View Poll Results: If my Playbook were stolen and all tablets were same price (e.g. $199), I would buy:

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Another BlackBerry Playbook

136 54.62%
  • Android (e.g. Galaxy Tab 7.7, Galaxy Note, Transformer Infinity/Prime, etc.)

28 11.24%
  • Apple (e.g. the New iPad, iPad 2)

44 17.67%
  • I would wait for Windows 8 tablets

33 13.25%
  • I would not buy any tablet any time soon

8 3.21%
    Almost four fifth of the users who participated in the below poll indicated they wouldn't buy the Playbook if it was back to its original price.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-499-a-721107/

Many people also concluded that they wouldn't pay $499 for any tablet. Some people stated that the major factor in their decision to buy the Playbook was its deeply discounted price.

I was thinking how big of an effect the low price plays in one's decision to purchase a tablet vs how important the OS/manufacturer/specs is for the decision. Let's imagine a hypothetical world where all tablets are selling at a comparable price.

In other words, which platform tablet would you buy if all 16Gb Wi-Fi-only tablets were priced at $199, all 32Gb tablets were priced at $249, all 64Gb tablets were priced at $299, etc? This includes officially announced and coming-soon tablets.
    05-06-12 12:17 AM
    I paid 600 for my 64gb PB and would gladly replace it with another if need be.... That's over the 199 price though...

edit: however, my next PB purchase will have a cell plan attached to it...
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-06-12 12:43 AM
    Since the 199$ price is what brought me to the pb, I would get a windows tablet such as the Toshiba thrive. But then would probably end up buying another playbook.
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-06-12 12:58 AM
    I need the small size (iPads are too big)
    need decent security (no chance of that with Android)
    need tethering/Bridge.... (don't want any more carrier costs, or another sim card)

only one choice = PlayBook
    05-06-12 01:05 AM
    I would give windows 8 a try.. But after getting another playbook
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-06-12 01:07 AM
    All tablets the same price?

I would buy a new edition ipad, in a heartbeat.
    Second choice would be a Windows 8 device.
    cdelcampo216 and kennyliu like this.
    05-06-12 01:18 AM
    Since the 199$ price is what brought me to the pb, I would get a windows tablet such as the Toshiba thrive. But then would probably end up buying another playbook.
    The Thrive is an android tablet. Go shopping again
    bbfan1040 and slickmastajay like this.
    05-06-12 01:45 AM
    I have one of each family. But I would buy any bb10 device once it is possible (for app making). And I would buy more Android devices for better Android testing.

A better question would be:

All your tablets are lost. You can get only 1 tablet, and use 1 tablet. What would you do?
    05-06-12 01:53 AM
    i would buy a tablet that has lte enabled
    05-06-12 01:54 AM
    I'd have galaxy tab 7.7 without a doubt.

The playbook software is missing too many features to compete and security isn't a big deal for me as it would be used for entertainment only.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-06-12 01:57 AM
    Remember what happened to the 8gb PB? Well the 64gb would kill the 16 and 32gb PB if they where all $199.
    musical1806 likes this.
    05-06-12 02:02 AM
    At those prices I'd probably get one from each platform!
    JeffyPooh and MrBugMan like this.
    05-06-12 02:16 AM
    I would buy another 64gig PlayBook even at $299 or $499 it would still be cheaper than what I'D paid for it to begin with. The PlayBook is perfect for me and what I do. The PlayBooks ability to allow me to teather to my Bold 9930 anywhere at no cost to use it as an Internet hotshot is a main feature I use. The size is perfect for on the go and its basic functions make it an everyday tool for nearly all types of employment. As a Police Officer with jurisdiction in Baltimore City and.the four outlying counties I am able to pdf different police forms onto PlayBook and complete my work faster.

It is great to use a video camera to catch important family moments and the occasional trophy wife.
    Some improvements will be coming when 10 is released and PlayBook 4G is release.
    After I get my Bold 10 then I will get the new PlayBook 4G if it is the same size as current model.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    05-06-12 02:21 AM
    Galaxy Note 10.1 because of the stylus for drawing and handwriting. I have enough of capacitive styluses (even Adonit Jot is quite poor for writing).
    GeorgeT93 likes this.
    05-06-12 02:49 AM
    If already available, I will buy 7.7" or 8" Windows8 Tablet with i7 processor and at least same battery life as new iPad

dreaming...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    MrBugMan likes this.
    05-06-12 05:07 AM
    Since this is all "hypothetical" and prices are all the same, lets take it one step further and add support from various resources mainly development and app support. I would choose the PlayBook hands down. If the PlayBook had as much third party support and app support as (the other fruit) some, IMO....would run circles around the compitition. QNX is a very formidable operating system and soon everyone will know it
    05-06-12 05:41 AM
    Almost four fifth of the users who participated in the below poll indicated they wouldn't buy the Playbook if it was back to its original price.

Many people also concluded that they wouldn't pay $499 for any tablet. Some people stated that the major factor in their decision to buy the Playbook was its deeply discounted price.

I was thinking how big of an effect the low price plays in one's decision to purchase a tablet vs how important the OS/manufacturer/specs is for the decision. Let's imagine a hypothetical world where all tablets are selling at a comparable price.

In other words, which platform tablet would you buy if all 16Gb Wi-Fi-only tablets were priced at $199, all 32Gb tablets were priced at $249, all 64Gb tablets were priced at $299, etc? This includes officially announced and coming-soon tablets.
    Interesting topic I don't think the major contributing factor to most buying a PlayBook in the last few months was that it was cheap, it was that it was a serious Premium tablet that was deeply discounted. I've been told the Kindle Fire is in the same price range, if say it had been 100 dollars more and was reduced to its present price do you think it would have made that much of a difference to their sales.

Personally I think everyone who has been able to purchase one or more Playbooks at this price should be feeling pretty smug, because they got one of a deal. By the way I was able to purchase one of the 16 gig Playbooks for my daughter at $149.00. That sort of pricing will likely never be seen again.
    Last edited by BBplaybookJS; 05-06-12 at 06:30 AM.
    05-06-12 06:25 AM
    It would be between the samsung 7" android, or the play book.

The samsung would have loads more apps and a sat nav. But the playbook could potentially get a satnav but also have a bridge to my phone..

Not sure what the windows one will be like, wont bridge to my phone and wont have more apps so not sure what would draw me in
    05-06-12 06:29 AM
    ...$149.00. That sort of pricing will likely never be seen again.
    That prediction is diametrically opposed to decades of high-tech reality. It's more likely that the tablet market will be swamped with high quality no-name Android tablets in the $100 price range, putting downward pressure on other options. It's already started...
    05-06-12 07:50 AM

Many people also concluded that they wouldn't pay $499 for any tablet. Some people stated that the major factor in their decision to buy the Playbook was its deeply discounted price
    And the person that started that other poll is now banned, just saying.
    05-06-12 08:08 AM
    PB hands down. I don't like the others and win8 isn't out yet.
    05-06-12 08:12 AM
    At the moment, there is no other tablet I would buy.
    My main reason for the Playbook was the fact that its 7", and a descent quality.

I find the ipad too big, and most android tablets feel a bit cheap usually (due to cheap plastic, or general feeling of bad quality).

If, Apple however would bring out a 7" tablet, for the same price as the Playbook, and I would need a new tablet, I would think about it.

Though I guess before that happends, RIM will have released the new OS for the PB, and I'll be even more in love with my PB :-)
    Last edited by DearGod; 05-06-12 at 03:50 PM.
    05-06-12 08:29 AM
    Honestly, at $200 I'd probably get one tablet with each mobile OS; there are genuine positives with the Playbook (user interface, portability), the iPad (apps, screen resolution on the iPad 3/HD), and some Android tablets (keyboard dock/tablet-laptop hybrid with the Transformer/Transformer Prime). If I could only buy one tablet at $200 however, I'd probably wait for a Windows 8 tablet, especially one with a keyboard dock.
    MrBugMan likes this.
    05-06-12 09:03 AM
    The current playbook wouldn't sell truck loads at $500 but the BB10 playbook could when shortcomings are gone

IMO...swiping-flowing UI, TATalizing native goodness, seamless PIM and cross-platform video chat app, stellar media capabilities, eye popping screen, Cascades built into apps, top apps in App World, bridge with more features, seamless DNLA, etc...It will be a $500 tablet
    05-06-12 09:11 AM
    I have all of the above. LOL I use my PB mostly for browsing, emails and calendar. Waiting now very impatiently for a few real business essential apps and bluetooth printing. As well as a real GPS app.

Even though my Galaxy 7.0 plus has all that, I find the tablet to be buggy and inefficient with its screen realestate. The PB UI fits the 7in screen real nice.

I am at the point where I really need a tablet to be a grown up device and be able to run a full PC experience. I need QuickBooks to be native. I need office apps to be full functioning and Native. And need to be able to do this in a Tablet PC environment that has a nice Navigation UI so I do not need a pen stylus to move from one App to another or data field etc..

I hope MS does not screw up Windows 8.

I have no intention of vetting a Win 8 Tablet with a screen smaller then 10 inches, therefore, I do not see me getting rid of my PB anytime soon.
    05-06-12 09:33 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD