I just ordered my Bold 9900 and was wondering if a playbook would be a good idea. I have tried the android Xoom tablet and the iPad 2 and to be honest I found the Xoom much more fun and useful than the iPad 2. One of the best things about Apple products is the fact they have amazing resale value!!

I would buy the android tablet again but I still find the UI a bit choppy and flash content still seems to struggle/lag on the latest android firmware although better than the original honeycomb version. I love the Playbook's small size and the hardware quality and the fact the speakers are actually facing forward as they should. So my question is, how smooth is the flash content on the PB? Can you guys run any flash run website on the PB? I know Hulu doesn't work but how about Youtube?

I don't play games on the tablet nor am I a huge apps person. I just want to surf the web, maybe download a few apps like Tunein radio, GPS navigation (turn by turn voice) and youtube the desktop version. And how loud is the audio on this thing. I like to listen to the radio while in the shower. lol
    Lastly, can you print wirelessly with the PlayBook? Thanks
    09-10-11 10:45 PM
    Well... if you want a tablet and you are not an APP person then the Playbook might be right for you.

Youtube and other flash sites display great on my playbook. When i dont get wifi... i used Bridge to browse or read mails.. (or bbm on a bigger screen). The speakers are good... dunno what loud means for you... but I can hear the music while i shower.
    I really like the web browsing... generally on the playbook... althou sometimes i�m a bit clumsy and press links when i want to scroll.

as for the printing... i have no idea.. never really tried or heard about it... so i dont know.

Besides... there's suppose to be a "android player" soon to be release so you could use some of android apps, specially those by Google.

I got a 16 GB playbook.. and in a month of use... i still got like 12 GB left... I mainly use it for reading PDF (which isnt that great) document viewing and editing, videos and Browsing... Just a few times i've played with it.

I dont want to have much music on it.. that's what my ipod or sd card on my phone are for.
    Last edited by alekza; 09-10-11 at 11:17 PM.
    f1rewire likes this.
    09-10-11 11:12 PM
    Youtube now uses HTML5 (or I read something like that somewhere), it plays properly on most pages but sometimes it stops working and images become messy and sometimes crashes (ie. megaupload uploading).... If you are looking for flash videos and apps, videos are nice and apps are acceptable.

--EDIT--
    Buy it, it's a very great device, and it is getting updates, as you may know (but we are still waiting for The BIG UPDATE)
    Last edited by JMM2013A; 09-10-11 at 11:18 PM.
    f1rewire likes this.
    09-10-11 11:15 PM
    I believe the Playbook is far superior to the iPad2 in all things but marketing and apps.
    Better speakers, better processor, better cameras, great gesture controls, true multi-tasking, on and on.
    I do think you should decide which one is better for you first but if you decide to get the Playbook then be aware that RIMM is rewarding BB users by providing a 100 bucks if you buy the Playbook in the next week or two.
    Also, even though it is not yet available, the Android Player will provide many droid apps on the Playbook and the difference will be they will be secure because they will have to be submitted and approved by the RIMM app store.
    All the android goodies but secure. Pretty cool.
    f1rewire likes this.
    09-10-11 11:24 PM
    The internet browser, User interface, speakers, construction and cameras are all top notch on the Playbook. Blackberry Bridge makes the Playbook a perfect companion for any BlackBerry owner.

The only thing somewhat lacking at the moment is apps. The upcoming Android Player should fix that soon enough.
    09-10-11 11:31 PM
    Youtube is great on the Playbook [of course you have to have a good wifi or Bridge connection] and works beautifully with the 9900 Bold.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be support for Bluetooth printing, although given that the PB is a serious BT device, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it appeared in a future update [if one ever appears...]. I'm not aware of a voice turn-by-turn GPS app, although the PB does GPS mapping pretty well...I like the Magellan Compass app quite a lot.

Your best bet is to test a display Playbook at BestBuy or someplace similar to get an idea of what the audio is like. Personally, I try to avoid having expensive electronics in the bathroom while showering, but I will tell you the PB is GREAT for those extended 'library' sessions...
    09-10-11 11:32 PM
    Thanks a lot for your replies, really appreciate it. With the 100 bucks reward plus my BestBuy rewards points, the PlayBook is a no brainer! lol With the iPad 2 I was just bored after a couple of weeks of use. I guess it's for those that love apps and those that want a bigger screen. For me screen size doesn't matter (thats not what she said). Thanks again!
    09-10-11 11:33 PM
    Don't Think, Just Go For It. Don't worry about apps, wait till Android Player releases it should'nt take too long.

I've got two PB and i love it.
    f1rewire likes this.
    09-10-11 11:37 PM
    Don't Think, Just Go For It. Don't worry about apps, wait till Android Player releases it should'nt take too long.

I've got two PB and i love it.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole Android player feature to be introduced soon on the PB. You know at BestBuy the sales rep was doing his best to convince me to buy the Android tablet instead of the PB. I think they're getting paid commission to push the android products as compared to BB. I told him that I didn't like android's choppy performance and he was like "maybe you tried the early Xoom version" and I said yes I did so he let me try his Xoom and still it was choppy, although not as much as the originally version. But choppy when compared to the PB.
    09-10-11 11:42 PM
    Thanks a lot for your replies, really appreciate it. With the 100 bucks reward plus my BestBuy rewards points, the PlayBook is a no brainer! lol With the iPad 2 I was just bored after a couple of weeks of use. I guess it's for those that love apps and those that want a bigger screen. For me screen size doesn't matter (thats not what she said). Thanks again!
    Size doesn't matter AT ALL! ... Trust me On that. ... My 7 inch PB is more powerful than a 10 in iPad.
    Last edited by alekza; 09-10-11 at 11:48 PM.
    f1rewire likes this.
    09-10-11 11:43 PM
    Size doesn't matter Indeeed ... Trust me On that. ... My 7 inch PB is more powerful than a 10 in iPad.
    Coming from a lady... I totally trust you! What a relief!
    09-10-11 11:50 PM
    With that stated i say go for it. Plus big things coming for playbook 2.0 update.
    09-10-11 11:55 PM
    Coming from a lady... I totally trust you! What a relief!
    What a relief? LOL...

You should stop asking yourself which tablet to get... what u should ask now is:
    16GB ? 32 GB? 64 GB?
    09-10-11 11:58 PM
    I dont want to have much music on it.. that's what my ipod or sd card on my phone are for.
    I really hope you're not carrying a PlayBook, an iPod and a phone, as that seems excessive.
    09-11-11 12:03 AM
    I really hope you're not carrying a PlayBook, an iPod and a phone, as that seems excessive.

ipod is for the car and for the Gym. (full music library)
    BB is always with me... almost. (about 100 songs)
    Playbook is for work. (10-15 songs)

I used each device depending on what i'm doing.
    09-11-11 12:07 AM
    I say go for it.... got mine in the beginning of august and it has not left my side at all... just love that damn thing too much....
    09-11-11 12:11 AM
    Well... if you want a tablet and you are not an APP person then the Playbook might be right for you.

Youtube and other flash sites display great on my playbook. When i dont get wifi... i used Bridge to browse or read mails.. (or bbm on a bigger screen). The speakers are good... dunno what loud means for you... but I can hear the music while i shower.
    I really like the web browsing... generally on the playbook... althou sometimes i�m a bit clumsy and press links when i want to scroll.

as for the printing... i have no idea.. never really tried or heard about it... so i dont know.

Besides... there's suppose to be a "android player" soon to be release so you could use some of android apps, specially those by Google.

I got a 16 GB playbook.. and in a month of use... i still got like 12 GB left... I mainly use it for reading PDF (which isnt that great) document viewing and editing, videos and Browsing... Just a few times i've played with it.

Do you happen to know if the playbook supports password protected pdfs?
    09-11-11 12:15 AM
    Flash on playbook is by far the best that anybody has seen on a mobile device, it has hardware accelerated flash support and QNX has definitely done a good job here.
    09-11-11 12:19 AM
    Do you happen to know if the playbook supports password protected pdfs?
    I honestly dont have a clue.
    Let me see if I can try.

EDIT:
    I just tried. and I couldn't open a password protected PDF with Adobe Reader on PB.
    Last edited by alekza; 09-11-11 at 12:40 AM.
    09-11-11 12:19 AM
    I'd definitely recommend the pb for what you want.

Im in much the same boat, ive had iphones in the past, even came pretty close to buying an ipad, but ive never been a big app guy. When i had my iphone the only apps i had installed were a sudoku app and citrix receiver, the rest were either installed and soon deleted or, youve guessed it, novelty fart apps (everyones favourite bashing target!!)

A lot of times i find technology can get boring after a while if it doesnt have a specific use. Ever bought something you thought was the best ever, only to find 3 weeks later you hardly use it? (playstation move for me, great idea but not so shiny now). I was in a way expecting the playbook to be the same if im honest. It doesnt do anything that my pc or phone cant so i was worried itd be gathering dust. Truth couldnt be further from it though, in fact my main concern has now switched to "i wonder how many recharge cycles the battery can handle". 3 months since buying it and i dont think its ever gone more than 2 days without needing a recharge (more a point about the amount of use it gets than lack of battery life)

So yeah, i'd say go for it
    09-11-11 04:05 AM
    I currently own an iPad 2, Playbook, and HP TouchPad (firesale price!). I previously owned a Xoom, and iPad 1. So I can give some perspective on what each can offer.

Buying a tablet is a personal decision. There are pros and cons to each tablet. In my opinion, I would avoid any Android based tablet until Ice Cream (4.0) is released by Google later this year. The real issue with Android is the unpredictability of software updates. You are totally dependent on the manufactures who have zero incentive to update the Android software (since they do not make any profit off the market app store).

HP Touchpad (discontinued)....with very limited future software support...enough said.

iPad 2. There is no "tablet" market. I firmly believe it's an iPad market at this current point in the tablet wars If your life does not revolve around being flash based websites, than for over 90% of the population, the iPad is the obvious choice in terms of ease of use, number of apps, and future software support, and accessories.

Now, I've owned the Playbook for 3 days now (got it from the Staples Advantage business 50% discount ($299 for 32GB) plus I will get an additional $100 for being a blackberry user. The playbook is a nifty device. It's far exceeded my low expectations. It's powerful. I brought it site unseen and never even used it in the store before. The UI is fluid (unlike WebOS and Android honeycomb). Webpages load very quickly, almost as fast as the iPad 2. If I disable flash, webpages load just as fast as the iPad 2. I am not a big flash guy and wish RIM should do what Google have done. Google lets you enable "flash on demand". The playbook is ultraportable. 0.9 pounds vs. 1.35 pounds (ipad 2) is noticeable in my briefcase. The screen is sharp on the playbook. I have "enough" real estate with the 7 inch screen. Stero speakers is very good on the playbook. Much better than the iPad 2 (The HP Touchpad speakers are by far the best...Beats Audio). The cameras on the playbook are much better than the iPad 2.

Again, I can go into much details about each tablets I have or currently owned. But playbook is an excellent tablet especially for current blackberry customers. If you can get one at a nice discount, it's worth considering. I just wouldn't pay full price for the playbook at this time.
    09-11-11 07:17 AM
    I would advise waiting until you see the new Amazon tablet. It will be far less expensive and run Android - especially if you liked the Xoom over the iPad2.

I own the Playbook and while I like it, I am VERY disappointed in RIM. It is one broken promise after another. Dedicated email app in June directly out of the mouth of its president Balsillie - NOT! Android player to be released this summer - no show so far and its 9/11.

The Amazon tablet is worth waiting for especially with RIM's track record of deception, lies and complete lack of execution.
    09-11-11 08:29 AM
    RE: Thinking of getting a Playbook

Well, think again... or wait until this OS2 is released... I'm not really discouraging you to get PlayBook rigth now but if you will wait until the release of the so-called "sweet" upgrade, you will have a better judgement...
    09-11-11 08:53 AM
    Go for it.... why the wait if you can enjoy it as of now... every minute in life counts...
    09-11-11 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD