Ok, so I know this isn't really going to happen, but anyways....

One of my biggest complaints about the iPad (and any other tablet) is the lack of a physical keyboard. I don't like typing on touchscreens, especially big ones. So, that got me thinking (dangerous, i know...). What if they came out with a Tablet but with a slider keyboard that would angle itself as it was pulled out. Just like the Torch, it could be used with or without the keyboard. What I mean would look something like this:
    |
    |
    .\

but the keyboard would slide out at even more of an angle so it could pretty much sit on the keyboard and a stand like the EVO has. I know it wouldn't be easy, but if they could do something like this right, it would be the perfect hybrid tablet/netbook/laptop device.

Thoughts?
    07-14-10 08:21 AM
    Put in a USB port and let me control my content and I'd buy one. What are you waiting for . . . get to work!
    07-14-10 08:40 AM
    USB port with support for USB input devices (keyboard and mouse) would be great...

Scott
    07-14-10 02:35 PM
    Actually, I heard that the tablet might have a slide out keyboard. We'll see I guess; I got the info third hand (some one told me they read it online, I think on the boygenius site; they gave a link but I didn't read it) so don't hold me to that though
    That would be good if the keyboard angled though, and wouldn't be too hard to set it up to do it that way. Hopefully...
    07-15-10 10:53 AM
    I believe I've seen phones with angled slide out keyboards. It'd be awesome to have that option with a built in stand like the EVO. I doubt RIM will take the risk on this Tablet, but maybe some time down the road...
    07-15-10 11:22 AM
    It would certainly make me more likely to buy one. A physical keyboard (or maybe even handwriting recognition with a stylus or both) I think would be a requirement for me to purchase one. That (and waiting for more functionality) is the reason I haven't bought a tablet/Ipad yet.
    07-15-10 08:25 PM
    i doubt you will ever see a slide out keyboard on a tablet it kinda ruins the idea of a flat touchscreen computer that compact. Personally i do believe that usb support for a plug in keyboard is a must have for any tablet (not for me personally) that wants to attract a larger consumer base.
    07-17-10 01:19 PM
    Actually, I heard that the tablet might have a slide out keyboard. We'll see I guess; I got the info third hand (some one told me they read it online, I think on the boygenius site; they gave a link but I didn't read it) so don't hold me to that though
    That would be good if the keyboard angled though, and wouldn't be too hard to set it up to do it that way. Hopefully...
    i rember reading this on BGR or engadge it was one of the two...it wasnt a very in depth article i dont count it as any solid yes on this option but it would be really cool i would look up and link the article if i wasnt at work where most web sites are blocked(CB isnt tho) ill try and find it and edit when i get home tonight/tomarow moning depending on how you want to look at it
    08-29-10 12:02 AM
    hmm better off getting a tablet pc's.. you know those ones that have been out for ages and actually work better as a computer :P

The ipad can connect to a keyboard using their own proprietary port *shudder* but that doesn't excuse them for at least putting in one USB connector.

I think the idea of putting a sliding keyboard is sound but it will add some heft to the tablet and to some people, movable parts which i think is a poor excuse if you're trying to discredit a product...

I think the appeal of a tablet like the ipad is keeping it light as possible but I do think its far more important that RIM gets the OS right, the amount of ports right (i.e more than just a proprietary port and that really shouldn't be too hard right?)

and you'll eventually see accessories and people flock to it if you get the hardware and its niche right, whatever niche that may be.

personally i'd much prefer to get a notebook but judging by the success of the ipad, there are uses out there for it such as using it for ebooks but then i'd get a kindle/generic ebook reader but that's just me.

interesting to see how RIM markets this if it eventuates!
    08-29-10 08:09 AM

The ipad can connect to a keyboard using their own proprietary port *shudder* but that doesn't excuse them for at least putting in one USB connector.
    iPad also connects to any Bluetooth keyboard that supports the HID profile.
    08-29-10 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD