Is there an app to play videos that has more controls than the video app installed on the Playbook? I have the VLC Direct app (which I use on other devices and love) but it won't play the videos, it keeps saying it needs wifi to connect even though my wifi is on and working fine. So I was hoping for another app. The feature I especially like in VLC is being able to lighten the screen (with controls like gamma, brightness, contrast). Some videos are quite dark, even with the Playbook at full brightness (as on other devices).
    05-05-15 09:25 AM
    Hmmm, not aware of a native app that can do what you're looking for. However, Kalemsoft Media Player is the strongest video playback app available for the PB. Plays more file formats than the built in player, and you can use it as a DLNA client.

I don't think there are mainly Android sideload options. I used to use mVideoPlayer, and found that to perform well. (The latest version requires Android 4.0 and up, which won't work on the PB. Find an older converted version on APK to Bar Online Converter)
    05-05-15 03:11 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I need very basic info. lol I've never sideloaded (I read a bit about it but gave up when my eyes glazed over) and I don't know what a DLNA client is. I was looking for an app to download from Blackberry World. Kalemsoft Media Player looks good. I may try it, though there's no trial and it's $3 for the app whereas most of the others are around a dollar if not free. Looks like it might be worth it, but what I'm really after is the gamma feature and higher brightness level. It's the one thing I really like about VLC. A shame the one in the app world doesn't work.
    05-05-15 04:17 PM
    I'd definitely recommend Kalemsoft... I have around 30GB of movies on my BP for when I'm traveling. The DLNA client allows me to access the USB HD connected to my router when at home so I can stream any of the DVD movies/Box sets I have ripped on it. I can also play them via HDMI lead on any of the TV's in the house. Best Video app bar none IMHO
    05-06-15 09:55 AM
    Thanks for the Kalemsoft suggestions. I did download it, but it doesn't have what I'm looking for. No brightness boost or gamma control, and it doesn't have a volume control bar like most media players do, something I use a lot (dang movies with whispering talk and blaring music!). So I'm still on the lookout for an app like VLC that has both of those features, if anyone knows of one.
    05-08-15 03:59 PM
    Kalemsoft is better videoplayer for PlayBook. I use it for DLNA and more
    05-18-15 06:51 AM
    I'm picking up Kalemsoft now, based on this thread. The DLNA interests me quite a bit.
    05-18-15 12:00 PM