Could an app like Tether Me work for my 9930 to provide an internet connection to my playbook?

I do use the bride, but as you know it can be limiting.

Thanks.
    BlackBerry PlayBook® 2.0 using Tapatalk™
    03-18-12 12:08 PM
    Bridge shouldn't have any additional limits beyond what tethering can do. App World doesn't work when tethered either.
    03-18-12 02:28 PM
    Could an app like Tether Me work for my 9930 to provide an internet connection to my playbook?

I do use the bride, but as you know it can be limiting.

Thanks.
    BlackBerry PlayBook� 2.0 using Tapatalk�
    Sure, you could easily use an app like Tether Me (or Tether, which I use on my laptop) to provide internet connectivity to your PB -- just as soon as there is a PB version of the software.
    03-18-12 03:45 PM
    Sure, you could easily use an app like Tether Me (or Tether, which I use on my laptop) to provide internet connectivity to your PB -- just as soon as there is a PB version of the software.
    Wait.....there isn't a Playbook version yet? So, the answer to my question is no.

Appworld won't work while tethered? This just sounds wrong to me.

03-18-12 09:50 PM
    I did find an app called Tetherbridge that should let me use all my apps while tethered. Its a one time fee which is nice.

03-18-12 11:29 PM
    Wait.....there isn't a Playbook version yet? So, the answer to my question is no.
    Nope.

Appworld won't work while tethered? This just sounds wrong to me.
    AFAIK, App World works fine when tethered. (I've never tethered my PB, so I'm not sure.) It's when bridged that it doesn't work.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-19-12 at 12:40 AM.
    03-19-12 12:35 AM
    AFAIK, App World works fine when tethered. (I've never tethered my PB, so I'm not sure.) It's when bridged that it doesn't work.
    I have many times, and App World has never worked. Not now and not back when the PB first came out. I've tried this on my PB and on others, and with multiple phones. I'm quite certain App World is restricted to WiFi.
    03-19-12 08:22 PM
    Just tethered my Playbook to my HD7 and App World absolutely does work while tethered.
    03-19-12 08:32 PM
    I have many times, and App World has never worked. Not now and not back when the PB first came out. I've tried this on my PB and on others, and with multiple phones. I'm quite certain App World is restricted to WiFi.
    My response to this information is to scratch my head and wonder, "How do it know?"
    03-19-12 09:11 PM
    App World does work while tethered.
    03-19-12 10:50 PM
    Just tethered my Playbook to my HD7 and App World absolutely does work while tethered.
    What kind of tethering? I'm referring to the PB's Bluetooth Tethering functionality. Are you using WiFi hotspot?

My response to this information is to scratch my head and wonder, "How do it know?"
    At a system level it can check which network interfaces are currently active.
    03-20-12 02:44 PM
    What kind of tethering? I'm referring to the PB's Bluetooth Tethering functionality. Are you using WiFi hotspot?
    Well of course I'm using the WiFi hotspot/ICS(internet connection sharing) function of my phone. Why would anyone use Bluetooth for tethering? Other then using bridge if you have a BB phone.
    03-20-12 02:54 PM
    I am tethered through my carrier and I can only access app world on wifi.
    03-20-12 03:01 PM
    Well of course I'm using the WiFi hotspot/ICS(internet connection sharing) function of my phone. Why would anyone use Bluetooth for tethering? Other then using bridge if you have a BB phone.
    The Bluetooth bridge or tethering uses less battery power on the phone than the wifi hotspot does. My Playbook is Bridged to my phone all day long (16-14hrs) , though on wifi a lot for internet, and my phone battery last almost two days.

My 9900 also has the wifi hotspot feature, but I tend not to use it as you loose the bridge features. I did use it once to download a large OS update for the PlayBook when I had to leave wifi coverage mid download. The hotspot seemed quicker than wifi, but it may have been that the Rogers network may have had a better connection to the RIM servers than my internet provider.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-20-12 at 03:10 PM.
    03-20-12 03:06 PM
    The Bluetooth bridge or tethering uses less battery power on the phone than the wifi hotspot does. My Playbook is Bridged to my phone all day long (16-14hrs) , though on wifi a lot for internet, and my phone battery last almost two days.
    Except who would be using there phone as a WiFi hotspot all day long unless they were actually somewhere with no available WiFi and they were actually using there Playbook the whole time. smh

Anyway the point is in answer to Taylorbb post App World does indeed work while the playbook is tethered. Perhaps not while bridged but definitely while tethered.
    03-20-12 03:18 PM
    Except who would be using there phone as a WiFi hotspot all day long unless they were actually somewhere with no available WiFi and they were actually using there Playbook the whole time. smh

Anyway the point is in answer to Taylorbb post App World does indeed work while the playbook is tethered. Perhaps not while bridged but definitely while tethered.
    With the Bridge, there is not the inconvenience of turning the wifi hotspot on and off. You always have internet on the Playbook as long as the phone has a good cellular data connection.

Where you are confusing people is the Playbook actually has a separate setup called tethering. Tethering is typically when you connect a phones data connection via Bluetooth or cable to a computer/tablet, not via wifi.
    03-20-12 03:29 PM
    Better yet.

Grab a leaked version of the os for your 9930 and enable the wifi hotspot. Much faster then bluetooth and doesn't require any apps.
    03-20-12 03:33 PM
    With the Bridge, there is not the inconvenience of turning the wifi hotspot on and off. You always have internet on the Playbook as long as the phone has a good cellular data connection.

Where you are confusing people is the Playbook actually has a separate setup called tethering. Tethering is typically when you connect a phones data connection via Bluetooth or cable to a computer/tablet, not via wifi.
    Excuse me but tethering is typically connecting an internet capable device with other internet capable devices via Bluetooth, cable OR WiFi. In the world of smart phones(apparently outside of the BB realm) when people talk about tethering they are referring to using their smartphones as mobile WiFi hotspots for their tablets, netbooks and laptops. I know years ago, before smartphones started having WiFi hotspot capability that using Bluetooth and cable via usb was the thing. But not so much anymore.
    03-20-12 03:46 PM
    I would be tethered through BT with Tetherbridge. I don't think I would have any trouble with app world.

One thing I do love is that tapatalk works with just the bridge.

BlackBerry Bold® 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-20-12 04:11 PM
    I downloaded the trial version of Tetherbridge and App World definitely did NOT work for me with that setup. Nor did it work when I signed up for WiFi hotspot with Verizon and tethered my 9930 to my PB. App World has only worked while being directly connected to a WiFi network. All other apps requiring data worked fine while tethered, just not App World. It even says on the blackberry.com website that WiFi is a requirement for App World to work on the PB.

By the way, I did not find that the connection using Tetherbridge was all that much faster, and sometimes it was actually slower, than using Bridge data.
    03-20-12 06:12 PM
    When you are tethered to your phone while it's being used as a mobile hotspot your Playbook is over WiFi. In this case App World does work. I know because I've used it this way.
    03-20-12 06:20 PM
    I find bridge not much slower than using the wifi hotspot on my phone.
    03-20-12 06:29 PM
    Geez. Does appworld work while tethered or not?

03-20-12 08:33 PM

BlackBerry PlayBook� 2.0 using Tapatalk�
    App World works while you're tethered using your phone as a wifi hotspot.
    03-20-12 08:39 PM
    Not if you are using the tether function of the PlayBook. The PlayBook needs to have a wifi connection to use AppWorld.

If your phone can provide a wifi connection to provide the internet to the PlayBook, you will be able to use AppWorld when connected to the phone via wifi.

While we are at it, a lot of non Blackberry phones will not share internet with a PlayBook via BlueTooth tether, such as the new iPhone 4s. In the case of the iPhone 4s, the wifi hotspot works well with the PlayBook. My wife has even been able to RDP to her office using RDP on her PlayBook via the IPhone 4s hotspot.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-21-12 at 02:01 PM.
    03-21-12 01:56 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD