Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By neoflasher
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Tether PlayBook with T-MOBILE

I am wondering how many of you out there are tethering your playbook to your BB on T- Mobile's network. I have been doing this for the past two days and i haven't added the Tethering plan that TMO has. Do you think I am goimg to be charged or will TMO not be able to recognize it like Kevin said in one of his videos
    BlackBerry 9700 T-Mobile 6.0.0.461

BlackBerry PlayBook
    CrackBerry User

I have been... but tethering is included since i am grandfatered into their old plan (fastest speed, unlimited internet, tethering, BIS, no-texts, 19.99). I've been a Tmo user for many, many moons.
    CrackBerry Master

I tether to my 9700 same as I did with my iPad previously and have never had a problem. The 9700 does very well with loads of connections I've found... Tethered to laptop and doing a remote support session (bluetooth), on a phone call with the person at the other end on my headset (bluetooth) and I can still conference in another person on the call easily if needed. First time I did that I was really amazed it handled that all with ease, now I pretty much expect it from a mobile device.

Also, during that call I was BBMing a few people as well, and the phone never lagged out or acted funny. Was pretty impressed the first few times I did it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

What speeds are you guys getting. Where I am right now there is not t-mo service and the I run my blackberry off of UMA here. I have tried the bridge and been fine but speed is very slow. I want to know if it is cause I am using a 9800 torch (AT&T) on tmo or simply just this slow? Thanks
    CrackBerry Master

Did you manually enable UMA on your 9800? I've always noticed when on UMA my 9700 speeds seem to go all over the place and not be very reliable. On 3G I get pretty good speeds, I almost always see at least 1MB and sometimes up to 3 or so.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

Since 9800 torch is AT&T device only supports edge but on UMA I don't think it should make a difference. Oh and yes I manually enabled UMA. If not I wouldn't get any service.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    907 Global Posts

ive been teatheted to my 9700 on tmo all week. it works great. data is being used under the unlimited blackberry data part of my plan (i checked my usage online). i was never charged for teathering my laptop (been doing that intermetently for years).
    CrackBerry User

Are you tethering folks using the app TETHER from this site? The one for $49.00, sometimes on sale?
    I have it on my laptop, and BB 9650. Can I also load the tether app I bought to the Playbook?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

yea I am able to connect to the BlackBerry and tethering works amazing. My question was is TMO going to be able to recognize that I am tethering and then force me to get a tethering plan or charge me for tethering without a plan. I checked my data usage online and it does appear that my PlayBook data is showing up on my BlackBerry Unlimited data as somebody has previously stated.

BlackBerry PlayBook
    CrackBerry User

Kurtis,

I am still learning....bear with me.
    How do I get the tethering app I bought and installed on my laptop...onto the Playbook?

The bridge works fine, though.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    295E4D69

I too have been tethering for years and not being charged. I don't do it very often but can see myself doing a lot more now. I've used it several times this weekend.

I also have a legacy plan with BB data plan @ $19.95.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by neoflasher View Post
    What speeds are you guys getting.
    The browser loads about 2-3x faster with 'tether' compared to 'bridge' at TM's EDGE using a BB9000
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by WisLady View Post
    How do I get the tethering app I bought and installed on my laptop...onto the Playbook?
    The laptop tether is not used.

HOW TO:

Get your PB blue tooth up and running.
    You will easily do this when you install the bridge app.
    Make sure the blue tooth is 'on' with both the phone and PB, and discoverable.
    Drop down the PB main task bar
    Go to 'tether' and follow the easy instruction to first pair.
    When you want to connect go to same place and login tether
    Go back to this place to 'disconnect'.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by EdS817 View Post
    I too have been tethering for years and not being charged. I don't do it very often but can see myself doing a lot more now. I've used it several times this weekend.
    I also have a legacy plan with BB data plan @ $19.95.
    I have the same plan .. I am waiting for my next bill the end of the month to find out it they clip me for a tether charge
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandony View Post
    The laptop tether is not used.

HOW TO:

Get your PB blue tooth up and running.
    You will easily do this when you install the bridge app.
    Make sure the blue tooth is 'on' with both the phone and PB, and discoverable.
    Drop down the PB main task bar
    Go to 'tether' and follow the easy instruction to first pair.
    When you want to connect go to same place and login tether
    Go back to this place to 'disconnect'.
    I believe tether (the app that cost's $49.99) and tethering using the built in function built into the playbook are not the same. I too have the tether app which I purchased and would like to use with the playbook. i do remember seeing it just don't recall where that "tether" is currently working on the ability for their app to function with the playbook.
    Firefighter0793 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts

+1! Grandfathered as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_Jester View Post
    I have been... but tethering is included since i am grandfatered into their old plan (fastest speed, unlimited internet, tethering, BIS, no-texts, 19.99). I've been a Tmo user for many, many moons.
    T-Mobile Z10 // 32GB PlayBook
    Retired --> 9780/9700/8900/8100/8310/All Unlocked

Follow me on http://twitter.com/impalass96
    CrackBerry User

RE: Tether

Ok, I just received an email from Tether support regarding the $49.00 app (I purchased for 24.95).

They state that "Sorry Tether currently does NOT support the Blackberry Playbook.
    We are looking into the possiblity of adding this functionality to Tether in the future"
    Thanks,
    Matthew

So, that's it for now.
    CrackBerry User

mandony

I think there is some confusion on the tether and the bridge on the BB Playbook, at least in my mind there is.
    I received the statement from Tether right after you clarified that the regular Tether is not used.

I still have some issues using the Bridge/tether on the Playbook.

I can get connected, the phone shows up on the Playbook, but the bridge browser is not working. Email is fine, and so it the contact list.
    When I go to the wireless device provider, it will not let me add a service profile. Does that mean that USCELLULAR does not support the Playbook? Or, should it just be automatic with the BB phone? I have the Bold 9650 phone, maybe I need to change something in the phone settings?

Thanks again for your assist, in advance.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am on the grandfathered TMobile plan as well. i have been using it with my laptop for years and never was charged. I have only tethered my Playbook to make sure it worked but I don't see a charge on my account.

WisLady - bridging just allows you to access certain things on you phone and is not the same as tethering. Tethering uses your phone as a modem. Others here have reported problems with the bridge browser, which I never use and, frankly, cannot figure out why it was included in the first place.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks. Yes, I understand that the bridging is for the email, calendar, and a few other things. Like you, think that is not needed.
    Regarding the tethering...bummer, but so far USCELLULAR has not approved it yet, so THAT explains why I can not make the browser work on bridge browser. They should soon, I called them and they said as soon as it is "approved" they will be selling them in the USCELL stores.

I am hoping the regular Tether application will become available as part of the BB apps, it works great on the laptop.

I can connect at home with the WIFI, but then it goes off line. Not sure what is going on here, spent an hour on the phone the other day with the people at NETGEAR, the router I use. It works sporadically.
    On the other hand, I can go to any WiFi place in town and it connects with no issues.
    Thanks all, for you comments.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    PIN
    25E74133

Been tethering since last Tues.
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_Jester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neoflasher View Post
    Since 9800 torch is AT&T device only supports edge but on UMA I don't think it should make a difference. Oh and yes I manually enabled UMA. If not I wouldn't get any service.
    I don't get it, if you're on UMA on your bb, why don't you just connect your playbook to the wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by mandony View Post
    I have the same plan .. I am waiting for my next bill the end of the month to find out it they clip me for a tether charge
    You can check your bill out right now at my.t-mobile.com

Quote Originally Posted by KurtisBertolami View Post
    yea I am able to connect to the BlackBerry and tethering works amazing. My question was is TMO going to be able to recognize that I am tethering and then force me to get a tethering plan or charge me for tethering without a plan. I checked my data usage online and it does appear that my PlayBook data is showing up on my BlackBerry Unlimited data as somebody has previously stated.
    Don't tether 24/7 and you should be fine.
    Last edited by c0rinne; 04-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

yea C0rinne that's exactly what I've been doing. Just tethering once in a while. praying it stays free!

BlackBerry PlayBook
    CrackBerry Abuser

i havent been ablke to get tether to work.. after acquiring ip address.. it just fails.. dont know what the deal is.. im bridged fine though
    CrackBerry User

hello, i know this is a old thread but i have aquick question...
    when i go to tmobile online, how do i know which data my pb usedand which data my bb used? been using some tethering since yesterday but no additional charge on my bill so far