So I've turned on bluetooth on both my blackberry playbook and blackberry bold 9650 and tethered internet from my existing verizon wireless unlimited data plan. I read this article ( Why you can totally tether your Verizon Android phone for free | ITworld ) recently that says that Verizon can not tell that you are tethering your internet. I called Verizon and they said there doesn't appear to be any unusual activity on my account and it doesn't appear that I am doing anything that would increase my charges. The representative did try to sell me some tethering thing though for 2gb.

I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience? I like that I can use my verizon unlimited data plan (that I play for!) and use it for my playbook.
    04-28-13 12:55 PM
    So I've turned on bluetooth on both my blackberry playbook and blackberry bold 9650 and tethered internet from my existing verizon wireless unlimited data plan. I read this article ( Why you can totally tether your Verizon Android phone for free | ITworld ) recently that says that Verizon can not tell that you are tethering your internet. I called Verizon and they said there doesn't appear to be any unusual activity on my account and it doesn't appear that I am doing anything that would increase my charges. The representative did try to sell me some tethering thing though for 2gb.

I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience? I like that I can use my verizon unlimited data plan (that I play for!) and use it for my playbook.
    Your 9650 will connect through BIS so when you tether your pb to it the carrier just sees the 9650. The data is compressed before download so you will not see an increase in you data usage. Some carriers do charge for this service but if your 9650 connects straight away without you having to contact them it's probable that the service is free.
    roguerebellions likes this.
    04-28-13 01:51 PM
    I've been doing it for two years now. I'm really not sure what the methodology is but it is probably not quite Tethering but probably serves almost the same purpose.

So far, I believe, AT&T is the only US carrier that has attempted to end the practice/process by having Rim/bbry provide a separate BRIDGE app for AT&T phones. They get some kind of intercept message about purchasing a "tethering" plan. BUT there's a way around it by getting what I'd call the NORMAL Bridge app from other sources. And I gather that once this other NORMAL bridge app is installed, AT&T canNOT tell the difference.

I gather AT&T feels that browsing along on the pb's larger screen would make it more comfortable to use the bbphone's data package and that folks would use more of their UNLIMITED already purchased data!

The bridge app that avoids this is available from rroyy.com but with Verizon, so far, we do not need it.
    04-28-13 02:10 PM
    Are you sure it's tethering or are you using Bridge mode?
    I know when I tried to use tethering on my VZW 9650 in the past, a message came up on my phone requesting me to change my plan. I also had an unlimited plan for BIS. Maybe the plan has changed now.
    04-29-13 05:13 AM
    Stick with using the Bridge function. As F2 stated, ATT is THE ONLY carrier to "roadblock" the Bridge function of Blackberry. Go to rroyy.com if you need the intact version of Bridge for your ATT phone.

C
    04-29-13 08:33 AM