Hello
    Extremely happy with my PB, many more apps will come, bridge will be polished etc etc.
    So I upped my telus data plan and it includes tethering in preparation for using PB tethered to iphone. Well when I try to tether to iPhone the phone sees PB and PB sees phone. I get the number matching notice on both devices but when I try to connect all seems well on PlayBook but iPhone gives me the message PlayBook-Bxxx is not supported and forces me to forget network and start over but it just keeps failing.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Looking forward to Torch 2
    04-20-11 01:40 PM
    I provided this solution in a previous thread and it works great

Here is what I did using iPhone4 (edit: not jail broken - v4.3)

1. Create a personal Hotspot (you will be connecting via wifi)
    2. Set a password
    3. Use the Playbook to look for a wifi connection (your iPhone should show up)
    4. Connect to it - enter password
    04-20-11 01:44 PM
    I searched and missed your solution but it doesn't work for me. I can turn on personal hotspot on iPhone (no option to password protect it) and PlayBook does not see it as a wifi connection.
    Any other ideas
    Thanks
    04-20-11 02:19 PM
    The iphone 4 offers wifi tethering, the 3gs does not, only bluetooth.

Any solution for 3gs owners to tether a playbook?

Mywi does not seem to work, and ios bluetooth tether does not seem to work?
    04-21-11 06:35 PM
    Anyone get the Playbook to tether to a 3GS , this could be a deal breaker if not solved...
    04-22-11 10:01 AM
    Depends on your carrier I believe. In Canada, Rogers allows tethering on iphone 3GS if you have a 1GB or greater per month plan and at no tethering cost.
    04-22-11 01:21 PM
    I'm not convinced this is a carrier issue nor is a PlayBook issue. My plan includes tethering the PlayBook see's my iphone and iphone see's PlayBook. Iphone's blutooth is messed up, the message I get on the iphone when trying to pair whether is PlayBook or my macbook is "macbook is not supported" and "PlayBook is not supported"
    latest update, 4.3.2 and I've restored the iphone, no success, the iphone's bluetooth is crap
    I honestly can't wait till Torch 2 is out
    04-23-11 05:02 PM
    The PlayBook supports tethering via Bluetooth DUN. If the iPhone also supports this protocol there should be no issue to connect the PlayBook to the iPhone. If Apple has opted out of the standards and gone with a proprietary Bluetooth profile to limit connectivity to Apple devices then you will be unable to tether.
    04-23-11 05:44 PM
    Can anyone provide a dummies guide on how to do this? I have a PlayBook and a 3GS iPhone (with a 6GB data plan that allows tethering).

I have enabled BT on the PB and the iPhone
    I have made the PB discoverable
    I have enabled internet tethering on the iPhone

That's about as far as I've gotten. I can't seem to get either device to 'see' each other over BT
    04-24-11 08:49 PM
    Can anyone provide a dummies guide on how to do this? I have a PlayBook and a 3GS iPhone (with a 6GB data plan that allows tethering).

I have enabled BT on the PB and the iPhone
    I have made the PB discoverable
    I have enabled internet tethering on the iPhone

That's about as far as I've gotten. I can't seem to get either device to 'see' each other over BT
    Interesting. Last week I bridged 3 of my friends blackberrys to my Playbook. Tried to tether with an iphone 3G during that same lunch break and it couldn't pick up any BT signals, but I had half a dozen showing on my Playbook.
    04-24-11 08:56 PM
    Its doesn't work on my 3g, 3gs or iphone 4.. Only with WIFI via the ios 4.3.2 hotspot option.. And its flaky on there.. Half the time the playbook doesn't see it untill i turn it off and on again (iphone).
    04-24-11 10:25 PM
    I have the exact same issue. And loving my Playbook but really need the ability to tether to my iPhone 3gs. I've called RIM support and Rogers support - both mentioned they have had other people call with this issue but neither have a solution.

Really hoping someone out there in Crackberry land figures this one out!!
    04-26-11 04:31 PM
    I had NO problem at all tethering my 3GS to my 16gb Playbook however I cannot get my 3GS to connect to my new 32gb Playbook. The devices see each other, they pair by sending the text validation code but they cannot connect to one another.

Strangely enough, the 16gb also used to get more bars on the wifi than the 32gb model that I upgraded to. With regards to the tethering, I think that I may have had ghe Playbook connected to the Blackberry Desktop software on my PC when I had set it up the first time so I will give that a try when I get a chance. It IS possible to get the tethering to work.

BTW, I went to the retail outlet to see if it would work on their demo model but that did not work either. Their demo iPad 2 connected to ny 3gs quickly and easily, however so I know that the phone is okay.
    05-05-11 12:33 AM
    Just an update...connecting the Playbook to the Blackberry Desktop software DID NOT help it to connect to the 3GS firmware.

I took my 3GS back to the store where I had upgraded to the 32gb Playbook and asked them if I could test the Bluetooth on the 16gb model that I had brought back to them. They allowed me to do so although I had to wait for it to update to the newest firmware. After updating, it would not connect to my iPhone 3GS. It has the same issue that my 32gb model has so I am at a complete loss as to why it won't work.

I would hate to return this Playbook but I have 2 days left before I won't be allowed to do so and there is no point in keeping it if they have messed up the tethering with the latest update.
    05-07-11 05:37 PM
    A temporary solution for you may be to jailbreak your 3GS and buy Mywi app from Cydia. It should allow you to set up wifi hotspot, like an iPhone 4.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will look i to doing that over the next couple of days and I will report back. I couldn't bring myself to take the Playbook back to the store because I am really loving it. I would love it more if I could tether though.
    05-12-11 05:33 PM
    You can try this process I found for bluetooth tethering using an iPhone 3GS and a computer:

How to setup Tethering via Bluetooth on Windows

1. Turn on iPhone 3G/3GS. Turn on Computer.
    2. On the iPhone 3G/3GS, go to ‘Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering’ and switch it to ‘On’. When prompted, choose the ‘Bluetooth’ option.
    3. On your iPhone 3G/3GS, go to your Bluetooth menu which is at Settings > General > Bluetooth and stay there.
    4. On your Windows computer, enable Bluetooth (varies between Windows versions)
    5. In your Bluetooth settings, choose to Set up a Bluetooth Device.
    6. Follow the on-screen instructions (varies between Windows versions).
    7. Once the iPhone 3G/3GS is paired, exit the set up screen.
    8. Navigate to your Bluetooth menu and select your iPhone 3G/3GS and Connect.
    9. Go to a website.
    Note: The setup method for Bluetooth will only have to be done one time per computer. When you want to tether in the future, simply do only Step 1, 2 and 8.

Source: How to Tether iPhone 3G/3GS over USB/Bluetooth on 3.0 Firmware | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

If you can't get it to work, try again. It seems that iPhone bluetooth tethering's pretty flaky:
    https://discussions.apple.com/messag...ageID=13333782
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/12909206#12909206
    Last edited by moltenfire; 05-12-11 at 06:16 PM.
    05-12-11 06:09 PM
    If you jailbreak iphone 3GS will that work to get them tethered? I have a playbook for my wife and she has an iphone...thoughts?
    05-12-11 08:09 PM
    has anyone with an iphone tried this?
    05-12-11 09:13 PM
    It doesn't work for 3GS. No matter you are using built-in Bluetooth hotspot or mywi on a jailbroken 3GS. Because PlayBook supports neither tethering over Bluetooth pan nor ad-hoc wifi.
    BTW, I can't register Crackberry with PlayBook because the image in CAPTCHA doesn't show up. Ironically, I can register it with my iPad without problem. Anyone has the same problem?
    05-13-11 05:26 PM
    I've given up on the playbook. Like the previous poster, I can't connect the PB to my 3GS using BT or MyWi. I can however connect an iPad to it in seconds.

Is this device crippled in such a way that I can only tether with a BB? Has anyone tried an Android device?
    05-14-11 10:57 AM
    i could not connect on my iphone 4 via wifi. it turned out that the name of my phone was causing the problem. Not sure if it was the apostrophe or space, but renaming it to just one word via itunes worked.

I thought wifi hotspot also worked on the 3gs?
    05-14-11 11:10 AM
    Since apple likes to do things their way I'm not surprised it doesn't work but could still be something on the playbook end.
    05-14-11 11:25 AM
    i'm using MyWi 4.0 (jailbroken) on my iphone to set as a wifi hotspot and it run just fine though eat the battery quite fast
    05-14-11 11:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD