CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Thinking of Getting BlackBerry Playbook... Some Questions

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of getting a BlackBerry Playbook 2.0 sometime soon. I have a few questions I would like to ask though before buying.

Do I need to own a computer such as a Windows PC to activate or update a PB? I only have a Netbook with Ubuntu Linux and an iPad. No PC or Mac.

How much of an issue is the 1024x768 screen resolution? My Netbook has the same resolution and it is useless at web browsing. The resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 or above.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nadine.
    CrackBerry Genius

You just need the Playbook for the update.

I have no problems with the screen size. At times I find it easier than a laptop.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Hola Nadine,
    Todo lo que necesitas es una conección a Internet.
    La resolución de la pantalla es más que buena.
    Te la recomiendo ampliamente.
    Saludos desde México.

Hi Nadine,
    All you need is an Internet connection.
    The screen resolution is more than good.
    I recommend it widely.
    Greetings from Mexico.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts

All you need is access to WIFI for the initial setup and future updates. The PB's screen resolution is outstanding for both watching movie or videos that you've taken with it.
    CrackBerry Addict

screen resolution is a non issue, the playbook browser is quite capable and is, in my opinion, the closest to a desktop browsing experience.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask

Default Thinking of getting a Playbook.......

Nadine
    I update my PB from my WIFI connection, from my BB over Blackberry bridge
    &/or on my netbook through BB desktop manager. Versatility & choice. Love it!
    The imaging is incredible. Enjoy.
    Thanks
    Robert

Backup of settings is generally via Desktop manager on pc/mac.

Getting music, videos on it needs a usb or wifi connection generally but some use a Cloud connection as an intermediary.
    CrackBerry User

The PlayBook is an awesome tool. I downsized from a PC to a laptop; from the laptop to a netbook; and finally I have just about completed by move to only the PlayBook. With the mini keyboard for the PlayBook, all I need is a bit more storage (I have the 64GB unit).
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by NadineIfans1UK View Post
    How much of an issue is the 1024x768 screen resolution? My Netbook has the same resolution and it is useless at web browsing. The resolution needs to be at least 1024x768 or above.
    As concerns resolution, indeed the screen is, well, the size it is, but contrary to a netbook you have all the pinch-and-zoom, double-click-to-autoexpand etc. facilities of a tablet. Indeed, when in a browser I find myself using them a lot.

You'll see also for reading (pdfs, books etc.) one of the main criteria discussed here is, how will a given application adjust to the screen. The best IMHO being the ones that most efficiently autoadjust. This kind of thing you don't have on Netbooks...

H.