With smartphones getting bigger everyday, would it be cost effective and smart for Blackberry to convert the playbook to a smartphone? It seems that this is the route the smart phone industry is taking.

Goliath new Samsung Note phone causes rift amongst gadget junkies | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
    02-17-12 09:30 AM
    But you do have the option, right? I mean it's possible to make voice calls through VOIP on a Playbook, right?

I really don't see any reasons why it shouldn't be possible. It's a great benefit for customers, so why not?
    02-17-12 09:37 AM
    There is a software solution to this issue that I'm currently trying out. It's an app in App World called Comwave. You have to pay for it (not all that expensive) and once you sign up, you actually get a phone number assigned to your PB, and you can make/receive calls using the mic/speaker on the device.

For the most part it works well, albeit slowly. I've tried it in various modes (calling out, receiving inbound) and the call quality is decent in a pinch, however I wouldn't use it as my every day phone.
    Last edited by andy957; 02-17-12 at 09:53 AM.
    02-17-12 09:50 AM
    I don't think it's a very good idea simply because of the size of the device itself. I'm of the opinion that we're starting to get a little ridiculous with the size of these devices (phones not tablets). I think a 4.5 inch screen is about the biggest that you can go and still have a comfortable, pocketable device. In my opinion 4-4.3 inches is about the perfect size if you're looking for an all touchscreen device.

The PlayBook is just too darn big to carry around every day comfortably. I rarely take mine with me simply because it's not easy to carry all the time. Could you imagine trying to hold the thing up to your head to talk on the phone? You'd look ridiculous! Just my opinion, but I think it's a bad idea...
    andy957 likes this.
    02-17-12 09:51 AM
    Phones will start getting smaller soon. a tiny smartphone + tablet is the perfect combination IMO
    kbz1960 and maddie1128 like this.
    02-17-12 10:01 AM
    Phones will start getting smaller soon. a tiny smartphone + tablet is the perfect combination IMO
    Can we say "Samsung Note"? I know it's Android and I'm not sure I'd want to hold a 5.3" device up to my ear but it's getting rave reviews.

**Update, sorry NJPhilliesPhan, didn't notice the link in your original post to the Note debate.
    Last edited by andy957; 02-17-12 at 10:08 AM.
    02-17-12 10:03 AM
    So...like a Playbook, but with phone capabilities and maybe a slightly smaller screen?

Great idea, let's call it the Blackberry London!
    02-17-12 10:13 AM
    Or you can wear a bluetooth headset and keep your phone in your pocket and you can answer any and all calls hands free without holding or speaking into anything. What a concept.

That is the only way I would use the note as to me it is too big for a phone and too small for a tablet.

I find the combo works well for me. Communication for the phone, the rest for my tab.
    02-17-12 10:52 AM
    @kbz1960

Look at pictures of the Note, would you want to carry that in your pocket? I'm not sure I would, but everyone has his/her own preferences, right?

Also, some people don't like to walk around wearing a device attached to their ear. I personally still find it funny watching people on the street talking when there's nobody else there, until I realize it's a bluetooth connection. I know it's my problem but that's just my impression.

Anyway the Note is getting awesome reviews, but again, the PB can be used with the Comwave software app, effectively making it a smartphone/tablet combo.
    02-17-12 10:55 AM
    @kbz1960

Look at pictures of the Note, would you want to carry that in your pocket?
    Yes, for me it would be easier since I carry both my Phone and Playbook everywhere I go. I think it would simplify things for alot of people.
    02-17-12 11:00 AM
    Yes, for me it would be easier since I carry both my Phone and Playbook everywhere I go. I think it would simplify things for alot of people.
    Makes sense for sure...just for my tastes, I think it's too big a device to put in your pocket (well, at least your pants pocket. )

But I agree too many devices can be a royal PITA!
    02-17-12 11:02 AM
    So, and I'm sure you can find the previous threads, there is rumored to be the 3G version coming in April and then a possible 10" LTE version in Q4 of 2012.
    02-17-12 11:03 AM
    to me, a phone is much more important than a tablet, especially when I am travelling. Cannot afford to have just one device for both consuming an irreplaceable battery.

yes, the Note is getting good reviews and Samsung do make excellent phones but I do not find that very practical.
    02-17-12 11:09 AM
    I can't imagine walkin' around with my PB up to my ear! How ridiculous would that look?! I may as well carry my laptop and use that as a phone!
    MattM2G#CB likes this.
    02-17-12 11:10 AM
    I'll make a side-note to this.
    I'd love the PB to be able to handle my phone calls hand free when I'm @ the office ...
    psss ... you know what ? I'll bet he can ... very soon !
    MattM2G#CB likes this.
    02-17-12 11:13 AM
    I'll make a side-note to this.
    I'd love the PB to be able to handle my phone calls hand free when I'm @ the office ...
    psss ... you know what ? I'll bet he can ... very soon !
    Ok, I retract my last post above. I wasn't even thinking of it as a hands-free device. Now that would be ideal! I was just having visions of walking around with that slab up to my ear!
    02-17-12 11:22 AM
    Ok, I retract my last post above. I wasn't even thinking of it as a hands-free device. Now that would be ideal! I was just having visions of walking around with that slab up to my ear!
    It wouldn't be all that bad to pack it around...

up488 likes this.
    02-17-12 11:27 AM
    It wouldn't be all that bad to pack it around...

Click to view quoted image
    ahahaha! I guess you're right when compared too! Thanks for the laugh!
    02-17-12 12:09 PM
    @kbz1960

Look at pictures of the Note, would you want to carry that in your pocket? I'm not sure I would, but everyone has his/her own preferences, right?

Also, some people don't like to walk around wearing a device attached to their ear. I personally still find it funny watching people on the street talking when there's nobody else there, until I realize it's a bluetooth connection. I know it's my problem but that's just my impression.

Anyway the Note is getting awesome reviews, but again, the PB can be used with the Comwave software app, effectively making it a smartphone/tablet combo.
    No I wouldn't. For me phone=have to have, tablet=nice to have. If I have to carry one the phone wins every time.

While the note could be the best thing since sliced bread it isn't for me as I said too big for one and too small for the other. For this reason I will always be a phone + person.
    up488 likes this.
    02-17-12 12:18 PM
    I won't use a phone without a swappable battery so the current PlayBook wouldn't work. I would love to have all my needs met with one device. At least in Europe they have the option with the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
    02-17-12 02:04 PM
    Headline: Is it time for the Playbook to be converted to a phone?

Response: NO!
    02-17-12 02:16 PM
    Thread moved to PlayBook Forum
    02-17-12 02:24 PM
    I'd like to be able to use the pb as a speaker phone over the bridge. it kind of annoys me when i'm working or playing on my pb and i get the message flashing up that my phone is ringing but i can't just click on the message and answer it.

For general phone usage of course i would rather use my bb but having the option would be great.
    02-17-12 02:58 PM
    So stupid question... would you hold it to your ear in portrait or landscape?

In landscape it's a much more comfortable pillow...

I have the journal case and tried hanging it off my ear with the elastic...doesn't work
    02-17-12 03:04 PM
    Is there a bad batch of pills out there?
    MattM2G#CB likes this.
    02-17-12 03:48 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD