I've currently got a 16gb model and ran through all of my storage on my device. As soon as I got it I splurged on a bunch of apps and ran it down to 8gb left in storage. I tossed on 1/5 of my music library and ended up filling it.

Cue 6 months later and I only have 5gb of usable storage with only apps on it (mainly due to Modern Combat 2 and Asphalt 6 being so huge), and having to transfer small portions of my my library back and forth is seriously making me angry. I absolutely love the device but I've come to realize that I needed to pick up a 64gb model and not the 16gb. I've ended up not bringing it with me a lot of times because it doesn't have all of my files on it.

It's gotten to the point that I think I should just buy a 64gb Playbook and give my current playbook to my brother (or keep it around as a back up). At the same time, I kind of feel like I'm wasting money by buying the exact same device with the only difference being the memory on it. It's a year old device and I'm worried there will be a revision soon. We know for sure there's going to be a 3G Playbook, but has there been any rumors towards a new wifi Playbook?

One of my friends bought an original iPad 3 weeks before the iPad 2 was announced and I definitely don't want to get into a situation like that.
    04-03-12 11:37 PM
    Take it at face value, but I had lunch a couple of weeks ago with a RIM executive and he told me that the new PlayBook would come out about Q2. All new models will include WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G (he might have said LTE but I'm pretty sure it was 3G), all would have 32GB of internal memory rather than the 16, 32 or 64GB option and a microSD slot for expansion.
    04-04-12 01:27 AM
    that would be great
    04-04-12 01:32 AM
    Take it at face value, but I had lunch a couple of weeks ago with a RIM executive and he told me that the new PlayBook would come out about Q2. All new models will include WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G (he might have said LTE but I'm pretty sure it was 3G), all would have 32GB of internal memory rather than the 16, 32 or 64GB option and a microSD slot for expansion.
    Frankly, if anyone in a business knew this type of information for sure, they would also know not to mention it to someone else prior to press releases etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the next iteration of the PB as much as anyone else - I'm more than perfectly happy with my PB as it is, and a new 3g version will be absolutely awesome, but this is totally unconfirmed, against everything we have heard, and highly unlikely.

Flame away at me if you like, and I really hope you can turn round in a few weeks and tell me how wrong I was. I will stand and take it like I would deserve.

OP - if you need one now, get one now. If you can wait, wait. There will always be a new version of something just after you've bought the current one.
    Cracklen and Pearl9100 like this.
    04-04-12 02:30 AM
    One thing to consider is, unlike the ipad example, that if a new model is released, prices will almost certainly go up- at least from the fire sale prices currently available. RIM is likely losing money at the current prices, and that can't continue for any length of time.
    04-04-12 02:53 AM
    I thought RIM claimed that they suffer a huge loss on the Playbook? Now they're planning to release a new model?
    04-04-12 03:04 AM
    3G model with 1.5GHz dual core rumors for May release but I who knows, might never come out and might be expensive or need a 3 year data plan.

32GB is serving me well, all my music including many 1-2 mixes at 320 bits, thousands of photos, lots of big game apps and still 3.6GB left. Don't really need all those pictures, have some cleanup to do.
    Last edited by hpulley; 04-04-12 at 05:28 AM.
    04-04-12 05:25 AM
    I've currently got a 16gb model and ran through all of my storage on my device. As soon as I got it I splurged on a bunch of apps and ran it down to 8gb left in storage. I tossed on 1/5 of my music library and ended up filling it.

Cue 6 months later and I only have 5gb of usable storage with only apps on it (mainly due to Modern Combat 2 and Asphalt 6 being so huge), and having to transfer small portions of my my library back and forth is seriously making me angry. I absolutely love the device but I've come to realize that I needed to pick up a 64gb model and not the 16gb. I've ended up not bringing it with me a lot of times because it doesn't have all of my files on it.

It's gotten to the point that I think I should just buy a 64gb Playbook and give my current playbook to my brother (or keep it around as a back up). At the same time, I kind of feel like I'm wasting money by buying the exact same device with the only difference being the memory on it. It's a year old device and I'm worried there will be a revision soon. We know for sure there's going to be a 3G Playbook, but has there been any rumors towards a new wifi Playbook?

One of my friends bought an original iPad 3 weeks before the iPad 2 was announced and I definitely don't want to get into a situation like that.

Wait! There is another option here. LAN File Explorer. It can stream media from your PC to your PlayBook! So you don't need to have all your media on your tablet. It can even go from PC to Playbook to HD TV! It will also transfer other files between PC and PB. You should check it out and at .99 cents it's a bargain!
    04-04-12 07:44 AM
    I thought RIM claimed that they suffer a huge loss on the Playbook? Now they're planning to release a new model?
    Maybe it will form part of their 'redirection'. Perhaps if they master the business functions/applications, and get full BB phone support (answer calls etc), it would be a winner

Just throwing ideas out though!
    04-04-12 07:45 AM
    They will most likely be releasing a 3G, HSPA+, 4G LTE.
    04-04-12 07:47 AM
    Was it a huge loss if it were R&D?
    04-04-12 08:10 AM
    I don't think so, as far as i understand the new CEO has made some big shifts in RIM's strategy.

From now on they wont push to release new products fast, just for the sake of releasing another model, but RIM will release new products that give a plus over the previous version.
    04-04-12 08:36 AM
    I'd bet the new PB is announced at BB World in a month.
    04-04-12 08:37 AM
    Perhaps, but the PB is a test bed of BB10 and radio integration is the next phase.
    Lastly the wifi only PB suffered as there was little networks' support but with 3G and LTE this may not happen.
    RIM overestimated the demand of the, otherwise under-equipped and under-'apped' PB. Both of which has changed favourably. I am sure they have definitely learned their lessons here.

Right now if you hand a 3G/LTE PB to a techie for a review, besides going on about retina displays and few apps I can't imagine what they would slate as rabidly as they did earlier; except a messages app that works in landscape only and a calender app icon that does not display the day's date.

This version may yet ship with all these fixed and as it will come with a data plan, a BlackBerry email client and native BBM. Suddenly it will be hard to argue with.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 04-04-12 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typos
    04-04-12 08:40 AM
    I have a mate who's an IT/Business professional working in a bank. He claimed that his company was not going to buy into the playbook, after they had run unsatisfactory internal tests with OS 1. He said they heard industry rumours floating around that the device will be discontinued and soon after software support as well.

It was a very conflicting piece of news in the sense that BBX as we know, is going to be supported on the Playbook. Furthermore, with the prices being slashed in most places, it only makes sense to extend the product life cycle to recoup the maximum development and manufacturing costs possible.

I would really love to see a new playbook with a better screen and a Wifi+3G/4G model. That would be amazing and a very big temptation for me in all honesty.
    04-04-12 09:02 AM
    If a new version is going to be released at all, it will be well after the iPad hype has died down. I think other tablet manufacturers are waiting on the same.

I wouldn't buy a Playbook now in any case. I have a feeling that most of RIM's resources are going toward the desperate effort at releasing BB10 on time and complete. At this point, its about saving the company and right now developing a new tablet that may or may not work out is not going to save them -- a fantastic new smartphone will.

That being said, it could be the next PB has already been developed and component/manufacturing contracts signed. If that is the case, then we may see one more version in limited release.
    04-04-12 09:23 AM
    Frankly, if anyone in a business knew this type of information for sure, they would also know not to mention it to someone else prior to press releases etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the next iteration of the PB as much as anyone else - I'm more than perfectly happy with my PB as it is, and a new 3g version will be absolutely awesome, but this is totally unconfirmed, against everything we have heard, and highly unlikely.

Flame away at me if you like, and I really hope you can turn round in a few weeks and tell me how wrong I was. I will stand and take it like I would deserve.

OP - if you need one now, get one now. If you can wait, wait. There will always be a new version of something just after you've bought the current one.
    If he didn't have lunch with him...why he would said that? You sound jealous to me... That's something we have seen in the past months,pictures of the next PlayBook and time line of RIM products, you're trying to make him sound like he is out of is mind,like he is saying...'skype and netflix are coming to this OS next week ' he is just saying something we already know is coming but we just don't know when, just let people post whatever they want
    04-04-12 09:36 AM
    Perhaps, but the PB is a test bed of BB10 and radio integration is the next phase.
    Lastly the wifi only PB suffered as there was little networks' support but with 3G and LTE this may not happen.
    RIM overestimated the demand of the, otherwise under-equipped and under-'apped' PB. Both of which has changed favourably. I am sure they have definitely learned their lessons here.

Right now if you hand a 3G/LTE PB to a techie for a review, besides going on about retina displays and few apps I can't imagine what they would slate as rabidly as they did earlier; except a messages app that works in landscape only and a calender app icon that does not display the day's date.

This version may yet ship with all these fixed and as it will come with a data plan, a BlackBerry email client and native BBM. Suddenly it will be hard to argue with.
    In my opinion... even with the current hardware,if they have the most have apps,they would be winners!! But they just rely on flash and full browsing support would be enough to please people.. And they learned the hard way that's not what people want!! People want the newest and coolest apps, and if besides that you give them full or almost full browser then you be the undisputed champion,but sadly you just can't use skype without downloading their software. I'm just using (skype as an example ) that was the part they forgot,some of the coolest things on the web need support or plug in and rim doesn't allow you to do that. I just hope the next PlayBook come whit all the apps, because doesn't matter how beautiful is the hardware or how many cool commercials you do... I just not what people want! I love my PlayBook,so I just want and wish the best for all of us!
    04-04-12 10:02 AM
    Can it play .MKV files??

- Charles
    04-04-12 10:47 AM

Yeah, hence the warning of "at face value". We work with RIM very close here in LatAm because we're one of the largest Carrier groups and have helped them grow in the region while the rest of the markets bow down before Android and iOS.

I think RIM is learning from some of their mistakes; from all the reps I've talked to in the last few months, none have kept with the "RIM will never" policy that used to rule their PR and product leaks.

Remember when "RIM will never" put cameras in their phones? or "will never" tend to the consumer market? or "will never" add multimedia capabilities? or "will never" get rid of the side wheel? or "will never" something or another?

We would get those promises 6 months and then get a prototype we needed for certification in our network would show up and do the exact opposite. We've grown used to RIM employees keeping secrets to their graves, but at this point they've decided to change ways. I think they've learned that part of the hype is information leak.

Don't get me wrong, I trust the people I work with, but I think that if the final product was planned to be released in Q2, then we would've heard something by now. So while the date seems unlikely, I think the hardware description sounds logical; standardize the specs to achieve faster economy of scale (quad band all around, only one memory size) and let the users further customize their tablet; carrier sim and microSD to your heart's content.
    Cracklen likes this.
    04-04-12 10:50 AM
    I think you confused your meeting with the Easter Bunny, or the conference call with Santa Claus and the Great Pumpkin, with lunch with a RIM executive. No RIM executive would relay such information since they would be immediately jeopardizing their job. If a new device even exists, anyone who knows has signed a NDA and will certainly not be mentioning it here, unless they like litigation and (definitely) losing their livelihood....
    Barljo and Hobbes2099 like this.
    04-04-12 08:00 PM
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. Should I start calling you names now, or can we start behaving like adults for 3 minutes?

How is anyone's job on the line for releasing information on the next tablet? Are sales at risk? Are people going to NOT buy a PlayBook because of a rumor post on the Internet?

Of course there's an NDA between the companies, I've been working with them for years. Tech companies use leaks and rumors all the time. Do you think the lost iPhones cost anyone a job? The leaked Android OS? BlackBerry 10 is being released to developers at WES and the first commercially available phone will be sold in November. If they're lucky and don't have the same troubles they faced when developing for QNX.

But hey; don't believe me. I look forward to you eating your words in the coming months.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-05-12 06:41 PM
    i call BS also, theres no way they would release another tablet when they cant get this one right, and its NOT the hardware thats the problem, the only reason the playbook didnt sell was because the software is awful, its getting better but its got a long way to go, the last thing RIM would want now is another faster better tablet but with this abismal software on it.

That is unless they release it with BB10 and kick the original PB to the curb.
    04-05-12 07:33 PM
    Of course there's an NDA between the companies, I've been working with them for years. Tech companies use leaks and rumors all the time. Do you think the lost iPhones cost anyone a job?
    How about an iPad?

Steve Wozniak: An Apple Engineer Was Fired For Showing Me An iPad 3G - Business Insider

"Steve says Apple told the engineer that he could take the iPad out of a secured Apple
    area after midnight on April 3. But he was not supposed to show the iPad to anyone.
    (Even though Woz is an Apple employee.)

Steve says he later talked to Steve Jobs about the iPad, mentioned what the engineer did,
    and Jobs said, "It's no big deal."

Regardless, the engineer ended up being fired. He knowingly revealed an Apple product
    ahead of time and for that, says Steve Wozniak, he lost his job."
    04-05-12 08:42 PM
    Hardware. Wise, pb is enough for. Me. I would rather they spend time on software. I don't think PB has hardware problem, I think PB has customer experience. Issue
    04-05-12 10:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD