i might be jealous or whatever, but there are a lot of bb users out there that will not purchase a play-book, be it because of cost or need. but can crackberry please discuss something else other than the playbook. i know RIM has other products coming out soon, i hope. just getting a little old.
    03-29-11 03:11 PM
    Agree. Although it is exciting and all, I am tuning it out more and more. I see no point in a tablet. I want everything in one device. Bring on the QNX Blackberries. Is it 2012 yet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 03:16 PM
    After 2 years of lurking, THIS is your first post!!!!!!! j/k We are kinda going PB crazy, and that should continue thru the 19th and a bit beyond, BUT once it's actually out and news about other devices starts coming again the focus will shift. Stay tuned!!!!!
    03-29-11 03:19 PM
    Yes.

Let see some good phones!

Tim
    03-29-11 03:19 PM
    again, it is not that i am not excited for RIM to fight against apple and microsoft, but this is a product that may not reach 5% of the market, kind of how i feel about all the iphone apps and android apps. there are many more bb users than the others. just feel left out in the cold while we wait for the next tidal trend to hit and then vanish.
    03-29-11 03:43 PM
    QNX is more exciting than any BB OS device being released this year. QNX is the future of RIM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    03-29-11 03:44 PM
    RIM is being fashionably late to the tablet party. Once they arrive, they will be long forgotten and sitting in the back table near the bathrooms, crying.
    03-29-11 11:33 PM
    After 2 years of lurking, THIS is your first post!!!!!!! j/k We are kinda going PB crazy, and that should continue thru the 19th and a bit beyond, BUT once it's actually out and news about other devices starts coming again the focus will shift. Stay tuned!!!!!
    Um, there's the other camp that's waiting on the 4G. This party is just warming up.
    03-29-11 11:41 PM
    RIM is being fashionably late to the tablet party. Once they arrive, they will be long forgotten and sitting in the back table near the bathrooms, crying.
    Being fashionably late in the mobile space IS the winning strategy - and Microsoft will prove it just like Google and Apple have.
    03-29-11 11:45 PM
    QNX is more exciting than any BB OS device being released this year. QNX is the future of RIM.
    BINGO!
    Even if there are some who aren't excited about a tablet, they should be very excited about QNX and what it means for future BB phones.
    03-30-11 12:03 AM
    Also more exciting than anything else that's being released by every other company.

03-30-11 12:14 AM
    I agree with the OP! I'm getting playbook fatigue right about now! A tablet is by far NOT a primary device or a completely necessary one at that... smart phones have always been the bread and butter of RIM and this flood of tablet talk is depressing and misguided. Especially since the darn thing is talked about so much and doesnt even come out! At least apple stays quiet about it, then talks when its able to present something real! Then mantains focus on everything in a balanced way.

But you know, when the idea of merging smart phones and PDAs came to light, it had a very useful and practical application which we see today. I still for the life of me understand the dire need for this. Its extremely limited when compared to a laptop and its not even that much more portable compared to all the mini laptops out that do much more than a tablet and cost so much less. So while I'm not saying that tablets should be eliminated, I would say that the majority of people dont need it and the news and press on the product is disproportionate to the need of people. Particularly in this economy...

I would prefer they devote all that resource to battery technology and new devices that actually compete with droid and iphone
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-30-11 at 12:36 AM.
    moiselles likes this.
    03-30-11 12:33 AM
    I do want to add however.... that I do see a benefit of a tablet in a hospital, workplace, 911 response and dispatch systems, and a few select business markets. But again, RIM seems to be pressing this product accross the board, CB and other tech sites are following suit and I think its misguided
    03-30-11 12:43 AM
    Also more exciting than anything else that's being released by every other company.
    +1. A lot of people have no idea of the potential QNX is bringing to the table for RIM. I never saw a need for a tablet myself, but I pre-orderd a PlayBook the day it was announced. Not too long ago most people scoffed at the idea of a camera in a cell phone, but you'd be hard pressed to find one without it now. And back in the '70's everybody expected the expansion NY Islanders would forever be the doormats of the NHL. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for QNX to make its presence felt as it took for the Isles to win a Cup.

is nowhere near as tired of hearing about the PlayBook as he is of wading through utterly pointless bullsh!t from trolls.

It's a whole lot easier to avoid threads dedicated to the former than those polluted by the latter. Just sayin'.
    03-30-11 04:46 AM

For diehard BB users, yes. I am still very interested in what the rest of the tech world has coming. QNX is just one area of interest, but it completely dwarfs OS6.1 device interest.
    03-30-11 10:19 AM
    I'm with the rest in saying it's getting old bringing up the Crackberry website only to find more Playbook talk.

But, on the other hand, CrackBerry reports what is available to report about. Right now the Playbook is all RIM has to talk about. If Crackberry didn't talk about this they wouldn't have anything new to post to the main page.

Hopefully once the Playbook is released we will start seeing more handset talk.
    03-30-11 10:27 AM
    tired of playbook talk?

i might be jealous or whatever, but there are a lot of bb users out there that will not purchase a play-book, be it because of cost or need. but can crackberry please discuss something else other than the playbook. i know RIM has other products coming out soon, i hope. just getting a little old.
    Totally, and jealousy has nothing to do with it. I don't know if I'd call phones slated for release 4 months from now "coming soon"..

lmao.....Same table they got when they released Storm2!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 03-30-11 at 10:35 AM.
    03-30-11 10:30 AM
    The plalybook talk is to much. It's overkill for sure. I would rather hear about some new phones.
    03-30-11 10:35 AM
    +1. A lot of people have no idea of the potential QNX is bringing to the table for RIM. I never saw a need for a tablet myself, but I pre-orderd a PlayBook the day it was announced. Not too long ago most people scoffed at the idea of a camera in a cell phone, but you'd be hard pressed to find one without it now. And back in the '70's everybody expected the expansion NY Islanders would forever be the doormats of the NHL. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for QNX to make its presence felt as it took for the Isles to win a Cup.

is nowhere near as tired of hearing about the PlayBook as he is of wading through utterly pointless bullsh!t from trolls.

It's a whole lot easier to avoid threads dedicated to the former than those polluted by the latter. Just sayin'.
    Too bad they are back to being doormats again! Go Flyers! Hopefully the PB takes the Flyers path to success, playoffs in the first (or was it the 2nd season?), then cup win in the 7th. Cup favorite this year!

EDIT: Did it JUST get 10 times worse when we started with the hockey analogies?
    03-30-11 10:37 AM
    Yeah, honestly I'd like to hear more about 6.1 and what features it has. I mean in depth knowledge about it. I want to know if QNX had a role in it and what it's going to be like. I want to see previews. I mean we literally have heard nothing about the upcoming phones.
    03-30-11 10:41 AM
    Hey All,

YEP... We know there is going to be a LOT of BlackBerry PlayBook talk happening on the blogs, and we are well aware that for some of you (those not getting the PlayBook, who just got phones, etc.) that it's going to get real old quick.

Couple things on this:

a) We're not going to be writing any less about phones... so whereas without the PlayBook we'd maybe be doing 5 to 8 posts a day, with playbook content we'll be likely doing 9 to 15 posts per day. So it's more in total... not less about phones.

b) To hopefully hit phone users too, we've already increased the # of posts showing on the homepage from the last 10 stories to the last 15 stories. That way with the mix of content, you should still be able to find relevant phone stories for you on the homepage. Whereas with 10 you might miss a couple phone stories due to the added PlayBook content.

c) I've told all our writers to NOT FORGET ABOUT PHONES. We'lll still have phone content coming. Whenever there is new phone news, we'll talk about it. Unfortunately, we really haven't been getting that much new info on 6.1, etc. yet. I'm SURE that'll change at BlackBerry World, which is only a month away.

d) It might take a little while to implement, but one of the things I'll want to do over the next little while is be able to allow readers to quickly sort Phone News from PlayBook News. I think the homepage will always show all stories, but maybe with one click you'll be able to see just phone news and/or tablet news. Kind of like right now if you click the News tab you see just the news stories and not our non-news content.

Sound ok???? Anybody who's been around CrackBerry knows we always go nuts on the latest device. At the moment that's the PlayBook. Hopefully soon it'll be some 2011 BBs. In the end, we cover everything, and that's also why you have the forums here! To complain about our homepage content and talk about the things we miss.

Sound good?

K
    03-30-11 10:49 AM
    Thanks for the update Kevin! As you saw we had a second thread on this topic pop up also. I'm glad we at CB are taking proactive steps to keep the site content interesting for those NOT infected with PB fever. (Myself, I got a BAD case of PB fever!!!!!!)

I closed the 2nd thread and hope that we can consolidate the chat and continue the debate here in this existing thread.
    03-30-11 02:16 PM
    Thanks for the update Kevin! As you saw we had a second thread on this topic pop up also. I'm glad we at CB are taking proactive steps to keep the site content interesting for those NOT infected with PB fever. (Myself, I got a BAD case of PB fever!!!!!!)

I closed the 2nd thread and hope that we can consolidate the chat and continue the debate here in this existing thread.
    You have some brown stuff on your nose...
    03-30-11 02:28 PM
    I agree with the OP! I'm getting playbook fatigue right about now! A tablet is by far NOT a primary device or a completely necessary one at that... smart phones have always been the bread and butter of RIM and this flood of tablet talk is depressing and misguided. Especially since the darn thing is talked about so much and doesnt even come out! At least apple stays quiet about it, then talks when its able to present something real! Then mantains focus on everything in a balanced way.

But you know, when the idea of merging smart phones and PDAs came to light, it had a very useful and practical application which we see today. I still for the life of me understand the dire need for this. Its extremely limited when compared to a laptop and its not even that much more portable compared to all the mini laptops out that do much more than a tablet and cost so much less. So while I'm not saying that tablets should be eliminated, I would say that the majority of people dont need it and the news and press on the product is disproportionate to the need of people. Particularly in this economy...

I would prefer they devote all that resource to battery technology and new devices that actually compete with droid and iphone
    100% agree!
    03-30-11 02:33 PM
    You have some brown stuff on your nose...
    I was bumping this thread, because I closed the other one! But hey it NEVER hurts to butter up the boss.
    03-30-11 02:48 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD