Can you use your data from your phone on your playbook by tethering?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 12:39 AM
    yes you can.
    03-24-11 05:25 AM
    yes you can.
    Really? Where did you find this? It would be awesome, but i cant find any indication that you will be able to do that.
    03-24-11 06:26 AM
    Can you use your data from your phone on your playbook by tethering?

What do you mean by 'use your data'?
    03-24-11 06:32 AM
    Don't know what the OP meant but i would think this means that your phone would act as storage for the PB. Apps on the PB could play music and vid that is stored on your phone, or that Docs To Go could open a Word file on the phone etc.
    03-24-11 06:36 AM
    It should be able to. RIM has said the bridge can access your phones file system

03-24-11 07:13 AM
    It's my understanding that you are going to be able to tether your BB and Playbook in order to use the Playbook on the 3g network. This way you won't have to sign a new contract and pay another monthly fee. However I'm quite sure the service providers with find some way to take your money.
    03-24-11 07:39 AM
    Ive already read where ATT is monitoring for tethering and emailing people they detect doing it. From what i have read, tho, this will be possible, But Id like to know about accessing the data files on your phone. that would be terrific.
    03-24-11 07:59 AM
    So far my understanding is you'll be able to "bridge" the pb to your bberry. What that means is access to email, calendar, files, bbms from the pb. Now, when it comes to surfing the web it's not that clear yet.
    I am sure the carriers would not be happy if people are capable of doing so since many still have unlimited bberry data plans. Also, it would make no sense to make 3g/4g versions of the playbook, hmmm i guess i does for those who don't have a blackberry.

In the end i think that it could be very possible to surf the web while bridging but i am sure the carriers will find a way to charge extra for that and call it "tethering."
    03-24-11 08:11 AM
    I am on a tethering plan, and would pre-order a Playbook if I could get a clear answer to whether or not I can use my BB data plan to surf the web on the Playbook via tethering. I'm not talking about "bridge" or "pairing" where the Playbook has access to the BB's email / calendar / messenger apps, I'm talking about full blown web browsing utilizing the data/tether plan I already have.

Does anyone know the answer? Do I tether with an app and a cable? Or can I tether via bluetooth? Or is it available at all?
    03-24-11 09:00 AM
    It will be possible but nobody knows what it will cost yet, assuming the carriers choose to charge an extra tethering fee.
    03-24-11 09:30 AM
    I am on a tethering plan, and would pre-order a Playbook if I could get a clear answer to whether or not I can use my BB data plan to surf the web on the Playbook via tethering. I'm not talking about "bridge" or "pairing" where the Playbook has access to the BB's email / calendar / messenger apps, I'm talking about full blown web browsing utilizing the data/tether plan I already have.

Does anyone know the answer? Do I tether with an app and a cable? Or can I tether via bluetooth? Or is it available at all?
    I want to know this as well.
    03-24-11 09:41 AM
    Well, the PB Website USED to say something to the effect of "Use your BB for 3G connectivity on the go" but all mentions of that have gone bye bye. I'm sure you'll be able to, it's a matter of cost.
    03-24-11 10:03 AM
    It will be possible but nobody knows what it will cost yet, assuming the carriers choose to charge an extra tethering fee.
    Ha, Ha, Ha - carriers NOT charging an extra fee would be national news! Is there a buck to be made? Even a cent to be made?
    03-24-11 10:28 AM
    If it's going to cost me more than I pay now. I'm going to pass on the playbook because I don't need it for anything other than a nice small but not too small device to surf on when I'm away from home. I'll just keep dragging my laptop around with me.
    03-24-11 10:28 AM
    From Staples PB site:

3G network access using your BlackBerry� smartphone as a modem; 4G network access available on BlackBerry� 4G PlayBook™ tablet
    03-24-11 10:32 AM

I want to know this as well.
    Well, the PB Website USED to say something to the effect of "Use your BB for 3G connectivity on the go" but all mentions of that have gone bye bye. I'm sure you'll be able to, it's a matter of cost.
    I am going to ASSume that the service providers didn't like that and "requested" that it be taken off.

since Best Buy and others are taking pre-orders I called T-Mobile to ask them what they plan to do and they couldn't answer me. I called RIM and asked them if I bridge the Playbook with my 9700 can I surf the web and send/receive email. Their answer was.......

It's up to the service providers to determine what you can and cannot do.

It's a good thing we all have deep pockets.
    03-24-11 10:55 AM

There has been a clear answer on the Rogers Red boards. If you have 1gb data, you can tether at no additional cost.

Preview: BlackBerry PlayBook | Rogers RedBoard

I believe that is their policy for tethering to PCs as well. I have tethered my BB to my laptop numerous times with a 500mb data plan and I have never been billed for it. I will probably upgrade to 1GB so I can sleep easier at night.
    Last edited by smeagle5; 03-24-11 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added link
    03-24-11 10:59 AM
    If it's going to cost me more than I pay now. I'm going to pass on the playbook because I don't need it for anything other than a nice small but not too small device to surf on when I'm away from home. I'll just keep dragging my laptop around with me.
    It should be the same as tethering any other device, and it shouldn't cost you any more to tether the PB. If you're currently tethering your laptop, tethering the PB should be the same, except you can do it vis blue tooth. However, if you're currently tethering and you don't have a tethering data plan, you could be getting one of those nice emails from your carrier soon.

03-24-11 11:36 AM
    It should be the same as tethering any other device, and it shouldn't cost you any more to tether the PB. If you're currently tethering your laptop, tethering the PB should be the same, except you can do it vis blue tooth. However, if you're currently tethering and you don't have a tethering data plan, you could be getting one of those nice emails from your carrier soon.

No problem yet............... not to say there will never be. I use less data tethering every day than a lot do on their phones. I don't use it as my only internet access or download a bunch of stuff. Just surf and chat on a screen I can actually see without squinting.
    03-24-11 11:44 AM

THIS

10char
    03-24-11 12:20 PM
    There has been a clear answer on the Rogers Red boards. If you have 1gb data, you can tether at no additional cost.

Thanks ... I'm going to assume that I can tether (it'll be no cost on my Rogers plan), and that I'll need a cable in order to do so. Bluetooth bridging is a different animal and doesn't give me web surfing capability. Having spent a few hours researching this, it's clear that there is a lot of confusion on the web surfing tethering question!

For the folks at RIM: confusion = significantly fewer sales.

I had already read the redboard piece and watched the video, and it doesn't answer the tethering question at all; it's quite fluffy. I did find out that TETRIS is included with the Playbook as one of the two free games! Whoo hoo.
    03-24-11 12:21 PM

I believe that is their policy for tethering to PCs as well. I have tethered my BB to my laptop numerous times with a 500mb data plan and I have never been billed for it. I will probably upgrade to 1GB so I can sleep easier at night.
    i've been meaning to ask someone about this.. im on a 500mb plan. do you just use the tether app?
    03-24-11 12:23 PM
    i've been meaning to ask someone about this.. im on a 500mb plan. do you just use the tether app?
    I listened to the phone conversation when my girlfriend went through the process with a Rogers rep; she too was on a 500mb plan. She called up to find out if she was eligible for a new plan / phone (she was) and then explained that she hardly used any data but wanted to be able to use her phone as a modem sometimes to access the web on her laptop. She ultimately got her 500mb plan updated to a 1gb plan (this is the minimum plan where tethering is allowed at all) and got it at the 500mb price.

Give that a shot before shelling out $25 for the Tether app. And I think that using the Tether app could be a violation of your terms of service with Rogers.
    03-24-11 12:31 PM
    I dont have the tether app and still tether once and a while with 500mb. I think as long as your use is not excessive, most likely nothing will happen. But when i get the PB, i plan on upgrading to 1GB of data just so I dont have to worry about being slapped with an outrageous bill!
    03-24-11 12:41 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD