I like to think that I'm more of the "typical consumer" than most on this site. I understand some of the technical aspects of blackberries and computers in general, but don't get into the details. I wanted the playbook pretty bad earlier in the year, but my desire for it waned when I thought about how I could use it with my photography in the field. I ended up buying a slate style pc from Asus to satisfy my photography need, and I can say I'm happy about that. I of course was still interested in the PlayBook as a "toy" even if I didn't "need" it for anything in particular.

When the reviews started coming out and I read the reactions of people on these forums, my attitude ranged from, "I'm sure glad I didn't get one on release day" to "How could RIM have let this happen?" I lasted a week before I finally gave in and bought one based on my months of anticipation and limited use playing in store. I didn't have any expectations after reading the forums and a few reviews. I told myself that I would sit on it and let the updates bring it around, but I didn't expect it to even function well at first.

I was wrong, this tablet works SUPERBLY for me. I updated out of the box easily and set up went off without a hitch. I bridged my Style on the Sprint Network quickly and easily and got a fully functioning bridge browser, contacts, calendar, and email. I didn't see the hangups or outright failures that I had read so much about, and that nearly kept me from buying one in the first place.

I think it's the little things about this tablet that impress me the most. Sure, the browsing is excellent, and the multi-tasking is fun and useful, but I think some of my favorite moments have come from the minute details RIM included. The calculator completely replaced my physical calculator that I had been using for 10+ years. I also like how a simple tap of the clock atop the screen brings up a calendar page for quick reference (even if appointments are not shown). Most importantly, I haven't had it tell me that it couldn't do something. Everything I have wanted to do as a "typical consumer" it has done flawlessly.

Obviously, with any electronics everyone's experience will be different. It's even possible that some people will have massive problems that I haven't come across while doing the same work. What I want to get across to everyone who might be worried about the reviews or forum posts here is this: Don't worry about it. This tablet works great for most of us, and it looks to be getting better as more apps are developed and RIM can fix some of the quirks that show up on release. So from one "typical consumer" to another, try it out, you won't regret it.
    tstrike34, prez87, Gorcho and 15 others like this.
    04-28-11 12:34 PM
    Couldn't have said it any better myself! This tablet is only going to get better as RIM releases more updates. Until then it works just great tethered to my torch.
    04-28-11 12:39 PM
    Well said, OP.

I am nowhere near a power user, and for me it is definitely something I want, not something I need.

Can I takeover the world with it? Nope.
    Will it replace my PC or laptop? Nope.
    Is it fun and useful addition to my techno arsenal? Heck yeah!

I have a 'lil cousin who is a real whizz-kid (was going to say nerd, but since he helps me out PLENTY when it starts going over my head, I restrained myself) and since buying and playing (er... I mean USING) the PB I have not needed to call him once!

That, for me, is the highest praise I can give a device
    04-28-11 12:50 PM
    It's nice to get some feedback from somebody on the fence, as I am as well with a tablet purchase.

Thanks OP, and I will try one in the store to make my decision.
    04-28-11 12:57 PM
    I bought mine day one. I read the reviews, and I don't care about native e-mail or callendar. I already had a $250 Android and wanted to see how the Playbook was better. Two days ago I returned the Playbook. Yes, it was pretty and could not compare in terms of hardware under the hood. But, over the course of a week of using the Playbook, I kept going back to using my Android tablet.
    First, I have a network drive that I stream movies through my Android tablet by connecting it to my TV. (no need to copy files on the tablet first). With Playbook I cannot do that. There's no file manager and no way of viewing shared folder on a network. And no, streaming through Orb is not the same thing as I need to make sure my laptop is on and such....
    Second, my Android keyboard has a tab key and a left/right key for your cursor. To some not such a big deal, but when you're typing something and then need to go back and change a spelling of a word it's a nighmare trying to tab in the right spot.
    Third, for some reason I could not stream live hockey from CBC.ca. Not sure why that's the case, but my Android tablet streamed it fine.

I could not justify spending almost $600 bucks on a pretty tablet. Maybe in a few month when Playbook is improved I will go back to it, but not yet, especially when my current tablet does things a lot better then Playbook.
    04-28-11 01:57 PM
    Nice post OP! I've had pretty much the same experience. Was somewhat on the fence and then got sucked into the excitment leading up to launch, nervous after the awful reviews but got mine the day after launch and haven't looked back. The device works perfectly for what I need - emails, calendar, web browsing. I love it.
    04-28-11 01:59 PM
    Thanks OP! great thread, the positivity is always welcome

I personally wasn't to sure what to expect going in. I moved from an Iphone to a blackberry about a year and a half ago, and haven't looked back. I won't lie, I have become a bit of a fan boy, but only because I love the product RIM puts out. I also sold my Ipad in anticipation of this device. I sold it early enough that it didn't lose value when the Ipad 2 came out, and I have to say, this new device will never be replaced by an ipad again. The portability ALONE makes it incredible. I have the playbook with me everywhere, as opposed to carrying around a bag just for my ipad.

I love the playbook, and although I didn't go through the Storm phase, it has more than met my expectations.
    04-28-11 02:46 PM
    My little bit of advice.......

Get one and test it.

If it works for you, fine.

If not, return it before your return deadline is up, and wait for RIM to better finish it.

It appears to be a good device, but it is definitely a good UNFINISHED device.
    04-28-11 03:35 PM
    @OP.....I enjoyed reading about your enjoyment!
    04-28-11 03:39 PM
    This is my all time favorite storm quote.... "It will get better in time".
    lol... your comment reminds me a buddy of mine when he was contemplating an iP4. I remember his reasoning for wanting the iP4. He said, "with every update to my phone, it gets slower and crashes even more. I want an iPhone 4 because it might fix the issues i have with my 3GS".

Moral of the story... the Playbook will actually get better with time - unlike my friends iP3GS. Oh, and he got a Torch and likes it.
    04-28-11 10:20 PM
    I'll second that. It took me roughly one minute to bridge my 9700.
    And I'll third that. Had absolutely no problems bridging the Playbook to my Curve 8900.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    04-28-11 11:21 PM
    I was 'wanting' a BB PB since I had started hearing about it...then...my daughter (who lives right next door) bought an iPad...and I was enamored...it was waaaaay cool. Then...she had the opportunity to get a free IPod touch...and I was jealous...so many gadgets...and me...with just a laptop and a BB 9700. Then....I REALLY wanted a PB....REALLY WANTED IT! But...alas...it was not coming soon enough and I broke down and bought the new IPod touch...with a camera and cool video and wifi....and games (angry birds)....and I thought I was happy. April 19th loomed in the future...I didn't think I wanted a PB anymore....couldn't I be happy with games and a wifi little device and I could borrow my daughter's IPad anytime I wanted? NO....I darned well wanted a Playbook...I knew everything about the Playbook....had watched EvErY video on YouTube about it...it was meant to be. I placed my order for my PB from Staples (yes....come in creepy, scary music...that encounter was a fun-suck!)...and minus the eff up about pre-orders...I finally received my PB....and I am one hundred percent behind this little bundle of joy. Yep...it's not an IPad...and it doesn't have a million cool apps....but, it is lightweight and portable and the video is incredible!!! It will evolve and I am once again....queen of the gadgets and I am the COOL ONE NOW! So....suck on that APPLE!
    04-28-11 11:49 PM
    Just opened my playbook yesterday after having bought it on the first day it came out. After reading all the negative reviews online, I was kind of unsure if I made the right purchase, but having used it for the last 24 hours, I'm happy to say that I really love my playbook. It's the perfect size for my needs and the OS is snappy. Forget better mail management, all I need is a better ebook reading software.
    04-29-11 12:15 AM
    Why you all moaning people behave as if PB was designed for everyone? You experts want so many things PB to do that it would take 10 years for RIM to incorporate. And you would still find something new.

It is tablet computer, not desktop. It doesn't have file system like the one on PC. You want native e-mail, then don't buy it. Unfinished or not, it is what it is. No product will ever be finished in that sense. There are so many changes and new features coming out all the time.

I'm really fed up of reading moans over here. Loads of people do not know how to operate it in full or set it up properly.

Read the full spec if you plan to but it. Don't like it, get something else. Have a problem, post it here. Do not write long story how unhappy you are and that you want to return it cause it's annoying.

Nice post OP btw.
    04-29-11 05:58 AM
    At almost the 2 week mark, I have taken my PB everywhere and it performs on cue:

1. Thanks to one OP, I can stream all the stuff that sits on my laptop to my PB so now I never have to worry about movies or music or even my docs again.

2. Bridging to BB Storm 2 is a breeze and easy. I still have a quirk or two (have to restart Bridging every now and then, but again no major hiccups.

3. The Browsing experience is a pure joy. Its like they put Firefox on the PB for the browser.
    04-29-11 12:23 PM
    Had 3 PB's at my house, 2 have gone back, power button issues. The button stops functioning, won't "click" on or off. The button will still turn the unit on or off but you have to push extremely hard and hold it..... no good. I was told at the store that they had a display unit do the same thing, Eventually it quits working altogether. Think I'll pass on the PB, returned them, didn't replace.
    Now this is a great post, so indepth, freaking awesome

There's a freaking power button on the screen you can turn it off by, so you returned it due to a hardware issue that's a non-issue anyway. I'm sure a lot of people found your post very useful.
    04-29-11 02:37 PM
    Now this is a great post, so indepth, freaking awesome

There's a freaking power button on the screen you can turn it off by, so you returned it due to a hardware issue that's a non-issue anyway. I'm sure a lot of people found your post very useful.
    You can also turn the PB on with a swipe. Technology is very hard to utilize for some people so go easy on them.
    04-29-11 03:43 PM
    Actually it is an issue. yes you can turn the unit off using the "OFF" ap but the only way to turn it on is the button on top. The employee at my local bestbuy admitted they had other returns for same reason and the one they had on display eventually locked up (bricked) because the switch remained in the power up mode. I don't think that is a "NON ISSUE" If it happens after the 14 day return policy you then have to be without a PB while RIM services it. That would be a bummer. I just thought that if any others had the same issue they should know about it, return the thing for another. Like you, I thought at first it was a non issue, glad I didn't stick with that plan, RIM has an issue with those power buttons. If the 2 of my 3 were bad and several others from one store then it is an "issue"
    You are probably pushing the button too hard and damaging it. My button works with a soft touch. No need to hit it with a sledge hammer.
    04-29-11 03:46 PM
    I don't even use the power button. I let it sleep when not using it. I've been using it everyday, so can't do a test, but I estimate the battery will last at least 4 to 5 days in standby/sleep.
    04-29-11 04:04 PM
    I have no problem with the power button on my playbook - it works just fine.

However, I can see how it would be a problem for some people. When you press it, it doesn't actually click or even depress not even wiggle, so probably some think they need to press harder, whatever you do, the power comes on when you release it. So if you're pressing it and holding it, it takes about 2 seconds, then it comes on. But if you press it gently and immediately release it, it comes on right away. That's quite different for a lot of people and will take some getting used to.

Hopefully people will give this great device a chance.
    04-29-11 04:14 PM
    I'll second that. It took me roughly one minute to bridge my 9700.
    I will 3rd that. I had bridge issues, am not an IT person and got it figured out myself.
    04-29-11 04:49 PM
    I like to think that I'm more of the "typical consumer" than most on this site. I understand some of the technical aspects of blackberries and computers in general, but don't get into the details. I wanted the playbook pretty bad earlier in the year, but my desire for it waned when I thought about how I could use it with my photography in the field. I ended up buying a slate style pc from Asus to satisfy my photography need, and I can say I'm happy about that. I of course was still interested in the PlayBook as a "toy" even if I didn't "need" it for anything in particular.

When the reviews started coming out and I read the reactions of people on these forums, my attitude ranged from, "I'm sure glad I didn't get one on release day" to "How could RIM have let this happen?" I lasted a week before I finally gave in and bought one based on my months of anticipation and limited use playing in store. I didn't have any expectations after reading the forums and a few reviews. I told myself that I would sit on it and let the updates bring it around, but I didn't expect it to even function well at first.

I was wrong, this tablet works SUPERBLY for me. I updated out of the box easily and set up went off without a hitch. I bridged my Style on the Sprint Network quickly and easily and got a fully functioning bridge browser, contacts, calendar, and email. I didn't see the hangups or outright failures that I had read so much about, and that nearly kept me from buying one in the first place.

I think it's the little things about this tablet that impress me the most. Sure, the browsing is excellent, and the multi-tasking is fun and useful, but I think some of my favorite moments have come from the minute details RIM included. The calculator completely replaced my physical calculator that I had been using for 10+ years. I also like how a simple tap of the clock atop the screen brings up a calendar page for quick reference (even if appointments are not shown). Most importantly, I haven't had it tell me that it couldn't do something. Everything I have wanted to do as a "typical consumer" it has done flawlessly.

Obviously, with any electronics everyone's experience will be different. It's even possible that some people will have massive problems that I haven't come across while doing the same work. What I want to get across to everyone who might be worried about the reviews or forum posts here is this: Don't worry about it. This tablet works great for most of us, and it looks to be getting better as more apps are developed and RIM can fix some of the quirks that show up on release. So from one "typical consumer" to another, try it out, you won't regret it.
    Great post mate!

Mirrors my experiences. I really wanted the PB when I saw the original rumours / hype / videos. Then when the backlash reviews started pouring in, I was beginning to wonder about this thing. Still inertia prevailed and I bought one ahead of the UK release on Amazon.

I'm completely stoked with this device. The people I've shown it to had no idea that there was even a BlackBerry tablet out there, they know all about the iPad of course. When they saw it in action, saw the bridge working (which REALLY is a case of clicking YES to Bluetooth on your BB - duh, winning), they just had to have one.

The PB is surpassing my expectations. Whether that would be the case if the huge backlash had not been effected, I dunno. I can say though that it is very addictive from my point of view as someone who just wanted the 'latest and greatest' gadget for a change to have some fun with.

As you say, from one typical consumer to another, you will not regret it.
    04-29-11 05:27 PM
    I have no problem with the power button on my playbook - it works just fine.

However, I can see how it would be a problem for some people. When you press it, it doesn't actually click or even depress not even wiggle, so probably some think they need to press harder, whatever you do, the power comes on when you release it. So if you're pressing it and holding it, it takes about 2 seconds, then it comes on. But if you press it gently and immediately release it, it comes on right away. That's quite different for a lot of people and will take some getting used to.

Hopefully people will give this great device a chance.
    Like yourself Patrick, I manage to make the button work for me. First time. No issues. I did wonder what the heck the fuss was all about - I pressed it, the Playbook popped a screen up asking me 'turn off' or 'restart'. Sweet!

Regarding the second part of your post, do you truly believe that there are people so lacking in basic motor skills that are still buying / trying the PB?

Considering the great and varied things that the human index finger is capalble of, I find it very surprising that people claim to be struggling with operating the PB on/off button. Have these people ever owned a Casio watch?
    04-29-11 05:32 PM
    My PB power button is completely flush, but it works just fine now. It happened couple of times that when I pressed the button to put my PB to sleep, it turned back on right away. Guess I pressed too hard. After some getting used to, it works very well for me now.
    04-29-11 05:56 PM
    Holy Cow ! Whats with the "mean streak" in people around here?. I wasn't bashing Rim or the PB. I am a devout BB fan. Have purchased every new BB for the last 6 years. I'm not an abuser of electronics, I have kids for that !. Is there really a need for the rough comments? I and others like me come here to seek out help, talk about BB devices, can you not answer someone without throwing in uncalled for denouncements of someones intelligence? Unfortunately it has been shown that those who talk in such a fashion are actually lacking the vocabulary to express themselves properly so they submit to using trailer park lingo. To continue..... I have several PB's at my disposal and NONE of them wake up when turned off with a swipe. When TURNED OFF you must press the power button to turn it on. A swipe will wake up a sleeping PB for sure. Sometimes with a gentle touch mine would not start, push a little harder...nope. No I never did use a sledge hammer. Technology is not an issue, I'm in charge of "Technology" where I work, hence the reason why I was so gung ** to scoop up the PB. I can assure you that's not the issue. I had no problem with the bridge, using bridge browser, loading my spreadsheets from work and using them with sheets to go, loading videos pictures etc. My only problem was the on off button. If it's not a problem on yours that's great ! I will repurchase in a couple weeks to reduce the chances of obtaining one "made the same day".
    Anyhoo, I hope you folks, E92 and Matty go back and read your replies, ask yourself if you would appreciate the same. Hopefully these forums while becoming a playground for "trolls" is not also becoming a place for folks to unload some of the bad baggage they gathered throughout the day.
    This thread was meant by the OP to be a positive one with those submitting positive reviews. As i said earlier, there are plenty of threads where you can complain about how bad you think the PlayBook is, but this thread ain't it.
    04-29-11 08:25 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD