Just thought I'd share this with you all about bridge. In another thread elsewhere I mentioned I asked Michael Clewley by Twitter about speed dialling on a q10. I also asked him about Bridge v3's lack of features.

His answer was and i quote:

'Nothing o can share in bridge currently' (sic)

I can be a bit negative in my interpretation of this so I thought I'd ask what people think on this?

My opinion is that they know darn well they have no plan on expanding bridge's capabilities as per their original statement in their blog. There has probably been a directive within the company to stop talking about anything playbook related - its bad PR because they know they've dropped it like a week old fish, and they know it's unpopular with their customers and they don't want to throw any more fuel on the fire.

What do others think?
    08-24-13 09:29 AM
    IMO they have been pretty clear that there will be no more development for the playbook, and that would include bridge.

I don't see any reason to beleive that's changed, nor do I think it will.. hence why there would be nothing else to say..
    08-24-13 10:21 AM
    I see what you are saying, and yes they have said no more support on the playbook, but Bridge v3 is an app for BB10, one that they promised in their blog would have features added. Any statement they made is far from clear in its scope to my mind, hence I would quite like them to just tell us one way or another. I guess what I'm saying is if you are right, why didn't Michael Clewley just say we aren't developing it further?
    08-24-13 10:25 AM
    They're beyond BlackBerry Bridge now, start thinking more advanced. Start thinking NFC, Wi-Fi Direct, Geo Location, Cloud Hosting.
    08-24-13 10:31 AM
    They're beyond BlackBerry Bridge now, start thinking more advanced. Start thinking NFC, Wi-Fi Direct, Geo Location, Cloud Hosting.
    I take it you mean they want to focus elsewhere then Blaize, and don't care about what bridge offered? Well yes that's kind of what I think to!
    08-24-13 10:48 AM
    I take it you mean they want to focus elsewhere then Blaize, and don't care about what bridge offered? Well yes that's kind of what I think to!
    More like there is better ways to offer the things Bridge did.
    08-24-13 10:50 AM
    Start thinking of that massive BlackBerry NOC and everything you know about BlackBerry10 as all being connected and intertwined - One of the worlds largest, most secure, private network and all your own connectivity requirements in a different ecosystem than you know at the moment.

#MobileComputing

I think we'll start to see some news on this about the time the Z30 is formally introduced. (A guess).

Note: You can already, today, access your home machines and desktops with your BlackBerry10 device over wireless AND Mobile Networks...
    08-24-13 10:55 AM
    More like there is better ways to offer the things Bridge did.
    That's an interesting response and that's what puzzled me - what do you think their end game is then Blaize? I mean nfc and wifi direct aren't really offering functionality, they are osi layer 2 aren't they i.e protocols, not layer 7 applications with functions like bridge? Cloud hosting I sort of see possibilities, and with the direction bes10 takes us.

Do you mean something like accessing the phone functions and data from pretty much anywhere maybe? That hackneyed phrase 'the internet of things' aka MDM is often talked about, but honestly with bridge v3 capable of a mere fraction of what v2 could do, it doesn't speak well of their ability to deliver, or sound very convincing. Indeed every time they talk on that subject, they don't really flesh out anything, leaving it little more than hot air in the minds of most maybe.

Before they abandon something to improve it with more modern tech , shouldn't they actually have left it working while they work on its replacement? Or maybe v3 bridge is their idea of doing that unfortunately?
    SavvyBB likes this.
    08-24-13 11:05 AM
    I see what you are saying, and yes they have said no more support on the playbook, but Bridge v3 is an app for BB10, one that they promised in their blog would have features added. Any statement they made is far from clear in its scope to my mind, hence I would quite like them to just tell us one way or another. I guess what I'm saying is if you are right, why didn't Michael Clewley just say we aren't developing it further?
    One cynical take could be - don't admit it will not be improved or restored is to sell BB10 devices to those who still "keep the faith" and expect that the Bridge will return in full glory to the bb10 devices and pb.

(maybe being "air bagged" after hitting a deer with a rental car in Colorado warped my senses - or restored reality!!!)
    bambinoitaliano and cmdr_dan like this.
    08-25-13 10:31 AM
    One cynical take could be - don't admit it will not be improved or restored is to sell BB10 devices to those who still "keep the faith" and expect that the Bridge will return in full glory to the bb10 devices and pb.

(maybe being "air bagged" after hitting a deer with a rental car in Colorado warped my senses - or restored reality!!!)
    Could never get a straight answer out of this folks could we? Why not just say, we are no longer developing the bridge between playbook and BB10 devices.
    FF22 and cmdr_dan like this.
    08-25-13 11:07 AM
    Could never get a straight answer out of this folks could we? Why not just say, we are no longer developing the bridge between playbook and BB10 devices.
    On one hand - they have no idea themselves

On the other hand - there is no pb, so why discuss the Bridge at all.

I will stick to my cynical observation.
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    08-25-13 11:39 AM