I've been reviewing my older 32gig's Standby Power loss overnight (well, all the time but night was what brought it to my attention).

Called Rim on Monday and they had me reload the latest OS and check it again. Still, on Standby the 32gig loses about 15% overnight. It goes from a full 100% to ZERO percent in about 56 hours. In 24 hours it drops to 58%, in 48 hours it drops to 18% and then to Zero.

My 64 gig loses very little overnight which is what brought this more clearly into perspective.

Okay, reloading the OS did nothing to fix it.

So called Rim yesterday to report the results. They then suggested Battery Recalibration. Two full charges followed by two full discharges where the pb turns itself off. Done and now it is recharging for the 3rd time.

What caught my attention was the discharge "curve" and the recharge "curve." Battery Guru suggests that it will take about 9 hours to fully discharge.

Mine fully discharges in about 4 hours. It fully recharges in somewhat over 2 hours using the RAPID CHARGER.

Got me wondering if maybe one of the two dual batteries might not be working correctly. I had suggested that to rim yesterday just as we were hanging up. Now I'm wondering more.

But since I'm still during the recharge, I will be checking Standby in a while to see if Recalibration has fixed anything. I suspect it will not be fixed.

Although, these two cycles have changed my Battery Health from 94% to 90% (which is still better than my newer 64gig unit's 89%. What's interesting is the 32gig has had 177 recharge cycles whereas the 64 has only had 41 recharges.
    05-04-12 10:08 AM
    I noticed same thing on my 16gb model recently. I was using it for development and had it plugged into my computer USB a lot for installing software for debugging.

So I figured it was battery miscalibration due to Playbook getting a relatively low charge (or none at all) from my low amp USB port, and also sporadically during its power cycle (I would plug into USB at pretty much any remaining charge level).

OK, So I decided to check out Wifi and turn it OFF when in standby mode... When off, discharge rate is as before (low). When I leave Wifi on at night, discharge high.

My conclusion is that my wifi signal changed or more interference, and battery needs to use more power boost. Or maybe there is some new background process using wifi to continuously communicate. Either way, when Wifi is OFF my standby mode discharge is minimal again (like 1% per every few hours). If Wifi is ON when I go into standby, discharge is 5 or 10% per hour.

Maybe standby in the past was turning off wifi? And now it isn't? Without us knowing?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-04-12 03:50 PM
    I pretty sure WiFi was not being turned off while in standby mode on older OS's. But I have noticed a significant increase in battery drain when in standby. I have gone back to putting the playbook in airplane mode again before putting in standby. Seems to have solved the issue.
    05-04-12 05:10 PM
    The other day I did turn off both bt and wifi and the discharge rate did drop BUT I do not need to do that with my other 64gig unit. I leave both bt and wifi ON and it does not have a steep discharge rate.

Also, one should not have to have to turn those things on/off, at least, not if the unit is working properly, is my guess.

Again, if I did not have my 64gig to compare it to, I might not think it was bad. And it has been this way forever - well, for a long time, way before OS2. Because I recall reading about other peoples' battery life in various threads and realized my did not last anywhere as long.

I will see what Rim ultimately decides when I call them back with the results of this latest experiment. When I spoke with them yesterday, I noted that I really did not want to take a chance in the past because my screen is still perfect. No dead pixels, no light bleed. But my warranty does run out soon and I think it needs to be addressed.
    05-04-12 05:11 PM
    I wonder if it is a hardware or software issue. Time will tell. I wonder if it could be certain apps that leave processes running in the background after they have quit, or even the Android player.

Would be nice to have a Battery diagnostics service like RIM built into the options on OS7 phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-04-12 07:40 PM
    My PB seems to be holding a good strong charge at 92% quality (64GB).

It got down to 40% on me last night, but I was up all night. It shows 4.17v, 92% and 8 recharges right now at 100% charge.

I got it as an open box item with full warranty. My wife's is almost the same...4.13v, 92% and 14 recharges. Same place, 32GB.

We are very happy and she plays with hers all the time. Mine is on a Rocketfish stand and I've been leaving it sit quite a bit because of stuff I'm doing between the desktop and laptop.

Mine drops very little in stand by, and it is at least monitoring wifi because I can \\nameofpb in wondows explorer and access it from both the LT & DT.

I was converting some stuff for the PB lastnight and was swapping stuff out most of that time...it was always there...unplugged too...only lost a few percent, 4-6 I would guess.

I was sending, removing, and moving files and stuff on the PB from the other computers. These both appear to be new, or at least not charged too many times.

Someday I'll search the threads I have posted and compare results.
    05-04-12 08:26 PM
    Seems to have lost 17% in 8 hours of doing nothing except running Battery Guru and being awoken to takes its "temperature" every so often. This one is almost stark naked. I installed the OS the other day. I did copy one video to it. Battery guru is it for apps.

And yes, bt and wifi remain ON. Ohhhhh. Battery Health was not helped by this process it is now down to 88%.
    05-04-12 08:55 PM
    Ok, from 9PM to 6:30 AM I lost 4% without wifi on. It was at 100 and is was at 96 when I got up.

I'll leave it on with Wifi and see what that tells us.
    05-05-12 06:20 AM
    Here's my progression. From 100% to 62% in 21 hours.

3 5/4/2012 9:32 100 4.177 0 0 14.857 22.1 state=unplugged, charger=NONE

3 5/4/2012 17:32 85 4.027 -0.084 -0.338 14.328 22.6 8 hours

3 5/5/2012 1:32 70 3.92 -0.086 -0.337 11.724 21.2 16 hours

3 5/5/2012 6:33 62 3.859 -0.076 -0.293 10.174 19.5 21 hours

Only thing running was Battery Guru. BT/wifi ON.
    05-05-12 09:12 AM
    Do you have both PB's mapped on a PC? Try removing or adding to the PC. My drain changed when I either removed or added the drive to PC. I can't remember if it got better or worse. I really should keep track of these things.
    I posted a screen shot in another thread of my wife's PB that was sitting idle for a day or so. When I looked at the graph I noticed an increase in drain on her PB when I started using my PB.

My PB has always had a weird wifi drain that has gotten better over the last few months for some reason. I can't tie it to any update or change I made.
    05-05-12 10:17 AM
    It has always drained what I'd call too fast even before it had a sibling. So I don't believe the 2nd pb has affected it.
    05-05-12 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD