I am a big Playbook fan - it disappoints me slightly that the tablet software isn't finished, but every OS update makes the Playbook better IMHO.

Even the iPad fanbois I've shown it to think it's really neat. Most of them even cite the 7inch size as a plus!

The new OS update brought us "intelligent tethering" so we can use the internet even when we don't have WiFi. All the posts I've seen rightly rave over this huge improvement in Playbook useability. So why was it kept such a secret RIM?

The only "official" statement I've seen from RIM talks about improved connectivity to WEP and faster bridge connections - yawn. It was just as well the press release was so short, I was starting to nod-off reading it!

When OS 2.0 arrives, maybe you could ermm... you know... like actually announce what the changes are? Some new people might even be tempted to buy a Playbook if they knew it could do some of the good stuff they want?

No, no. What am I saying!

RIM is quite right. Keep the features of the Playbook a secret known only to the loyal fans who read the Crackberry forums. Who needs new buyers and increased market share anyway.

Doh!
    08-28-11 04:26 PM
    I agree. It's pretty ridiculous that they don't tell anyone of these features.
    08-28-11 04:28 PM
    Maybe they wanted to test the water with the carriers before marketing what may need to be removed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 04:39 PM
    It could be a ploy for the 2.0 relaunch.
    I thought that too except rim never announces anything..... seems almost like the OP implied, that in a very very competitive sector where tablets are coming out and going belly up in a few months, rim isnt even trying.

And whats worse, when they do give info, particularly release and target dates, they miss it (android app is obviously NOT going to be out late aug or early sept now).

Mastajeet likes this.
    08-28-11 04:42 PM
    I thought that too except rim never announces anything..... seems almost like the OP implied, that in a very very competitive sector where tablets are coming out and going belly up in a few months, rim isnt even trying.

And whats worse, when they do give info, particularly release and target dates, they miss it (android app is obviously NOT going to be out late aug or early sept now).

Why obviously? I'm inclined to agree, but at the same time August isn't even over yet. But I get it, everybody is antsy
    08-28-11 04:58 PM
    I'm thinking that RIM is setting the stage for the 2.0 release. The latest update being a test bed to see how the addition of various features mesh together and what glitches/conflicts might have to be addressed. The latest feature, the supported apps via bridged 3g service, is very clever and RIM barely mentioned it. Gotta be a reason for playing your cards close to the vest.
    08-28-11 05:02 PM
    Maybe they are trying to keep it hush-hush so the carriers dont try to lock it down like ATT did with Bridge browser.
    08-28-11 05:08 PM
    I'm thinking that RIM is setting the stage for the 2.0 release. The latest update being a test bed to see how the addition of various features mesh together and what glitches/conflicts might have to be addressed. The latest feature, the supported apps via bridged 3g service, is very clever and RIM barely mentioned it. Gotta be a reason for playing your cards close to the vest.
    Let's hope so
    08-28-11 05:08 PM
    Bridge supported android apps? That would be simply killer.
    08-28-11 05:14 PM
    Hmm... I don't mean to be too cynical, but your faith in RIM's PR and Marketing machine is touching.

You may be right that this is a cunning plan involving waiting until the big OS2 release when a huge list of features is announced to an eager world and world+wife realises what a fine tablet the Playbook is and curses themselves for not seeing the light earlier.

Unfortunately, in the world I inhabit, stupidity and foul-ups are the norm... and cunning masterplans succeed only in Hollywood blockbusters.

I guess time will tell if the RIM Marketing Machine are awesome or also-rans.
    FF22, Wretch 12, steve911 and 2 others like this.
    08-28-11 05:14 PM
    Hmm... I don't mean to be too cynical, but your faith in RIM's PR and Marketing machine is touching.

You may be right that this is a cunning plan involving waiting until the big OS2 release when a huge list of features is announced to an eager world and world+wife realises what a fine tablet the Playbook is and curses themselves for not seeing the light earlier.

Unfortunately, in the world I inhabit, stupidity and foul-ups are the norm... and cunning masterplans succeed only in Hollywood blockbusters.

I guess time will tell if the RIM Marketing Machine are awesome or also-rans.
    Couldn't have articulated that better
    08-28-11 05:26 PM
    I believe RIM is being very quiet about the Playbook now purposefully because they want to draw attention to it when OS 2.0 hits. I think they are going to get all of the major sites to review the Playbook again since it will be feature complete (and then some) and launch a major ad blitz.

They need the Playbook to be accepted as a major player in the tablet market before they launch the QNX phones, and this is just the calm before the storm.

08-28-11 06:08 PM
    Maybe they are trying to keep it hush-hush so the carriers dont try to lock it down like ATT did with Bridge browser.
    I completely agree. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they came out and said they had eliminated the need to pay for tethering.
    anon(490042) likes this.
    08-28-11 06:21 PM
    I completely agree. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they came out and said they had eliminated the need to pay for tethering.

RIM has horrid and borderline useless release notes. Either they have such poor bug monitoring and development siftware that they truly don't know what was fixed. Or they know that using the app data via bridge is simply not reliable enough to be counted a feauture.

Trust me the last thing they care about is carriers and tethering. They probably excluded it for a reason. Doesnt matter ti me either way, I have Wifi eveywhere with free tethering and bridge. Good for those who need it though but another feature added thats of no value to me

But at least they are doing something.
    08-28-11 08:10 PM
    Perhaps they learn something with the case with AT&T and accidentally allowed Bridge mode to utilize the connection in apps.
    From what I see, RIM should give helluva reason for us to update (eliminating the bridge connection for non-bridge app) otherwise, we will stick to this OS version. Which means something good like native email/pim/android/bb java should be on the next update.
    08-28-11 09:24 PM
    Couldn't agree with you more. It's time they get some swagger back and get behind the brand once again.
    08-28-11 09:46 PM
    I agreee with the OP
    If you don't follow crackberry you won't know, and that's bad

08-28-11 10:21 PM
    With an R&D budget that eclipses that of Apples in some regards over the past two years....RIM is definitely working on something BIG! According to some. The security and access to many departments is stiff and the security very tight!

What this all boils down to is Jim B and Mike L could care less what anyone thinks of them and are focusing on dropping some really cool products and services! IMHO of course.

Not to mention the RIM guys probably want to keep the stock price low for a bit so their inner circle can have a field day buying up stock left, right and center
    Ya, problem is... When they finally "drop" these super cool products... No one will even know about it, because RIM is CRUMMY with letting people know anything... The pb could fly to mars and we wouldn't know it...

kb5zht likes this.
    08-29-11 11:55 AM
    Ya, problem is... When they finally "drop" these super cool products... No one will even know about it, because RIM is CRUMMY with letting people know anything... The pb could fly to mars and we wouldn't know it...

What do you really expect? When they do make ads, they are quite good. Its not like Apple or Google launch ads with every new feature they add to their OS. I just dont really get where that mentality comes from?

Apple commercials show off Voice + Data and Facetime. Anything else is just their 3rd party Apps. The existing Playbook commercials have probably (maybe not though) shown off more functionality than iOS has ever shown.
    08-29-11 12:17 PM
    RIM is silent maybe because they fired also their Marketing guys... just kidding... seriously, not sure how "silence" will sell or promote your product specially if you are improving...
    08-29-11 03:26 PM
    What do you really expect? When they do make ads, they are quite good. Its not like Apple or Google launch ads with every new feature they add to their OS. I just dont really get where that mentality comes from?

Apple commercials show off Voice + Data and Facetime. Anything else is just their 3rd party Apps. The existing Playbook commercials have probably (maybe not though) shown off more functionality than iOS has ever shown.
    But they don't tell _US_ the current users either. Unless someone discovers bridge works on other apps, what/how are we suppose to realize rim has improved the device.
    08-29-11 03:40 PM
    But they don't tell _US_ the current users either. Unless someone discovers bridge works on other apps, what/how are we suppose to realize rim has improved the device.
    The same place you find out about a lot of upcoming and already implemented features....here.

Didn't ya know? CB is RIM's marketing dept...and technical support..hmmmm, and Beta Testing....lmao

What was it? Post number three or four before someone (many someones) mentioned the new Bridge/App connection.
    08-29-11 03:58 PM
    RIM is silent maybe because they fired also their Marketing guys... just kidding... seriously, not sure how "silence" will sell or promote your product specially if you are improving...
    Question: How do you want them to promote their products?

They are still getting brutalized on the blogs, which is probably the best way to reach a younger audience. I've noticed recently that the opinion on the blogs is starting to shift a little bit for the better and I believe that a successful Tablet OS 2.0 launch will certainly help them here. RIM needs to prove that they can actually do something and this is it.
    08-29-11 09:01 PM
    Yes. Having it there and shouting it from the rooftops is another thing. Remember how little specific info RIM even gave about the bridging before the PB release? All the threads on here discussing what RIM meant when they said you could use your phone's data plan, etc.? Then RIM never really tried to clear up all that.

So at launch when the carriers got their hands on it, I think they where like WTH? I think AT&T decided to stand RIM down, while VZW/Sprint/TMO were willing to let it slide. After all BlackBerry sales had been declining for all these carriers. If the PlayBook had failed and RIM share kept sliding to nil they'd have made a PR stink over nothing since there would be little impact on their tethering revenue anyway.

So now, RIM's improved the bridge greatly. At some point it might be seamless with all apps. And as the OS7 phones sell well and lifts the PB sales we might see some concerns with the other carriers. I think RIM is trying to figure out how to build in the bridging, with carriers' tacit support, and make that up to the carriers some way if the sales take off. I do not think they have an answer at this point.
    08-29-11 09:14 PM
    Question: How do you want them to promote their products?
    There are countless ways rim can do this. They have a website that could have a dedicated page(s) for OS update changelogs. At least they are heavily advertising the playbook now.

By their own admission RIM doesnt "comment or respond on [upcoming devices, developments, etc]". Comments to that effect have come from the mouths of rim spokespeople, leaving you to ask "then what is your job then?"
    08-30-11 05:28 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD