I bought my 2 sons each a 32GB Playbook for Christmas. (Friend who works for RIM). I wanted to be able to purchase apps for them, but I realized I can't unless they use my BB ID, which I really don't want them to, and I don't think they would want to either. If I let them use either my credit card or Paypal account to add the apps to their playbooks, I give authorization for any purchase under that ID. Not that I think my kids would go buying up apps and sticking me for the cost, but I just don't think its a good idea to leave open access to my credit cards or paypal account.

Is there anyway for one person to buy the app for another person's Playbook?
    12-21-11 02:56 PM
    I would really like to know the answer to this as well. Got a playbook for my GF and I'd like to load it with a few good apps before giving it as a gift.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-21-11 02:59 PM
    I don't think you can at this time...aside from giving cash that is towards the purchase of apps.

RIM still (rolls eyes) hasn't come out with Gift Cards or Prepaid Cards as has Xbox, PS3, and Itunes. Perhaps the "gifting" aspect of the new App World that appeared recently for the phones will make its way to the Playbook soon.
    12-21-11 03:14 PM
    There is probably some hope for all of us just around the corner. The v3.1.0.56 phone based version of BB App World includes a gift "begging" feature, which would allow one person to request (beg for!) an app that another would actually pay for. I'm assuming this feature would soon be available for Playbook's App World (which would be great since I don't want my kids to go nuts with my BB ID (and therefore, my credit card!)
    12-21-11 03:32 PM
    I considered buying one of those prepaid VISA cards for them, but they don't always work with online purchases. Has anyone ever used one of those?

Jill
    12-21-11 03:38 PM
    Why not just get the kids each their own BBID, set it up with credit card or paypal. Only you will know the password as it was you that set it up.
    12-21-11 03:47 PM
    Why not just get the kids each their own BBID, set it up with credit card or paypal. Only you will know the password as it was you that set it up.
    I think I might just try the portable VISA card. Can always use it for something else if it doesn't work with the PB
    12-21-11 03:52 PM
    Heres what I do. I have a paypal acct. They each have their own bbid's but pay for apps on my paypal. They have a limit per month they can spend. I get all the app world reciepts in my inbox so theres no sneaking.
    ridesno159 likes this.
    12-21-11 03:54 PM
    @Bisboxer
    The only issue with tying your cc or paypal account to their bbid is that your password would be required and promted for each time they want to purchase an app,meaning you have to either be physically present to authorize the purchase,or to give your password to your kids (not always a good thing). I'm still hoping the begging/gifting feature comes to PB. It's a secure solution that allows you to pay for your kid's apps remotely.
    12-21-11 03:59 PM
    12-21-11 04:11 PM
    a pre-paid credit card is the easiest way i know of. u might even be able to use one card between the 2 of them. heck they can even set their own password if u want.
    12-21-11 04:11 PM
    Im also really hoping for the begging/gifting feature to come to the PlayBook Appworld, the phone one seems to be linked to BB messenger contacts only.
    12-21-11 04:28 PM
    I have purchased aps for my wife's 32 Playbook on my PayPal Account. You can purchase aps for your kid's Playbooks the same way; let them tell you what they want and you can go their Playbook (or your own and transfer to theirs) and download what they want. That way, you control what they download.

johnreid
    12-21-11 04:30 PM
    I considered buying one of those prepaid VISA cards for them, but they don't always work with online purchases. Has anyone ever used one of those?

Jill
    I use a prepaid Visa for all my purchases with no problems at all
    12-21-11 04:37 PM
    @Bisboxer
    The only issue with tying your cc or paypal account to their bbid is that your password would be required and promted for each time they want to purchase an app,meaning you have to either be physically present to authorize the purchase,or to give your password to your kids (not always a good thing). I'm still hoping the begging/gifting feature comes to PB. It's a secure solution that allows you to pay for your kid's apps remotely.
    I don't think this is correct...

Each kid, and PlayBook, would need their own BBID. What if they all wanted Angry Birds? But, they would each have a PayPal account associated with it. Dad (or mom) would setup the PayPal accounts and only have access to them, but would enter in the account information to each BBID. If the PayPal account runs out of money then the kid can't buy apps until mom or dad puts more money into the PayPal account.

I guess I don't use a PayPal account for buying my apps, but I don't need to enter my credit card information in every time I buy an app.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 12-21-11 at 04:51 PM.
    12-21-11 04:49 PM
    I have set up my kids' Playbooks under my BBID. That way, they can have access to all the apps that I have already purchased (a lot!). They don't have my BBID password and when they want to buy something, I purchase it and get work done around the house in exchange.
    12-21-11 06:24 PM

Each kid, and PlayBook, would need their own BBID. What if they all wanted Angry Birds? But, they would each have a PayPal account associated with it. Dad (or mom) would setup the PayPal accounts and only have access to them, but would enter in the account information to each BBID. If the PayPal account runs out of money then the kid can't buy apps until mom or dad puts more money into the PayPal account.

I guess I don't use a PayPal account for buying my apps, but I don't need to enter my credit card information in every time I buy an app.
    I fully agree with you. You do not need to enter credit card info (or Paypal info) each time an app purchase is made. The method of payment remains stored, but you will be prompted for the Blackberry ID's password as a normal part of authorizing an app purchase (and this happens whether the payment method is CC (directly) or Paypal (which can be configured to deduct from a checking account OR directly (in real time)from a CC account-Paypal is flexible in how you use it). The password prompt is guaranteed to occur for future purchases even if you've had a purchase "session" that doesn't require a password entry for each app. You can also count on being asked for the password if enough minutes go by without any purchase activity after you've made a single app purchase.
    I don't like the idea of having to enter either MY BBID password, or for the child to have their own password, but to have my payment method stored in their account.
    We all seem to have different ways of wanting to fund an app purchase. It has only become more clear that the app "begging/gifting" system would make ALL of our lives easier!
    12-21-11 07:26 PM

My kids all wanted angry birds. I purchased it on my Playbook and then they went into App World and downloaded it. Simple and done.
    12-21-11 07:32 PM
    My kids are 16 and 19, so I don't think they would be into sharing Mom's BBID. Maybe for younger ones, but once that ID is in there, they can't change it unless they swipe to factory default. I'm going with the VISA card thing. You can change your payment choice I assume, so if there is something they want and I want to use my Paypal account, I could probably do it for them, and then remove it as a payment method.

I do agree that this begging thing is sounding quite good. They should have points just like Xbox, Wii and Playstation so you can buy them for the kids and they could spend them on App World.
    12-21-11 07:45 PM
    I still think App World Points Cards for sale at Best Buy, FutureShop, Safeway, etc is a good thing. Not only does it make it easy to buy apps for people; but it also helps increase RIM's presence in the eyes of the consumers, i.e., standing in line to pay for groceries, now I see Itunes cards, Playstaiton Cards and Xbox Cards. Would be nice to see Blackberry Cards there too. Impulse buying plus visual presence
    LolaPagoda likes this.
    12-21-11 09:05 PM
    My kids all wanted angry birds. I purchased it on my Playbook and then they went into App World and downloaded it. Simple and done.
    @jamesharmeling You might have answered my question. I have a PB. My kids (young kids) always want to play with it, watch movies,etc. It gets sticky, greasy plus the risk that they drop it (I'm using it it every day during my commute).

I would like to buy them a PB. My question is, if I buy an app under my BBID and download it on PB #1, can they use a different PB (PB #2) and download it for free?
    12-22-11 12:04 PM
    Get them to setup their own BBID account and get them register a prepaid credit card. It should work fine. I'm using a prepaid on my account currently.

They don't really need to register a credit card or paypal account for BBID to download free apps.
    12-22-11 02:15 PM
    I drive my kids crazy, I just have them on my account, and if they want an app, they come and see mom or dad to put in the password. They are pretty young still though (11+8). Hasn't stopped them from installing a crazy amount of apps.
    12-22-11 03:29 PM
    Well, I almost had a reasonably simple solution...

1. Set up your own paypal account
    2. Set up a BBID for your kids device
    3. Set your paypal account as payment in AppWorld when purchasing an app
    4. When done, UNSET your paypal account from AppWorld so no future purchases can be made.

It seems step #4 is not possible. There is a "change" option which allows you to switch to another account. Perhaps you can set up an account with no payment options attached, which you can leave your kids BBID pointed at indefinitely.
    I thought I'd be able to stop it by changing my PayPal password, but no luck there. Even after changing passwords, it keeps on allowing purchases!? (that sounds like a bug if I ever saw one.. presumably PayPal provides a cookie for future purchases).

Another option would be to set up a paypal account for your kids that you can transfer money into, but otherwise has no credit card associated?

Time to push RIM for a "NONE" option for payments.
    Last edited by FourOhFour; 12-24-11 at 12:02 AM.
    12-23-11 11:56 PM
    Perhaps you can set up an account with no payment options attached, which you can leave your kids BBID pointed at indefinitely.
    I Just confirmed.. this works. (it only took about $10 worth of purchases to verify)

Create 2 paypal accounts for yourself.. one you use to purchase things which has your credit card info, and one which has no payment options.

When finished purchasing for your kids, select another app to purchase and on the confirmation page, switch to your no-payments PayPal account. Purchases are denied, as the balance will be $0.

Alternately, you can always send money to a PayPal account which is set up for your kids to draw from.

Obviously a "none", or "gift" option would be helpful in AppWorld to help streamline this
    12-24-11 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD