turning off the playbook saves battery life but takes too long to start up putting in standby does not turn off radio and uses up battery. there should be an option to sleep. like on a computer. maybe we could select what happens when put to sleep. such as turning off the radio. can an app do this or would it have to be part of the os..
    11-01-11 08:17 PM
    Radio? WTF?
    11-01-11 08:33 PM
    "radio" sometimes used to mean Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, and anything similar.

The presumption is that these features consume significant power.
    11-01-11 09:07 PM
    turn on airplane mode, push the sleep button, short of turning it off thats basically all you can do.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-01-11 09:11 PM
    With the "radio" on and putting my PB on standby barely uses up 1% an hour. Worst case scenario it'll use up 8% of juice in a 8 hour period. At that extreme the PB doesn't have a reason to remain on (imho). 90% of the battery life takes me through a typical day of usage so I can forfeit the 10 hours of standby with the other 10%.
    11-02-11 05:51 AM
    I simply turn the wifi off and go into standby (I never turn it "off"). Can't even hardly notice a difference in battery power.
    11-02-11 06:19 AM
    If you want a high energy saving, the airplane mode is fine.
    To put it into sleep, just press the power button briefly (I know some of you dislike the button, but mine is working perfectly, maybe a French specificity ? Would be the first time lol)
    11-02-11 07:25 AM
    Mine likes two blankets and a soft pillow..Sometimes I snore so I like to turn ocean waves on so it can relax and get a good nights rest.
    11-02-11 07:36 AM
    since my power button is hard to push, I simply drag my finger down on upper right corner of screen, tap on battery icon and then tap on stand by. I have not used power button in weeks. I leave my PB in charging cradle over night, small battery drain over night never an issue.
    11-02-11 07:59 AM
    If I put the playbook in standby it will be dead withing 3-4 days with out any use. Is this normal? If not, how can I figure out what is causing the drain?
    11-02-11 08:28 AM
    I typically just close the leather cover on mine and let it go to sleep itself. If you want to put it on standby right away, just touch the battery and then touch standby.

I think three to four days is about right. I charge my PB about every two days but I use it about an hour or two a day.
    11-02-11 08:44 AM
    I think you may be looking for sleep where a pc saves the contents of memory to the hard drive and then shuts off the power completely. When it starts up the bios reads the memory state from the hardrive to restore the operating system to how it was when you went into sleep. The PlayBook does not have this capability. It has the ability to suspend, which would be similar to suspend on a laptop and like suspend on a laptop, requires power to keep the OS active in memory. A laptop will also drain the battery while on suspend.

If you want to leave the Playbook for more than a few days, you probably need to use the power off option, rather than suspend.
    11-02-11 08:49 AM
    If you push the power icon, you can select Stand-By. I do that at night before bed once I load it into the charger.

On the PB: Stand-By = Sleep
    11-02-11 08:59 AM
    Without Airplane mode I get about 2 days between charges when leaving in standby. With it on my PB can go most of a week (that's with no usage).

Very handy when I grab it after not using it in a couple days and it still has juice in it...
    11-02-11 09:20 AM
    If I put the playbook in standby it will be dead withing 3-4 days with out any use. Is this normal? If not, how can I figure out what is causing the drain?
    It's not normal, but it's not entirely unheard of either.

In my case, if I put the PlayBook into Standby when fully charged, even with WiFi left on, it will last for over 13 days.

Overnight, it drops 3-4%. Using airplane mode makes a negligible difference, because under normal conditions, in standby, even WiFi is effectively turned off.

There are some conditions under which it will get into a state where it consumes more like 12% overnight. In my case that happens only after I've been using some GPS apps and the GPS service ends up "stuck" (that's theory so far). Other people have reported this sort of condition existing immediately after startup, which may be what you're facing. When that's happening, you'd get only about 3 days on standby.

Installing my app (Battery Guru, $1.99 in App World) is about the only way I know of to investigate these sorts of things effectively.
    11-02-11 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD