Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default There are two kinds of Playbook owners...

Those who whine endlessly about RIM and lack of features and apps on PlayBook thinking somehow this will pressure RIM to fix it, and those who chip in to do something about it.

If you are in the first category, you are truly not helping to get what you want, you are making it less likely as you help destroy the public view of this device. Whining and complaining, besides being annoying, doesn't do anyone any favors, including the hands that feed us.

Yes it needs further development, yes it could use more apps, yes the retail push is a disaster, yes the CEO's need to be replaced. But sitting here complaining can do nothing but damage the rep of RIM and PlayBook and give reviewers a feast for negative publicity.

Here's what you can do to help. If you have the urge to complain in the forums, how about using that energy productively instead. It will help us all to get what we want, including those who may be stockholders!

This is not a new idea, there are other threads, but I am starting a new clean one.

The primary problem at the retail outlets seems to be sleeping PlayBooks that nobody knows how to wake up, along with hidden gestures and bezel swipes that nobody has a clue exist. So the demo units sit there with a black screen.

Attached is a nice landscape display aid, explaining the gestures, compliments of the hard work of "togardergrosse" along with some pics of them deployed at the local Blackberry displays at Best Buy and Staples.

Buy a document holder at Staples or Office Depot, it might cost you ten bucks but so what - it's your contribution to the future of your PlayBook.

Walk in with it in a shopping bag, and simply place it next to the PlayBook it's easy- mission accomplished, and thank you for using your energy in a positive way! If there is already one there, you will know there is a fellow Crackhead in your neighborhood that beat you to it.

...and be sure to report back here to encourage others to do the same...

The more PlayBooks are sold, the more resources RIM will have to devote to improving it, and the more app developers will be likely to support it. Simple concept.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails There are two kinds of Playbook owners...-img08853-20110802-1059.jpg   There are two kinds of Playbook owners...-img08855-20110802-1105.jpg   There are two kinds of Playbook owners...-bbpb-bezel-gestures.jpg  
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 08-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Thanked by 7:
    kb08 (08-04-2011),  LewLew23 (08-02-2011),  technology_fanboy (08-02-2011),  thedark722 (08-03-2011),  togardergrosse (08-02-2011),  ubizmo (08-02-2011),  xenomorph113 (08-02-2011) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,662 Global Posts

technically, many people in the first category are actually miscategorized, and actually either do not own a PlayBook or have only played with it a little bit only to have their iPads shoot nicotine/hallucinogenic darts at them.
    Blackberry 10 > Windows Phone 7/8 > Blackberry 7 > iOS > Android > Symbian > WebOS > Meego
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I feel like this suggestion borders on stalking of some kind. Can you stalk a product? It makes me uncomfortable to think that someone would do this.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post
    I feel like this suggestion borders on stalking of some kind. Can you stalk a product? It makes me uncomfortable to think that someone would do this.
    The stalking that should make you uncomfortable is malicious - this is the opposite. How do you feel threatened? I guess we can see which category you fit into.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post
    technically, many people in the first category are actually miscategorized, and actually either do not own a PlayBook or have only played with it a little bit only to have their iPads shoot nicotine/hallucinogenic darts at them.
    True , ok three categories.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)

Sorry, but bad idea! Why should I do all the work for RIM?
    Thanked by 2:
    Rello (08-04-2011),  trsbbs (08-02-2011) 
    scorpiodsu, rbenjami and djdrastic like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I don't know. It just seems inappropriate as if some line is being crossed.
    CrackBerry Addict

cosign with grahamf! The people complaining the most don't have one or used one for 5 minutes in a store w/o even reading up on how it works. And they always give themselves away by launching into some diatribe about how great the iPad is.
    Last edited by tayl0rd; 08-02-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Shlooky View Post
    Sorry, but bad idea! Why should I do all the work for RIM?
    So that you can benefit from it - more apps. more support. Also because RIM is inept and apparently needs help. I thought I explained that, but this is only for the willing. If you think it's a bad idea just don't participate, not sure why you would even leave a comment.
    sk8er_tor, 01itr and peter9477 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0rd View Post
    cosign! The people complaining the most don't have one or used one for 5 minutes in a store w/o even reading up on how it works. And they always give themselves away by launching into some diatribe about how great the iPad is.
    On the contrary, you could make a list of commenters that complain about aspects of the PlayBook without even mentioning other devices. Next time, you might avoid absolute terms like "always."
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by lawguyman View Post
    I don't know. It just seems inappropriate as if some line is being crossed.
    You should not cross it then - but last I checked the line was taking things out of stores or displays, not adding to them....
    If you are uncomfortable simply talk to the manager about helping him to sell his product in this way...
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2BD8C862

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    Those who whine endlessly about lack of features and apps on PlayBook thinking somehow this will pressure RIM to fix it, and those who chip in to do something about it.

If you are in the first category, you are truly not helping to get what you want, you are making it less likely as you help destroy the public view of this device. Whining and complaining, besides being annoying, doesn't do anyone any favors, including the hands that feed us.

Yes it needs further development, yes it could use more apps, yes the retail push is a disaster, yes the CEO's need to be replaced. But sitting here complaining can do nothing but damage the rep of RIM and PlayBook and give reviewers a feast for negative publicity.

Here's what you can do to help. If you have the urge to complain in the forums, how about using that energy productively instead. It will help us all to get what we want, including those who may be stockholders!

This is not a new idea, there are other threads, but I am starting a new clean one.

The primary problem at the retail outlets seems to be sleeping PlayBooks that nobody knows how to wake up, along with hidden gestures and bezel swipes that nobody has a clue exist. So the demo units sit there with a black screen.

Attached is a nice landscape display aid, explaining the gestures, compliments of the hard work of "togardergrosse" along with some pics of them deployed at the local Blackberry displays at Best Buy and Staples.

Buy a document holder at Staples or Office Depot, it might cost you ten bucks but so what - it's your contribution to the future of your PlayBook.

Walk in with it in a shopping bag, and simply place it next to the PlayBook it's easy- mission accomplished, and thank you for using your energy in a positive way! If there is already one there, you will know there is a fellow Crackhead in your neighborhood that beat you to it.

...and be sure to report back here to encourage others to do the same...

The more PlayBooks are sold, the more resources RIM will have to devote to improving it, and the more app developers will be likely to support it. Simple concept.
    Kudos to you!!!
    and thanks to have the time and energy to explain to some ignorant people that only like to complain instead of seeing the whole picture, again wery well done
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    For the ladies only :-)

Yeah I read your post, so you want people to pay money, and personal time/gas costs bus/subway whatever to visit every outlet that sells the playbook, to place a little document on how to use the playbook?????
    While RIM and the outlet stores sit back watching people come into stores and do work for them?

I repeat...bad idea and inappropriate! My perspective anyway, but to each their own. You have the money and energy, by all means go for it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Yet another category you missed !!

You missed (at least ) one more category.

Those who really own PB and;

- Who know/knew how to make good use of the PB as it is with its current features and functionality. and they continue to do so without complaining too much - like me

- Who have very limited expectations in terms of world of apps for every single activity in life (to say the least) again like me

- Who do not believe in unnecessary comparison with 'I' things or the 'O' things, what they have or don't. hmm again like meeeee

- Who are mature enough to let RIM figure out the next course of action should be, since it is not their business (to daily whine about it on CB). Yeap you guessed it right, like me

Hmm .. enough for now. ... to be continued ..
    Thanks,
    VN - PB 32GB, BB 9700 Bold AT&T ULDP
    Thanked by 2:
    I am JT (08-02-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Economist101 View Post
    On the contrary, you could make a list of commenters that complain about aspects of the PlayBook without even mentioning other devices. Next time, you might avoid absolute terms like "always."
    I've read enough reviews and comments about the PlayBook to make anybody's eyes crossed. Not ONCE have I read one where the poster didn't extoll the virtues of the iPad and/or Android tablet of some kind. So I'll stick to my broad generalization as it pertains to my experience, thanks.
    pbbd002 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Whenever I walk by one in whatever store I always look at the PB and see if it needs fixing up and or updating. If it does i'll do that. I also then update apps that are on it, and download some other good ones that are out there if they're not already on it. Then I'll make sure it's settings are correct for when I leave it alone lol.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,358 Global Posts

I "sold" a guy on a PlayBook...and a girl on an iPad. I'll be in Houston for a few days and will have the fortune of meeting with some company President. I will see if I can sell him on PlayBooks for his company haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by tayl0rd View Post
    cosign with grahamf! The people complaining the most don't have one or used one for 5 minutes in a store w/o even reading up on how it works. And they always give themselves away by launching into some diatribe about how great the iPad is.
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamf View Post

I don't disagree at all - but I did say "PlayBook owners" for my two mentioned categories...
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Quote Originally Posted by Shlooky View Post
    Yeah I read your post, so you want people to pay money, and personal time/gas costs bus/subway whatever to visit every outlet that sells the playbook, to place a little document on how to use the playbook?????
    While RIM and the outlet stores sit back watching people come into stores and do work for them?

I repeat...bad idea and inappropriate! My perspective anyway, but to each their own. You have the money and energy, by all means go for it.
    I don't want anyone to do anything they are not willing to do or uncomfortable doing. It is a suggestion, not a command. Learn the difference.
    You are assigned to category 1. No participation requested. Be happy!
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Quote Originally Posted by Amy wineBerry View Post
    I "sold" a guy on a PlayBook...and a girl on an iPad. I'll be in Houston for a few days and will have the fortune of meeting with some company President. I will see if I can sell him on PlayBooks for his company haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Love the duality of your nature, along with the strange common sense notion that two pads can actually exist on the market at the same time and fill different niches. We don't have to sit here comparing apples with oranges all day.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    ... If you are uncomfortable simply talk to the manager about helping him to sell his product in this way...
    Please, if anyone has done this I would be fascinated to know their response. Positive, negative, disbelief, whatever.

Thanks - R.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    590 Global Posts

what i do, i tell my friends how awesome the device is. this way, i counter the bad publicity and hopefully convince them to get one.
    CrackBerry User

Oh wow . We are already dividing the community ?

As small as it is ?
    Great plan.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

Well, I did check for updates and enable the in store demo at a local staples the other day. Most of the tablets were together while the playbook was on an end way off all by itself.

Btw, the password for demo mode is 'instoredemo'.
    CrackBerry Genius

Theres always the third kind..i just saw the movie the other day..
    How about the other pb forums? Are they similar to cb, on playbook?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast