Searched on the forum for the best awnser but couldn't find it so maybe some of you guys can help. Since a few weeks I'm an happy owner of a Playbook. Now I want to start using tethering on my Playbook so I can have internet on my tablet while I'm at college. I have a iPhone 3G (yes the very old one, even the Curve 8520 is faster :P) as smartphone but I can't make any connection via bluetooth. I took every step correctly but the Playbook keeps saying get your phone in range, make sure bluetooth is on etc etc.

So I figured what if I try my mothers Galaxy S Plus, and that worked! So I picked up the Samsung Star (I love old phones ) from my room to try and like the Galaxy the Star could make a connection as well. I don't need a tether data plan because here in the Netherlands we are allowed to do that.

I am not a routined rooter, so that is not an option for me.. The iPhone model is 3G and not 3GS, just for your information.

So I can't really figure what's going on. Can you guys tell me what to do (keep your comments like ''get a bb smartphone'' for yourself because that is to easy).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by CR1691; 07-18-12 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added more text
    07-18-12 12:30 PM
    I don't believe you will be able to create a BlueTooth tether session with your 3G.

You can use any smartphone which has the ability to create its own hotspot. Then you will connect to that device via WiFi vs. BT tether.

I can do this with my BlackBerry 9900, for example. It allows me to BlueTooth Bridge, BlueTooth Tether, and then WiFi hotspot. The hotspot will be your only option with the iPhone, I believe.
    07-18-12 12:56 PM
    I can't create my own hotspots with my 3G since he is running iOS 4.2.1, that is newest and last software update Apple gave the device. So I guess I have to wait until my contract expires in late december and pick up the iPhone 5 or maybe wait a month longer for a BB10 device...
    saint613 likes this.
    07-18-12 01:10 PM
    Just jailbreak the iPhone and download a tethering app from Cydia. I used my original 2G iPhone as a portable hotspot for about 4 years. Worked perfectly, and didn't have to sign up for a tethering plan with AT&T. :-)
    07-18-12 01:53 PM
    Just jailbreak the iPhone and download a tethering app from Cydia. I used my original 2G iPhone as a portable hotspot for about 4 years. Worked perfectly, and didn't have to sign up for a tethering plan with AT&T. :-)
    But how can I jailbreak my iPhone the easy way? I jailbreaked my iPod touch years ago with jailbreakme but that isn't availeble for iOS 4.2.1 anymore...
    07-18-12 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD