I need a cheap tablet for surfing the web etc. I used to use my daughters iPad 2 but she has recently moved out taking her iPad with her. I can get a refurbished 16gb PB for around �65 here in the UK. I like the sound of the bridge software as I have a Torch 9810 and could link it up with that. I would appreciate your views before going ahead and purchasing a PB.
    06-03-13 08:26 AM
    I need a cheap tablet for surfing the web etc. I used to use my daughters iPad 2 but she has recently moved out taking her iPad with her. I can get a refurbished 16gb PB for around �65 here in the UK. I like the sound of the bridge software as I have a Torch 9810 and could link it up with that. I would appreciate your views before going ahead and purchasing a PB.
    For one, the price is way affordable compare to any other tablets in the market. It might be 2 year old still pretty decent comparing to the high end tablets. Lastly, the inventory is diminishing, I doubt BB will reproduce this playbook for this kind of price. If you are just needing it for surfing the web , it does enough of a good job. If there were some apps and games you must have while using the iPad2, you have to let us know before you purchase, there's where the limit of playbook lies.
    06-03-13 08:35 AM
    I like mine a lot....even without BB10 which everyone complains about, "When is it coming?" and "You promised" and "Waaaaaaaaa" etc. I use it to take roll with my classes and it is essentially my mobile desktop. Since I use it for work *gasp....what a concept*, I don't need netflix, and in fact, I have Amazon prime which works fabulously on it.....so does Crackle and I'm sure some people here could provide you with a littany of other websites besides netflix that work IF you need that. For the purposes you speak of, though, I say go for it. there are some cheap androids out there for around the same price, but like you, I too use the bridge feature, which obviously woudn't be available on there.
    Yeah RIM really messed up....the Playbook COULD have been an amazing device......but now it just simply illicits painful grimaces similar to those seen when the word "Storm" is used....which I ALSO had.....hated that damn thing though...but love the playbook
    06-03-13 08:39 AM
    I like mine a lot....even without BB10 which everyone complains about, "When is it coming?" and "You promised" and "Waaaaaaaaa" etc. I use it to take roll with my classes and it is essentially my mobile desktop. Since I use it for work *gasp....what a concept*, I don't need netflix, and in fact, I have Amazon prime which works fabulously on it.....so does Crackle and I'm sure some people here could provide you with a littany of other websites besides netflix that work IF you need that. For the purposes you speak of, though, I say go for it. there are some cheap androids out there for around the same price, but like you, I too use the bridge feature, which obviously woudn't be available on there.
    Yeah RIM really messed up....the Playbook COULD have been an amazing device......but now it just simply illicits painful grimaces similar to those seen when the word "Storm" is used....which I ALSO had.....hated that damn thing though...but love the playbook
    It's better for OP to purchase the playbook with the mind set of not getting the upgrade. It saves him/her the anguish of waiting and disappointment later.
    06-03-13 08:45 AM
    For 65 bucks it's great. Still frustrating but great at that price.
    06-03-13 08:59 AM
    By itself, I think the PB is a fantastic value for the price. You'll get even more value out of it since you already have a BB phone. I also recommend getting accessories for it like a rapid charging stand and HDMI cable. You'll be impressed that a device that came out 2+ years ago can still do many things other tablets cannot.

The Bridge feature is great, but I don't use it to maintain contacts, emails, texts, etc. on my phone (although you CAN do that if you have a BBOS 5-7 device). I use Bridge primarily to surf the web over my phone's data connection, and use my phone to remotely control my PB. Just hook your PB up to a HDTV and control it from your couch using your phone!
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    06-03-13 09:01 AM
    You'll be fine with your Torch 9810 and a Playbook with the FULL Bridge functioning. Right now the new OS10 units (Z and Q10) have a "hobbled" bridge, as in you can use remote control and a another thing maybe, but the Messages/Text and such are not supported as it is right now.

Thats why I am waiting to see when the Playbook update (when it does come) and how the Z10 works with a fully functional Bridge. Then I will upgrade my phone (I am out of contract and waiting.....) I have a Torch 9850 and 2 64 Gb Playbooks, one book for work, and the other is my media server for my AV system.

If you can, get the largest model (Memory) you can find/afford I think a 32 is the minimum, as vids and movies can fill up the unit, and I also found that they don't like to be filled close to capacity. I loaded mine up to about 60 gig of stuff for a vacation, and then I noticed that it became "bi-polar", sometimes it would be fat and happy, other times, not. I ended up doing a full wipe and resorte this weekend and all is great. I would suggest you always keep about 10 gb free for the playbooks "housekeeping", my conjecture though, no definitive proof, but unit loaded to about45/50 gb and unit is happy.

Thinking of trying to duplicate this issue just for a second data point. Load up the book to capacity and see what happens.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice and Playbook, if you so decide.

C
    06-03-13 09:07 AM
    I say go for it. I still use my PB a ton. But be warned ... you think you are only going to use it for a couple of things, but it has a way of sneaking into other areas of your life. You will soon find yourself using it for more and more things. For that price, you will get way more than your money's worth out of it. And check out the reviews and chats here at CB. You will get more out if it.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    06-03-13 09:12 AM
    I was in a similar position before I bought a refurb 64GB Playbook just this weekend. I bought it primarily as a media consumption/internet device that has a decent battery life and the whopping great 64GB of storage.

I have different tablet devices including an iPad 1 - which, doesn't get used much now because Apple have effectively stopped supporting it since bringing out three or four replacement models, all of which are too expensive for my wallet. I also have an Android 4.0 ICS tablet (a �40 refurb) which is okay but has a dog of a battery life, a poor quality screen, a very iffy accelerometer, and it chugs along significantly less well than a three-legged arthritic tortoise that someone's fitted square wheels to (I'd rather use my phone than that tablet).

A friend got a Playbook a couple of months ago - she's a bit of a technophobe and hates anything with a touchscreen, but she saw her son's Playbook and immediately wanted one. I helped set it up and the build quality and screen quality impressed me enough that, when the refurbs came under �90, I put some serious thought into buying one before punching the button.

I considered the (cheaper) 16GB models but the price difference (~�20) is relatively paltry and, if my previous tablets have taught me anything it's that you'll always want more space - it doesn't matter how easy it is to access cloud storage or whatever, the more space you have on the device, the more you can carry with you and can access instantly without any worries about connectivity. Even if you just clog up that space with films and music, at least you can do that.

I did splash out for the rapid charge dock/stand because experience of my friend's PlayBook highlighted that micro-USB connection port to be a weakness of the device and I don't fancy its chances of frequent plugging/unplugging.

I don't have any other Blackberry devices so I can't offer anything about bridging to other Blackberrys (whatever that means), but I'm loving my Playbook. It's a far more convenient size than my old iPad and far more rugged/reliable and better quality than my cheaper ICS tablet. Okay, maybe it doesn't have all the apps in the world but side-loaded Android ones take care of the essentials. And maybe the WiFi isn't the strongest in the world (it kept disconnecting in my garden yesterday), but it seems to play nicely (albeit slowly) when I use my Android phone as a wireless hotspot for those rare occasions I might need connectivity when away from WiFi.

I think I'm likely to use my Playbook much more than my other tablets - probably as much as my iPad 1 back when it was still current (I don't use that much these days). The convenient size, the long battery life, and the quality of the thing ticks most of the boxes for me.

From a practical and usable standpoint, I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone that doesn't need all the apps of the latest iPad/Android devices. If nothing else, it's a great price for a decent life battery-powered media player. Anything else (all that internet and app stuff) is a bonus.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    06-03-13 09:51 AM
    I say go for it. I still use my PB a ton. But be warned ... you think you are only going to use it for a couple of things, but it has a way of sneaking into other areas of your life. You will soon find yourself using it for more and more things. For that price, you will get way more than your money's worth out of it. And check out the reviews and chats here at CB. You will get more out if it.
    I agree. For a little more I would go with the 64G. Again depends on OP budget and what other uses beside web browsing.
    06-03-13 09:53 AM
    Didn't see this thread til now but I am as well. I have a candle at the moment and the PlayBook's are so cheap at the moment I wondered if it was worth it.
    06-03-13 10:52 AM
    Just bought my 3rd one. Definitely worth it unless you need the 3G or 4G version.
    06-03-13 10:57 AM
    Just bought my 3rd one. Definitely worth it unless you need the 3G or 4G version.
    The man in the shop said they only made one. Do they make different playbooks then.
    06-03-13 11:01 AM
    Since I use it for work *gasp....what a concept*, I don't need netflix, and in fact, I have Amazon prime which works fabulously on it.....so does Crackle and I'm sure some people here could provide you with a littany of other websites besides netflix that work IF you need that.
    How do you not see this as being internally contradictory?

It's better for OP to purchase the playbook with the mind set of not getting the upgrade. It saves him/her the anguish of waiting and disappointment later.
    Agreed. PB is a decent machine. It's got it's limitations, but serves most purposes very well. It'll do the trick for surfing the web, and as for OP's "etc", that depends on what the "etc" is. But I wouldn't hold my breath on OS10...better to assume it's not coming, and potentially be pleasantly surprised.
    06-03-13 11:18 AM
    I'll just wait here then.
    06-03-13 11:32 AM
    Im getting another one or two.
    06-03-13 12:37 PM
    Im getting another one or two.
    Which one the 3g or the 4g
    06-03-13 12:41 PM
    I also have 3 PBs and LOVE them! I am also waiting to upgrade my Storm 2 until they "fix" bridge. I know, it may never happen, so I am at least waiting until Verizon drops the latest update.

Definitely get the 64 gig. You won't be sorry.....

Hoot
    06-03-13 12:44 PM
    I also have 3 PBs and LOVE them! I am also waiting to upgrade my Storm 2 until they "fix" bridge. I know, it may never happen, so I am at least waiting until Verizon drops the latest update.

Definitely get the 64 gig. You won't be sorry.....

Hoot
    Yes but what's the 3g or 4g difference. The other member confused me.
    06-03-13 12:48 PM
    The man in the shop said they only made one. Do they make different playbooks then.
    I think it's limited in supply perhaps in Canada and UK.
    06-03-13 03:39 PM
    Yes but what's the 3g or 4g difference. The other member confused me.
    Like a phone you need sim card from a carrier and subscribe to data plan instead of solely rely on wifi.
    06-03-13 03:40 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I didn't use the iPad other than for surfing the web so it looks like the PlayBook would meet my requirements in full and at a decent price.
    06-04-13 02:00 AM