Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By uncle_numpty
  • 1 Post By BuzzStarField
  • 1 Post By F2
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Too small market for Blackberry App Developers???

I'm getting really aggravated about Blackberry and the lack of apps.
    Since my first Blackberry Pearl, years ago, I've loved my Blackberry Phones.
    Loved my Storms, then my Torch- hopefully soon the Z10. (If it EVER gets to the US!!)
    Bought a Playbook for Christmas- one of the major reasons for picking the PB was
    because I could bridge with my BB phones. I knew there weren't as many apps
    as other tablets, but I thought they would eventually add more.

I've started contacting companies that make my favorite android apps but not
    Blackberry Apps. One of them is the Radar-Now app I have sideloaded on my
    Playbook. I would love to be able to have a native app so I could update it normally.
    Today I got the following response from Radar-Now (USNaviguide)...

Sorry, no. It's too small a market for us to address at this time.
    -John Coryat, USNaviguide LL

What the heck? Will it EVER get better? How can we build up the market if
    they won't build the apps? Don't they realize if they built the apps the market
    would get better? What else can we do?

Renee

I guess no particular developer wants to invest in building up the PB's market. Obviously, they would like to take advantage of a larger built up market and not be the pioneers. Of course, if they can offer something unique, they'd have very little competition on the pb but they have to be willing to risk the development costs.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I can almost understand the PB market, but what about the BB10 phones? Does it really
    cost that much to develop and sell an app for the Z10?
    Renee
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

I guess if those apps are important to you, you might be better off changing platforms. I do think if the phones sell well you'll see a change. I think the larger cost is in support.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    I'm no more qualified to say so because I own a BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Default Re: Too small market for Blackberry App Developers???

Apart from the obvious missing apps, Skype etc. there are a huge amount of apps and games available for thr PB. How many do people need for goodness sake.

Face Flow is a very good alternative to Skype and runs very well. I've got so many games on my PB now, I hardly know which one to play next.
    Do as you would be done by and 12 pence to the shilling (or 100 cents to the dollar).

Into every life a little ale must pour
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts

Some companies simply follow existing markets where the following is big _now_.

Startups or small businesses wanting to grow quickly in a saturated market may want to seize an opportunity to latch onto a small but rapidly growing market. Sometimes that strategy positions them well because they already have a lot of people using their app when the new market has grown substantially and the bigger boys playing Johnny-come-lately get left behind.

In short, companies with limited resources or those already quite happy with their cash flow and profits will rarely put an effort towards answering the needs of a relatively small market. That is the second part in the supply / demand equation. Markets will tend to supply a demand. When demand is small or absent, a company will generally not supply it.
    PlayBook 64GB, PlayBook 32GB (gone the way of my Coleco ADAM)

Also,

Lots of developers just have preferences + a hate on for BlackBerry. See the developer for BlockWorld on Androids forum for example.

Its fine if they don't want to. Someone will build something better.

Look @ the apps that have already come in 12 months. The next 12 will be fantastic

via Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Currently, to opt for a Blackberry, you have to take a realistic stance that it's gone out on a limb with a greatly-reduced market since the launch of smartphones and most are not following it in terms of apps. It's true to say that the quality of games and apps already there for BB are great, but anyone relying on ubiquitous apps such as Skype to keep in contact with others won't find their prayers answered with FaceFlow. No matter how superior it is (and it likely is), it requires your contacts to use it too, but they don't need to because they have and use Skype (and Skype is everywhere now - like Facebook) and I don't know of anyone personally who owns a Blackberry except my wife. I've contacted a few companies about BB versions of their apps: one game developer is going to see how well the Z10 sells and might make a BB10 version; all other companies gave an outright 'no'. Disappointing.

To opt for a Blackberry, I would imagine it will be the win of quality and functionality to outweigh the apps desired. I still defy any 'today' tablet to pitch against a 'yesteryear' Playbook in a movie-playing smackdown. I did my shopping - found none that would support AVI formats without a lot of stupid conversion hassle (and here was Playbook supporting them all along and hiding this fact as its best-kept secret)! My next phone is probably going to be an Android because I need Skype, but I ain't parting with my Playbook for many years to come!
    Last edited by Bad Whippet; 03-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

This is the reply I got back from USNaviguide, after asking them to reconsider...

In a perfect world where we had unlimited resources, then yes, we would address Blackberry.
    In the real world, where resources are limited and we have to decide where the best ROI will be,
    Blackberry falls past Microsoft and Amazon. We're working on an iPhone version now but I fear
    Blackberry will be gone before we get around to doing a version to support their OS.
    Sorry, just the facts of business.
    -John
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJRabbits View Post
    This is the reply I got back from USNaviguide, after asking them to reconsider...

In a perfect world where we had unlimited resources, then yes, we would address Blackberry.
    In the real world, where resources are limited and we have to decide where the best ROI will be,
    Blackberry falls past Microsoft and Amazon. We're working on an iPhone version now but I fear
    Blackberry will be gone before we get around to doing a version to support their OS.
    Sorry, just the facts of business.
    -John
    John sounds like a follower not a leader. BlackBerry is not going out of business if they properly integrate the BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Heins has to get off his in-car infotainment systems myopic vision.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Did you explain to the developers that the Android version works & only takes a little effort to convert and submit to BlackBerry World?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Experience with Windows, Mac OS, IOS, Palm OS, Android, BlackBerry OS, QNX, Windows Mobile and a variety of other devices.
    * Long time reseller of MDaemon® Messaging Server, BlackBerry® Edition
    Over 25 years of technology experience.
    Background in Avionics, self-taught on computers since the days of MS-DOS 2.0.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,939 Global Posts
    PIN
    Implying I still use a BB...

Its simply not smart for them to develop for the Playbook the market is essentially non-existant. If the market was substantially bigger then you could make an argument for it.

There is some opportunities to prosper but you'd have to be willing to make a big gamble on the future success of the platform. In all honesty if you were a small group of developers or just yourself you'd want to make an app for BB10 and Windows Phone. The market isn't overcrowded like it is in the App or Play Store, and only the major powerhouses get exposure to make money.
    GOD'S IN HIS HEAVEN, ALL'S RIGHT WITH THE WORLD

I build multiplatform. I don't think its a risk or issue there.

If I don't build for a platform its because I don't like that platform, I don't have time to build for that platform, or I don't know how to build for the platform.

With that said, if someone else does - the platform succeeds, it would be my failure to act.

Long story short: cei la vie. Someone smarter and better will backfill their application. Its a supply and demand thing

via Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,239 Global Posts

I gave up on having any useful Apps on my PB a long time ago . I suppose when BB10 comes there might be some more but I am not hopeful. Usually any app I am interested in is for android or Ipad only. I am somewhat more hopeful on the phone front . If my major cdn bank fails to place an an app for BB10 in the next eight months I will be going over to the dark side.

Not to sound rude...

Have you considered that maybe the problem is your expectations?

We all have the ability to see what apps are available when we buy a device.

Future 'potential' apps are assumptions at best, and will set you up for failure if you create your expectations on something that isn't (and might never be) available.

Just saying

From an application perspective: I have about 120 paid apps I love. TD/etc I do through a browser without hiccups. So for me, it perfectly matches my needs and I have no applications I want that are unavailable.

via Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,239 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KermEd View Post
    Not to sound rude...

Have you considered that maybe the problem is your expectations?

We all have the ability to see what apps are available when we buy a device.

Future 'potential' apps are assumptions at best, and will set you up for failure if you create your expectations on something that isn't (and might never be) available.

Just saying

From an application perspective: I have about 120 paid apps I love. TD/etc I do through a browser without hiccups. So for me, it perfectly matches my needs and I have no applications I want that are unavailable.

via Tapatalk
    My BB 7 bank app tells me when my cards are used like last week when a fraud artist used my card account. I contacted my bank right away. To me if my major bank does not support BB10 then that is a bellweather.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Just to play devils advocate :

Why should anyone develop for the PB. No one knows when the OS will be updated, and if it is updated what's going to be included in the updates ( this is not even including the 'supposed' change to BB10 ).

BB need to release a development timeline for the playbook so developers can see that it's a platform worth supporting - but that would involve BB sticking to a schedule.

BB's silence on the playbook is deafening and as I've remarked before - I can't understand their logic - BB10 on the playbook gives them another 2 million customers for their 'unified' app store.
    F2 and mmarco like this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

As a new developer onto the blackberry platform, my experience has been a shocking one. My apps took 8 weeks to pass the approval stage. That is enough to put any developer off. I have had 4 apps approved;
    BlackBerry World - Action Stations 3D Space Mission Action Stations space game 3D style.
    BlackBerry World - Angry Driver Angry Driver a racing game 3D style.
    BlackBerry World - English Prepositions Practice English Prepositions Practice.
    BlackBerry World - English Ladders English and Ladders. (Snakes and chutes to learn English).
    These Games/Apps took about 200 hours to port to Blackberry with probably about another 50 hours of form filling etc. My first 2 days I achieved sales of 12. Since then 5 days have passed and I have had no sales. These games in themselves represent about 1500 hours of programming. Angry Driver has been number 1 in 17 countries with Apple.
    So I think unless these figures change I cannot possibly continue to develop on Blackberry as 250 hours divided by about 15 dollars. I will let you do the maths.
    I think people have a twisted view that developers make lots of Money. I hope the Blackberry market takes off. I can't afford to personally gamble any more time into it as I have bills to pay. I hope that answers the question why developers may not bother to release Apps onto Blackberry. They are right in thinking the Market is small. I wish I had known that 250 hours ago! All the best.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crackchristy View Post
    As a new developer onto the blackberry platform, my experience has been a shocking one. My apps took 8 weeks to pass the approval stage. That is enough to put any developer off. I have had 4 apps approved;
    BlackBerry World - Action Stations 3D Space Mission Action Stations space game 3D style.
    BlackBerry World - English Ladders English and Ladders. (Snakes and chutes to learn English).
    These Games/Apps took about 200 hours to port to Blackberry with probably about another 50 hours of form filling etc. My first 2 days I achieved sales of 12. Since then 5 days have passed and I have had no sales. These games in themselves represent about 1500 hours of programming. Angry Driver has been number 1 in 17 countries with Apple.
    So I think unless these figures change I cannot possibly continue to develop on Blackberry as 250 hours divided by about 15 dollars. I will let you do the maths.
    I think people have a twisted view that developers make lots of Money. I hope the Blackberry market takes off. I can't afford to personally gamble any more time into it as I have bills to pay. I hope that answers the question why developers may not bother to release Apps onto Blackberry. They are right in thinking the Market is small. I wish I had known that 250 hours ago! All the best.
    And we've heard stories from some devs that said it didn't take near that long to port their app and it even runs better. Like the popcorny dev.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Oh yes, without doubt it runs better. Angry Driver is incredibly good on my tablet.
    CrackBerry Genius

Sorry about the length of this message but I am passionate about this. Please do not give up we need you. I hear you and agree that the situation is not ready as rosy as some people think. Two suggestions. First you need to target BB10 smartphones if you have not already done so, the numbers are much better there in terms of users (even if good apps tend to get lost in a myriad of "lesser" offerings by wannabe developers ). It's really tough to get seen in BBWorld when you are first starting out. I'm not a gamer but it seems to me that your might have some success on this platform if you hang in there.

In addition there are plenty of app-categories that are sparsely populated. If i had the time, I would branch out into app-spaces that were somewhat outside my area of comfort but nonetheless are not covered by existing apps. Another thing to do is nominate one or two apps to be featured in BB World. I have found that once an app is featured in BB World, and proves to sell a few copies, the adjudicators keep cycling the app in the featured every so often. Having a small pool of good apps is an advantage here. To nominate yourself, go to the sign-in page for the vendor portal and select "featured apps" as you reason for submitting the form. Please try this and see if it helps sales.
    Show off PlayBook's magnetometer! Just point and see What's up.
    Visit What's up Sky Map on Facebook.
    kbz1960 likes this.

I wish you success with your apps and hope that they are discovered and take off.

If you haven't, you can do a bit of your own additional advertising in the Apps subforum. Screen shots or videos have been posted by developers in that forum.

Again, good luck
    kbz1960 likes this.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    55,693 Global Posts

Both great advice.
    CrackBerry Abuser

[QUOTE=dangerousfen; I've got so many games on my PB now, I hardly know which one to play next.[/QUOTE]
    _________
    A'int that the truth? We don't need a gazillion apps but we need a few good apps. For me I want Utlities, not games. Sorry guys.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bbnivende View Post
    I gave up on having any useful Apps on my PB a long time ago . I suppose when BB10 comes there might be some more but I am not hopeful. Usually any app I am interested in is for android or Ipad only. I am somewhat more hopeful on the phone front . If my major cdn bank fails to place an an app for BB10 in the next eight months I will be going over to the dark side.
    I can feel your pain regarding the PB
    I have the same problem, no airline, bank or investment house
    I need a delta app, charles schwab, netflix, red hat, skype
    I now even lost my JP Morgan Chase on my BB 9780, I am the only one who can con deposit a check by taking a picture on my BB and emailing it to chase, no problem with Android and Iphone
    we waited to long for simples apps like netflix, skype, we should not need to beg RIM
    now we lost the bridge to the Z10, what the f*&#*

RIM does not take care of us, why should we care of RIM
    we are stepchildren

I paid over 500 plus tax for mine, bought a $120 keyboard, a $45 cover, a $25 travel charger
    there is not even a contact app where I can sync a 25,000 contact database to, so much for a professional tablet without apps

we have to learn to let our beloved PB go, there is no future, we will always limping along with one foot only

shame on you RIM for not delivering