I want to preface this post by saying that I hope this is not taken as trolling – I would like to open a legitimate discussion about the PlayBook now that we are exactly 3 months into the ownership experience. It's not my goal to be negative, but at this point, I'm having a hard time being optomistic.

As much as I love my PlayBook...
    What's to discuss that hasn't already been discussed in NUMEROUS other threads about this subject? The only difference is now its 90 days instead of 60. You haven't added a single new whine.

All of the troll threads now start with:

I want to preface this post by saying that I hope this is not taken as trolling .. or something similar, usually adding "I love my playbook but....- to disguise the intent and keep the thread from being moved or deleted. First the disclaimer, then they commence with the same whining, complaining, bashing and trolling....
    07-20-11 12:16 AM
    I think you are being intellectually dishonest with yourself if you believe that there is no difference in a product that is in a near beta state but with a few good features, (PB), and a product that is complete and polished but with a few minor bugs, (iPad). You may have convinced yourself that there is no difference, but reviewers and consumers alike seem to know better.
    I was just saying you're getting too wrapped up with vague labels. What would really make the PB complete for you? As far as my honesty with myself, I know the product isn't perfect. I wouldn't call it incomplete either.

Unfortunately for RIM, those people cannot be found at the check-out counters with products by RIM in the basket. Those people seem to be expressing their desire to see RIM outdo Apple by talking to friends on their iPhone, or sending emails or Facebook posts on their iPads.
    I was thinking more along the lines of unexpressed desire. At least until they get to this forum... heh. Seems like a lot of ppl I have talked to in the past seem like they wanted to see the PB to do amazingly well against the ipad.
    07-20-11 12:41 AM
    im surprised theres no backlight timeout disable feature, i bought the charging dock because i want to be able to use my playbook as an alarm clock, having music play at X:XX time would be sick, talk about not having basic feature.
    07-20-11 12:51 AM
    I look at my playbook and say "meh". I mean I use it alot, but like the OP said it is just "where is the stuff we were promised?". I have moved from a blackberry as my main phone and wow, it limits the playbook. I mean sure I can use web email, if the websites like gmail the came up would let me use attachments! I mean come on, worthless email! On 1.07 it seems the browser is better and faster, but still slow as crap many times and the browser crashes some now. We don't have native email, auto correct, etc. and the playbook is lagging behind. The build quality is great, love it, but the "stuff" inside is so limited, no yahoo messengers and the like, no skype etc. I don't know what RIM is doing, but they are not impressing me. If RIM doesn't wake up, I might get rid of the playbook as well.
    07-20-11 02:11 AM
    What pisses me off more than RIM's incompetence are the people who come here and attack people for wanting the Playbook to be better. Those people are the real trolls.
    07-20-11 02:40 AM
    What pisses me off more than RIM's incompetence are the people who come here and attack people for wanting the Playbook to be better. Those people are the real trolls.
    They are called fanboys, their food chain is, bottom level: feces, top level: fanboys. Its like the cycle of water, or like energy, they dont disappear, they just get transformed. Every few months you get a new batch of them, while the old ones usually fade away or finally open their eyes. Its a slow process, but some end up being able to criticize their beloved company (whichever it is) and see both sides of the coin.
    howarmat and kevinnugent like this.
    07-20-11 03:18 AM
    APP development is a problem for the app developers NOT RIM.
    If your favorite app is available on another platform then contact THAT developer.

RIM gave what it promised: WIFI Internet, Bridge functions including email, and more AND MORE ....

If the PB does not serve YOUR purposes, then, there are options to sell on CB marketplace, craigs, ebay ...
    then buy what YOU think is something that serves YOUR needs.
    The problem with this attitude is that if you aren't trying to appease a majority of people, then your sales will be poor. If your sales are poor, you discontinue a product. If you discontinue a product, you stop updating the ones already sold.

Basically claiming the PlayBook is for certain people will be its downfall. You need to sell to all different types of people and support their needs to be successful. They've shipped (not sold) 500K units? Apple SOLD 10million last quarter alone. If their goal is to appease a few 100K users, then the PB will not be around long.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    DrRambone likes this.
    07-20-11 05:27 AM
    The problem with this attitude is that if you aren't trying to appease a majority of people, then your sales will be poor. If your sales are poor, you discontinue a product. If you discontinue a product, you stop updating the ones already sold.

Basically claiming the PlayBook is for certain people will be its downfall. You need to sell to all different types of people and support their needs to be successful. They've shipped (not sold) 500K units? Apple SOLD 10million last quarter alone. If their goal is to appease a few 100K users, then the PB will not be around long.

Um, yea and i am glad somebody else noticed the correlation between profits and number of units sold (because that is the bottom line). It is actually business suicide to spend vast resources to cater to a minority of customers.

The storm was a textbook case. I owned one right out of the gate. When, like the playbook, the storm obviously wasnt being developed to its full potential and it started going belly up, the fanbois immediately started the "if you want the iphone then get it", and "the storm isnt meant to compete with the iphone". I cant begin to tell you how insane this was. To wit; "this devixe isnt meant to be that good. If you want something better than go buy it. It is meant to be the worthless piece of ---- that it is!"

I was astounded by them saying that and meaning it! Well, the storm went belly up and the iphone continued to flush money toward apple. I was shocked at rim basically saying "we dont want all that money! are you kidding us?"

Well, they arent abandoning the playbook, i have come to realize they are, for now, abandoning current customers and focusing on getting new ones over sees. I think sales in the US werent what they wanted so they are trying to drum up new ones elsewhere.

Last edited by kb5zht; 07-20-11 at 06:11 AM.
    07-20-11 05:53 AM
    The Playbook is a prodigious child with crap parents who don't give it the attention it needs.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-20-11 06:21 AM
    I'm getting tired of downloading new updated BUGS.

Been a BB user since the 950 (look that model up new fan bois) and I'm getting really pissed off after this latest fuster cluk of an "upgrade".

Who is running the show up there in K-W?????
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-20-11 06:43 AM
    I am also losing hope. Part of me is hoping that they are working on the QNX phones for next year, with a brand new version of QNX, which will also be applied on the Playbook. Think about it, why is it taking them so long to come out with seemingly trivial enhancements? Dont tell me the software guys are too busy with OS7, which is basically a faster OS6 with a smooth interface. ****, Honeycomb came out in February of this year and they are already rolling out 3.2. Even 3.1 was a monumental upgrade and it was announced just a few months after 3.0 came out.

My guess, RIM isn't focusing too much on the current Playbook software, and it kind of makes business sense. They are planning on releasing QNX phones early (hopefully) next year, and I am going to bet that this version of QNX will be for both the Playbook and the Phone, (similar to 4.0 ICS). So why would they be working very hard on this current version of Playbook software, if there are only a handful of people who actually use it, and they are planning a huge release early next year?? Kind of sucks for the people who currently have PBs, but hopefully it will work out for the best.
    07-20-11 07:58 AM
    Up until the Playbook, I never realized RIM had blind supporters as Apple does with their iPhones and other iDevices. I thought RIM supporters were more objective, guess I was wrong. There's always a fanboy.
    07-20-11 08:25 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD