i would consider myself a true gadget head. i'd get those things usually on release day - phones, tablets, game consoles, computers.
    i had the original ipad, now have an ipad 2, the galaxy tab, and the playbook now since release day.
    i love the stuff apple makes, i am not huge on android, and i always liked the quality of blackberries.
    i love the feel of the Playbook. Quality built and feel, promising software. Very good browser, great speakers, eclectic music store. Apps are a joke. Many releases are not even working.
    Generally speaking, I feel apple makes it much easier for you to like their products the moment you walk out of the store. Somehow with RIM they always make you work really hard that you can embrace and fully enjoy their stuff. There is always all that wheeling and dealing going on with the software - official and inofficial.
    i remember the first Storm - pretty much became finally usable 6 months after its release after the 3rd or 4th major update.
    But even by those standards, this experience feels pretty out there now with the playbook.
    It seems to me that we are all a pretty large group of paying beta testers for RIM. I am sure they are all over those forums to get their insight. Customer support does not seem to have a clue.
    i am excited about the possibilities once they get it going in the next 6-12 months. But i am afraid that by then they are ready to release the Playbook 2, and we were all just blackberry anxious guinea pigs right now.
    And RIM might have missed their opportunity given the strong competition out there.
    04-26-11 06:32 PM
    No reason it would be nearly that long before the features we want most are available. Less than two months by a rough guess.

Also, I recall Apple missing key elements on the touch and iphone devices, including apps at all. No to mention that the iPad1 didn't even have cameras.

This is a new platform for RIM, so I'm willing to wait and I'm already happy with my product.
    04-26-11 06:35 PM
    Think about how much Android has evolved from 1.0 to 2.3 (phones) and 3.0 (tablets). Google bought Android in 2005 and the first Android phones wasn't even released till late 2008. I'm actually pretty impressed that RIM managed to get QNX (which they bought early 2010) up and running on a tablet device this quickly, given that the acquisition has only been a year. I'm pretty happy with the product and looking forward to all the new things they can add to it (since they already have the hardware there). This is in contrast to a certain other "fruit" company that makes a customer buy a new device in order to get cameras.

Everyone complains about this and that about the PlayBook, but if you think through what it's competing against and how much longer those competitors have been working on their software, RIM's not doing too badly (better than Meego for sure).
    grover5 likes this.
    04-26-11 06:44 PM
    It doesn't feel beta to me at all but I have seen others post similar opinions on the forums. Thanks for your impressions though.
    04-26-11 06:56 PM
    No reason it would be nearly that long before the features we want most are available. Less than two months by a rough guess.

Also, I recall Apple missing key elements on the touch and iphone devices, including apps at all. No to mention that the iPad1 didn't even have cameras.

This is a new platform for RIM, so I'm willing to wait and I'm already happy with my product.
    The problem with that is that the general public and even a CIO does not see it that way. They were probably really eager to test what RIM is finally putting out. And this thing could actually ruin it for them. The average consumer does not have that patience once a product is being released for grabs. They compare it with what else is out there, and how smooth it works for them.
    People here on this forum are obviously really devoted, knowledgable and most even patient to let it develop.
    04-26-11 07:00 PM
    I love the hardware and the form factor. I think right now that is what sets it apart. i use it every day (hour). i know it will only get better over time. You can upgrade the software and put out more apps, but you are stuck with the hardware. i love it!!!
    04-26-11 07:39 PM
    The problem with that is that the general public and even a CIO does not see it that way. They were probably really eager to test what RIM is finally putting out. And this thing could actually ruin it for them. The average consumer does not have that patience once a product is being released for grabs. They compare it with what else is out there, and how smooth it works for them.
    People here on this forum are obviously really devoted, knowledgable and most even patient to let it develop.
    Maybe in your part of town, in my part of town it's a totally different story.
    04-26-11 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD