how to perform three finger reboot? Whenever I try to press power, vol+, vol- button at the same time, playbook does turns off but I always here a clicking sound. As told by others, I'm doing something wrong. How to do it correctly??
    11-17-12 10:06 AM
    When ever I did it in the past I always took a screen shot but the end result seemed the same. The PB would shut down and reboot.
    Recently I have been just holding power and volume + at the same time. I don't see any difference between the two methods other then I'm not taking screen shots. Anyone care to dispute that?
    savestheday611 likes this.
    11-17-12 10:12 AM
    As long as it restarts. I've taken screen shots during the restart but it always reboots.
    11-17-12 10:14 AM
    As long as it restarts. I've taken screen shots during the restart but it always reboots.
    yeah, I also take a screenshot every time I do this. But many others told, "you should not here any sound".
    11-17-12 10:17 AM
    When ever I did it in the past I always took a screen shot but the end result seemed the same. The PB would shut down and reboot.
    Recently I have been just holding power and volume + at the same time. I don't see any difference between the two methods other then I'm not taking screen shots. Anyone care to dispute that?
    Power and volume + button is all it takes. No need for the volume -, because it works without and you never take a screenshot by accident

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    11-17-12 10:25 AM
    It also works with Volume - and Power Button, that's how I do it. I don't use the Volume +
    11-17-12 04:09 PM
    Is rebooting this way better/different than restarting from the battery icon?
    11-17-12 06:55 PM
    Maybe but I'm not sure if anyone actually knows. But if the pb is locked up (it does happen), then it might be the only way to reboot it. But you can also try just pressing and holding the Power Button for 15-20 seconds as that, too, can force a restart if locked up.
    reschp likes this.
    11-17-12 07:57 PM
    You can tell if you performed a true reboot/ hard reset if the PB goes off and restarts on it's own, regardless of your method.

As far as a difference between a restart and a reboot/reset, there is. When we first started adopting PBs at work, our IT guy was told by a RIM tech rep that the hard reset clears and reloads the kernels, which is why PB reboot times are longer than other devices. It serves two of several purposes, one being security and the other being that problem or faulty processes (related to an app for example) are cleared. This action also gives a newly loaded app a start with freshly loaded kernels, helping to prevent glitchy initial app launches. Makes sense to me and appears to work. Plus I've read tech articles on RIM's security related kernal clearing and reloading associated with the longer reboots, phones and PB.
    jafobabe, Chaddface and reschp like this.
    11-17-12 09:43 PM
    It also works with Volume - and Power Button, that's how I do it. I don't use the Volume +
    If we are talking about rebooting then no, it doesn't work that way. Holding the power button and volume - will bring up the message that the PB is turning off. It will then shut down and not restart. That method( power and volume -) is doing the same thing as holding the power button alone or tapping turn off in the battery menu. Essentially you are just powering down.
    11-18-12 07:15 AM
    yeah, I also take a screenshot every time I do this. But many others told, "you should not here any sound".
    Yep and I don't know why they say that. If it restarts regardless of hearing a screen shot sound it still rebooted with a pic. Now if all you get is the sound and no reboot well............
    11-18-12 08:24 AM
    One is a hard reset; the other is a soft reset. The buttons method is in case the OS is non responsive.
    11-18-12 08:27 AM
    Did you know you can't talk a screen shot when using BlackBerry balance and when you're viewing enterprise applications or emails.

Power of enterprise Security. They should have balance software on pc's
    11-18-12 10:45 AM
    You can tell if you performed a true reboot/ hard reset if the PB goes off and restarts on it's own, regardless of your method.

As far as a difference between a restart and a reboot/reset, there is. When we first started adopting PBs at work, our IT guy was told by a RIM tech rep that the hard reset clears and reloads the kernels, which is why PB reboot times are longer than other devices. It serves two of several purposes, one being security and the other being that problem or faulty processes (related to an app for example) are cleared. This action also gives a newly loaded app a start with freshly loaded kernels, helping to prevent glitchy initial app launches. Makes sense to me and appears to work. Plus I've read tech articles on RIM's security related kernal clearing and reloading associated with the longer reboots, phones and PB.
    RIM tech support told me that it makes no difference if turned off via the buttons or selecting Turnoff from the battery icon. The difference is that the buttons will work when the PB is frozen. Both do a full (hard ) reboot. That at least is what I was told and the reboot time seems to be the same.
    11-19-12 05:23 AM