Has anyone been able to tether a PlayBook with Sprint?

When I try the Sprint pulldown it gets as far as "acquiring IP address" and fails.

I even tried calling Sprint to see if I needed to add something to my Sprint plan and they couldn't tell me what to do.
    04-22-11 09:05 AM
    Has anyone been able to tether a PlayBook with Sprint?

When I try the Sprint pulldown it gets as far as "acquiring IP address" and fails.

I even tried calling Sprint to see if I needed to add something to my Sprint plan and they couldn't tell me what to do.
    I dont think this will help much, but my multiple calls to Sprint have resulted in some info. Similar to most providers I am hearing about they want you to add the "Phone as Modem" service to your account, which I was not happy about. I have read Verizon and some others doing the same but for more money (Sprint said 14.99). I wish we could get providers to treat all content the same but that said this seems to be the industry standard. If anyone finds a way for this not to be the case, I would love a workaround.
    04-22-11 09:11 AM
    If you sign into your account on sprint.com, in your plan details, click Change Your Services and using the new store (doesn't show up in the normal (old) store), there's an option for the BlackBerry Tablet Connection for $29.99 (which if you ask me is too much. $10-15 and I would bite). This will allow for tethering.
    04-22-11 09:14 AM
    Please can anybody help with this? has anyone done it successfully and if so, what BB are you using?
    04-22-11 09:15 AM
    oh i saw this after posting. i guess when i think about there are very few times i would need it anyway. i wanted to give it a try because bridge browser is somehow much slower after update.
    Last edited by mom21; 04-22-11 at 09:22 AM.
    04-22-11 09:16 AM
    Is the $29.99 for their upcoming 4G playbook? For those who have a wifi only playbook now, how is it going to work?

I encountered the same problem with internet tethering as the original poster. If it is $15/month and to make my phone a modem, I may just take it. It is 50 cents a day.
    bigchico68 likes this.
    04-22-11 09:24 AM
    I have a rooted HTC Evo Shift, I don't have a PAM plan, and I can connect just fine using WiFi tether
    04-22-11 09:30 AM
    Is the $29.99 for their upcoming 4G playbook? For those who have a wifi only playbook now, how is it going to work?

I encountered the same problem with internet tethering as the original poster. If it is $15/month and to make my phone a modem, I may just take it. It is 50 cents a day.
    That $29.99 is actually attached to your phone to allow for the bluetooth internet tethering with a wifi only PB.

My guess is for the 4G PB, they're going have some $60 plan like they have for the Galaxy Tab.
    04-22-11 09:32 AM
    On the phone with customer service again, hopefully I will have a walk through for everyone on Sprint to get this done the least expensive way.

Edit: After paying the phone as modem fee (was only able to get one month free) tethering is now working, looks like this is the best way for now until someone smarter than I comes up with it.
    Last edited by canadaduck22; 04-22-11 at 10:42 AM.
    04-22-11 10:00 AM
    I use 'FreeTether' on a Palm Pre. Works like a charm. No extra plan.
    04-22-11 10:25 AM
    Canadaduck,

Thank you for the info. Do you mean that you are using your phone as a modem now? Are you using 3G? How does that compare to the bridge brower speed?
    I hope Sprint in US will not charge me more than you.
    04-22-11 10:59 AM
    i dont care about sprint blackberry tether, i have bb 9330, it maxes out 500kbps, it is horrible...slow and can't stand it...
    04-22-11 11:06 AM
    Canadaduck,

Thank you for the info. Do you mean that you are using your phone as a modem now? Are you using 3G? How does that compare to the bridge brower speed?
    I hope Sprint in US will not charge me more than you.
    Yeah long story on the user-name, but I am in the US.

PAM results: (phone signal is terrible in my office only 2 bars of 1XEV)

PAM is about 1/2 the bandwidth of my WIFI connection.
    Bridge browser is about 1/2 the bandwidth of PAM (I assume this will be better when i'm mobile which is the main application of PAM.)
    04-22-11 11:23 AM
    Canadaduck,

Just came back from a Sprint store. They said the lowest is $30 for either tethering or hot spot. They pushed me to return my wifi only and get their 4G playbook when it arrive in couple months. They said they are receiving training on the 4G playbook now, so it is definitely coming soon. I will be paying less than $300 for a 4G playbook, but of course need a 2 year contract for a data plan, which can run up to $60/month.
    04-22-11 11:34 AM
    Canadaduck,

Just came back from a Sprint store. They said the lowest is $30 for either tethering or hot spot. They pushed me to return my wifi only and get their 4G playbook when it arrive in couple months. They said they are receiving training on the 4G playbook now, so it is definitely coming soon. I will be paying less than $300 for a 4G playbook, but of course need a 2 year contract for a data plan, which can run up to $60/month.
    Well that's not fair, all I did was talk to customer service, I would suggest calling and asking to add Phone as a Modem to your account. Within seconds of her saying she added it the tether magically started working. The Sprint stores are only concerned with selling new phones and new devices try customer service and know what you are asking for.
    04-22-11 01:11 PM
    I use 'FreeTether' on a Palm Pre. Works like a charm. No extra plan.
    Through USB, or over WIFI/Bluetooth?
    04-22-11 06:18 PM
    Well that's not fair, all I did was talk to customer service, I would suggest calling and asking to add Phone as a Modem to your account. Within seconds of her saying she added it the tether magically started working. [...]
    I called Sprint twice and was told that PAM is no longer offered. The second rep tried pretty hard but simply could not do anything for me. The replacement option is called Hotspot which is not available for the Bold 9650. If anyone had success getting to work and what to ask of Sprint specifically, I am all ears. Thanks!
    04-24-11 05:17 PM

The 29.99 is charged if you have a blackberry phone so that you can use the blk berry bridge. Ive tried it however and it works without that on your plan, so i am curious if paying that will add some other features. Probably not.
    04-24-11 08:26 PM
    The 29.99 is charged if you have a blackberry phone so that you can use the blk berry bridge. Ive tried it however and it works without that on your plan, so i am curious if paying that will add some other features. Probably not.
    Blackberry bridge works for free however tethering does not. please search the front page if you're wondering the difference.

sprint has added a 'blackberry tablet connection" just for tether a blackberry to the playbook. if the rep you are talking to doesnt know what you are talking about ask to speak to a manager. you can also add this service on sprint.com.
    04-24-11 08:31 PM
    If you sign into your account on sprint.com, in your plan details, click Change Your Services and using the new store (doesn't show up in the normal (old) store), there's an option for the BlackBerry Tablet Connection for $29.99 (which if you ask me is too much. $10-15 and I would bite). This will allow for tethering.
    this is how it is done.
    04-24-11 08:34 PM
    Hey Guys, I Tether my 9650 and it worked perfectly on the first try (not all apps, but the browser does). I think its 15/month on a bes plan... Will have to check my Sprint bill, but that's what vzw used to be also.

You should need to sign up for the plan, but I use it for both my pc and pb. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 09:50 PM
    I honestly have to say that I think it is pathetic that carriers charge us for Unlimited Data, then CHARGE us to use that data with a device that they have SOLD us! It is absolutely insane.

I own a computer business, and I offer free checkups on networks and systems. It would be like me saying that it is free for the checkup, but it costs $30 for me to drive to do the checkup.

It is BS. Where is the government regulation of this issue!
    08-08-11 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD