I charged my playbook for a GAME? I guess he didn't really promise anything, but when are they going to make good on their own marketing "Tools not Toys". I keep falling for it... Love my playbook, but C'mon!
    rdleeuw likes this.
    04-24-12 09:03 AM
    But of course...the announcement came from the head of gaming! However he should not of bothered to sound so hyped up for it. He should of just said a popular game will be arriving on the playbook.
    04-24-12 09:08 AM
    not a big game fan (PlayBook for work, and watching Tennis on ESPN3/ESPNGO while I'm working) but I do have a few games.

to be fair - the notice DID come from a RIM gaming leader . . . . doubt he would be the one to announce/tease productivity or major app or major features.
    malcerie and SnoozerBold like this.
    04-24-12 09:08 AM
    not a big game fan (PlayBook for work, and watching Tennis on ESPN3/ESPNGO while I'm working) but I do have a few games.

to be fair - the notice DID come from a RIM gaming leader . . . . doubt he would be the one to announce/tease productivity or major app or major features.
    Exactly. I'd have like a 'tool' and not a 'toy' but judging by who announced it and what was said I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could believe it was going to be anything else other than a game.
    04-24-12 09:22 AM
    Yes, to be fair it came from a gaming chief. There are crickets when it comes to new useful apps, tho, (from RIM - not talking about developers as I think they are doing their best) and having seen the slant RIM took with TOOLS not TOYS, I might be led to believe that would be RIM's focus.
    04-24-12 09:35 AM
    Look, we built this up, CB built and hyped this up. The director of gaming made one tweet about something he's excited about. What could that be? A GAME! RIM isn't at fault here, everyone else who hyped that tweet up is. If we want to lay blame about a let down, at least be honest about it, it wasn't RIM.
    modine, wellard, DocDRM and 12 others like this.
    04-24-12 09:45 AM
    It's true. I bought into the zealots' hype. I should know by now that most of the roller-coaster rides in here are brought on by ourselves. You know I'm by far not a RIM-basher, but I do wish they would release - in tandem - a game announcement, and a tool announcement on the same day to make a more balanced outcome.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    04-24-12 09:50 AM
    Since it came from the head of gaming, I had no other expectations than a GAME. And to be fair, it is a pretty fun game & looks beautiful on my pb (yes, I'm a sucker). That said, now I have to figure out where I left off in the pdf I was using last night because I forgot to write down the page I was on & we have no bookmarking capability so now it's scroll & search time.
    04-24-12 09:51 AM
    As rotorwrench mention in another thread, the positive in all this is a mainstream developer is bringing apps to the PB. I don't need many apps but I recognize others do and I see it as a good thing for the platform.
    04-24-12 09:55 AM
    It's true. I bought into the zealots' hype. I should know by now that most of the roller-coaster rides in here are brought on by ourselves. You know I'm by far not a RIM-basher, but I do wish they would release - in tandem - a game announcement, and a tool announcement on the same day to make a more balanced outcome.
    Hey, I'm with you I read the CB story before bed and started getting excited, but then I saw who made the tweet and the clouds started forming. It could only be a game, but I still held out hope it might be something else. When the speculation started about Angry Birds Space, my daughter goes "Way cool! Several million downloads in the first 3 minutes of release, and iOS/Android just got it too!". I was sunk then. My own fault.
    modine likes this.
    04-24-12 09:59 AM
    I like my little tool that has gaming chops as well. My PlayBook is like a Dremel tool. Endless possibilities.

That being said, I do love gaming on this little monster.
    04-24-12 09:59 AM
    I like my little tool that has gaming chops as well. My PlayBook is like a Dremel tool. Endless possibilities.

That being said, I do love gaming on this little monster.
    See, some are happy about games. I don't really do a lot of games on my PB, but a lot of people live to game and the PB is a great game platform. We now have three people here at work running around like sugared up 5yr olds speculating that with Rovio on board with the PB, who next? They keep spouting names of games and devs I don't know lol. It's still a plus.
    modine likes this.
    04-24-12 10:06 AM
    For being touted as a "Professional Tablet" I don't know why they would be so amped about a game. How about giving us a decent PDF reader and then I'd be happy.
    04-24-12 10:12 AM
    Tools not toys was the campaign for bold99xx series...cute comment though.
    04-24-12 10:20 AM
    Lost for words.
    04-24-12 10:25 AM
    Tools not toys was the campaign for bold99xx series...cute comment though.
    It's plural. But I get your point.
    04-24-12 10:26 AM
    I think its a step in the right direction, Showing that the Playbook can be both a "Professional tablet" & a "Gaming tool". As for the campaign "Tool not Toy", thats was for the phone & not the Playbook. My 2 cents.
    04-24-12 10:29 AM
    You know what I want, a well rounded device. I don't want a simple work machine or a simply game machine. I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I am happy that Rim just released another update and I also equally happy that a top game is released today. If you want the PB to grow you have to make it attractive to a broad audience. The day of a per machine per use is over, all in one is where the market is. I don't see any complaints from the i-world about how games are running their tools or how good pdf readers or Skype is killing their gaming toys. This is the same reason why Xbox and PS3 offer much more then just the ability to play games - people want flexibility and the ability to do more on single devices. I say bring on the great games as well as fun apps and of course the tools for work as well.
    FF22, modine and 9of13 like this.
    04-24-12 10:31 AM
    For being touted as a "Professional Tablet" I don't know why they would be so amped about a game. How about giving us a decent PDF reader and then I'd be happy.
    I don't think THEY were that amped. The members of this forum were with wild speculation.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 04-24-12 at 10:56 AM.
    Princepia likes this.
    04-24-12 10:37 AM
    I'm happy to see new, mainstream apps coming our way. I have four folders full of 18 games each. I just bought AB Space. I think it is great!

Maybe the reason this title was pulled a week or so ago - is due to the fact that Rovio (and other developers) wanted a tighter security system in App World to prevent distribution of their content.

So, 2.0.1 was released - then a few days later - AB Space was launched. I think we are going to be seeing allot of new Apps in the coming weeks due to the improvements of App World security - BB World around the corner, and Cascades ready to drop.

Frankly, I think the head of the gaming division was excited because he worked very hard to get Angry Birds Space onto the PlayBook. It may have been a situation where Rovio (along with many others) said, "you can't launch this title until the security hole is fixed to eliminate the piracy of our game". Then we saw 2.0.1 and we then see the title in App World.

Great job, RIM. Keep it up. This is going to be a fun ride.
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 04-24-12 at 10:53 AM.
    04-24-12 10:48 AM
    One guy from RIM was amped (Anders Jeppsson, the head of gaming). If the head of RIMs gaming department wasn't amped about the most popular game out there I would be worried.
    Princepia likes this.
    04-24-12 11:13 AM
    That's ironic, because I kid you not, I was at a meeting in Canada a couple of weeks ago and during a break, an aircraft rep/gov. contractor, pinstripe suit and all, was doing what I thought was notes, on a PB. I went over to comment on the PB and behold! He was playing chess, taking screenshots of his moves and sending them to a guy in the states who was playing against him Professionals play too
    04-24-12 11:14 AM
    RIM was disregarding the whole "game" issue up until recently - and that consequentially resulted in a 10%+( and rising) reduction in market share.

While I disagree with the idea of games making or braking a smartphone - it is extremely relevant as most smartphone user care more about playing Angry Birds than how efficiently their email is handled. Or how secure it is.
    grumpa and middbrew like this.
    04-24-12 11:41 AM
    RIM was disregarding the whole "game" issue up until recently - and that consequentially resulted in a 10%+( and rising) reduction in market share.

While I disagree with the idea of games making or braking a smartphone - it is extremely relevant as most smartphone user care more about playing Angry Birds than how efficiently their email is handled. Or how secure it is.
    I totally agree!

If RIM wants the PB to gain a bigger share of the market they need to ensure games are a big part of what is available. That will get it equal status. Having the ultra secure productivity apps will set it apart.
    grumpa and modine like this.
    04-24-12 11:45 AM
    My take on all this, (Yes I have had fun playing Angry Birds when it originally released on my old Android )
    1. RIM hadn't really hyped anything (hype by company = News post by them)
    2. I would really be scared of the RIM team if head of Gaming was not excited bout a HUGELY successful game coming to his platform.. So he tweeted about it.. Isn't that the concept behind twitter -> Tweet what you feel?
    3. I would guess RIM itself has not put in any resources for getting it to PB
    4. Seeing a mainstream setup like Rovio putting out a version for PB soo soon after their Android release seems like a positive thing in general..
    5. We can hope to see other companies doing the same too? Today its a game creator tomorrow it just might be a major productivity/ social networking app developer everyone seems to want?
    6. And lastly Who doesnt like to have some play break between their work? :P
    Last edited by GreyGhostRos; 04-24-12 at 12:00 PM.
    04-24-12 11:56 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD