.

A bit of liquid did go into the speaker ports, but I believe it is almost expected to happen based on the instructions they gave - I've applied a skin before and did the same and the Playbook worked just fine afterwards. As well, it was off when the skin was applied and left off to dry for an additional 24-30 hours. I am noticing a very mild improvement in response after leaving it alone for a couple of days, so maybe I will wait it out first, but I will look into taking it apart and drying it out if it doesn't improve, didn't know it was so easy to take apart.

You could place it on top of a heat register or on a cooling rack (for cookies or cakes or bread) raised a bit off a register and allow gentle heat to blow across it. I don't really think that they intend for any moisture to enter the speaker ports when applying the skin even if it appears inevitable.

Good luck.
    Thanked by:
    svelt (12-18-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    You could place it on top of a heat register or on a cooling rack (for cookies or cakes or bread) raised a bit off a register and allow gentle heat to blow across it. I don't really think that they intend for any moisture to enter the speaker ports when applying the skin even if it appears inevitable.

Good luck.
    Well, I can hardly believe it, but this worked! Just put it on top of the heat vent for a few days, turned it on and everything was fine again. Good call. I might take a chance and apply the skin (I have two of them) again since my Playbook really needs it, but this time I might leave it off on top of the heat register for a week before touching it again.

That's why I now prefer the ones that use "static cling" or "vinyl adhesion" and do not use water or sticky substances. I won't want to be messing with liquids and electronics unnecessarily nor with gluey residue.